BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] And So It Begins Again!

Nice to get another win and clean sheet under our belts.

I wonder if, with Nissa on form, we may be seeing a lot more of Matteo in central midfield. I don't know if he has the mobility to perform there, but Souness seems to by experimenting with all options.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be arsed doing a big match report - just a few details. Rovers were fairly crap in the first half without ever looking in trouble, but improved in the 2nd half.

Star players were Matteo (who played in midfield first half and defence in the 2nd) and Yorke - who looked lively the whole game and combined well with Stead.

Neill's goal (the first) was a cracker from about 25 yards out, although it was the first good thing he did in the game. The second goal came from a great run from deep in defence by Matteo, who then laid it off wide to Stead, who then crossed it expertly to Gally, who scored a tap-in.

Another notable event was Souness playing Gresko and Gray in tandem down the left throughout the first half. They linked up well (why didn't he do it last season?).

The most disappointing players were Neill (until the goal) and Emerton. I'm also a bit worried about Ferguson. I know it's pre-season and he's just come back and all that but he looked off the pace for most of the time tonight. he was eventually subbed halfway through the 2nd half. I hope his knee's not giving him more trouble than the club are letting on.

All in all a decent workout and an OK performance. We restricted them to only one or two chances and took our goals well, without ever looking too brilliant. Early days yet though.

If he's doing a good job there then why the hell is it a problem?

As an aside, Neil Yardley just said "And it's Emerton, one on one with his man, he comes inside, ball onto his left foot and he turns away......"

Glad to hear an improvement dry.gif

There is no problem Neil but sadly some people who probably haven't even seen him seem to have a downer on him. As I said tonight he is not going to set the world alight but playing in front of the back four he will give us real solidity. Nice to see Yorke pay well again even if it was only a friendly.

Got to agree with Scotty's report. In addition......

It was a bit of a kick - about with nothing serious at stake.

Johansson & Amarouso were very comfy at the back & dealt with the little that County chucked their way.

Matteo's a big sod with a number one cut, he did really well to get past three County midfielders to set up Stead who then set up Gallagher for his

tap-in.

Gresko & Grey came off at half time for Reid & Gallagher. Neill moved to left back, Reid took his place at right back. Gallagher went wide left, he didn't look too comfy.

Ferguson was replaced by Toogs halfway through the second half (Amo took the armband) and Toogs strolled around for 20 minutes popping experimental passes for his invisible squirrel friend.

Dickov came on for Nils-Eric with ten minutes to go. Nothing to report there really except for a spectacular leap at County's keeper as he booted out the ball.

Maybe one day it will ricochet of Dichov's arse and land in the opposition's goal and we will all hail him as a saviour, but don't hold your breath

I am currently looking at serveral messageboards and the official site which let me know about the power cut !

There was one in Mellor at roughly the same time. Only for about 15 mins.

What power cut ? I didnt notice that !

Accyrover

alls well then.

another pre season win.

the winning habit needs to be continued on Saturday. it can only bode well as well in particular if we dont get any more injuries.

can anyone tell us how the team played overall ?

We looked fairly comfortable at the back, although Nils-Eric made a couple of blunders. Amo looked solid. Matteo started off in midfield in the 1st half but dropped back into CD in the 2nd. Great run to set up 2nd goal. very impressed with his workrate.

Fergy looked comfortable in midfield but Emerton is still an enigma. Gally looked lost on the left wing. Stead worked his socks off. I hate to say it but Yorke was our best player.

Gresko looked good on the left wing in the 1st half and Gray was his usual industrious self.

All in all a fairly comfortable win. Poor showing from the Stockport faithfull though. We made more noise than they did.

Accyrover

Edited by accyrover

I hate to say it but Yorke was our best player.

Regardless of the ifs and buts surrounding his future with the club, I cannot see any reason whatsoever for not keeping him in the squad. It's just a waste of money and resources.

Same with Andy Todd, although it seems Wigan are preparing to take him JJB-way very soon.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I hate to say it but Yorke was our best player.

Regardless of the ifs and buts surrounding his future with the club, I cannot see any reason whatsoever for not keeping him in the squad. It's just a waste of money and resources.

Same with Andy Todd, although it seems Wigan are preparing to take him JJB-way very soon.

I was wondering if there was any way back for Todd given Yorke's miraculous pheonix from the ashes type situation.

Guess the difference is someone's willing to pay something for Todd, but no-one's willing to take on Yorke's wages.

Rev, perhaps the primary reason is that while the club has a number of central defenders, strikers seem to be in short supply.

Ermm........Amoruso, Short, Matteo, Johansson (Todd, McEveley)

Stead, Gally, Dickov, Jansen (Yorke)

Dead heat? huh.gif

Yeah, 4 solid veteran central defenders and a promising youngster versus 2 promising youngsters, one veteran who everyone says is relegation fodder and one player who everyone keeps hoping year after year will get his form back. I'm with Philly on this one.

Enckleman - looked solid, no worries about him taking over from Brad

Neill - Worst player for us last night IMHO, his ball distribution is appalling, the only thing he got where he wanted it was the goal, which was superb. (Although mrs stuwilky thought it was a cross gone wrong!)

Amo - relatively solid, still worries me for pace.

Nissa - 'bout time he got a run in the first team, played well about from one or two little blunder, one of which nearly cost us a goal

Gray - excellent again

Gresko - linked extremely well with Gray, needs to work on his shooting if he is going to keep doing it!

Ferguson - Personally I thougt he did well, very mobile and some pinpoint passing

Emerton - frustating, he can do it, why doesn't he?

Matteo - thought he was much better in the second half and Centre Half. His surging run creating the second goal

Yorke - again, one of the best players on the park. My concern, is he playing for us, or is he playing in the shop window? I can't stand the guy personally but he works hard then lets keep him.

Stead - quiet game for the lad, looks to have 'bulked' out a bit from last season and held defenders off reasonably well.

SUBS

Tugay - was just Tugay.

Dickov - not long enough to make an impact, he's a nippy little bugger though!

Gally - not sure how long he played yesterday, but he looked tired

Reid - has a habit of leaving us exposed at the back, looks confident going forward.

And a note on the new kit, if Dwight's number coming off last night is an indicator of the quality of the numbering dont do it!!

On a side note that tackle on Dickov waqs outrageous but can someone explain to me why he had to leave the field of play? My understanding was that if the player who committed the foul was booked you didn't have to leave?

Edited by stuwilky

Dwight's number falling off might be an indicator of the fact he wasn't going to get one!

Clubs often have a pre-season agreement that rather than red carding a player, they get subbed immediately.

Very disturbing that our Australian contingent on the right are continuing to play horribly badly.

I am much more worried about those two than any other aspect of the squad- up front, Stead, Gally, Dickov, Jansen and Yorke (its more than odds on that will be our choice when we kick off against WBA) are not world beaters but they can hack it in the Prem. But if its all going down under on one flank, we are in deep trouble.

Will be interesting to get the SCFC fans' views on last night.

Incidentally, just seen that Palace bet Sporting 1-0 last night.

Edited by philipl

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! De Pedro has a thigh strain 'similar to that of Brad' according to Neil Yardley, Rovers World. Unlikely to be playing until West Brom sad.gif

Does anybody have any further information on this ?

That would be bloody typical !

Interesting views on here but looks like some things haven't changed.

Viewpoint from Stockport fan here at work says we always looked like we could step up a gear which he says is expected - to me this is a positive as last years pre season we didn't and you could tell we looked in for a bad year, as proved.

Said he was a bit disappointed by his lot as he expected more from them as much of their fans do this season, but also said we where awful first half (as confimed on here) but we improved considerably in the second. Also added that our midfield will have to improve somewhat on its passing, alot of balls going astray and poorly placed but said overall you could certainly tell the difference between the Division status.

Says Yorke looked good and had a number of chances to score.

Sad Dickov seemed to up the tempo for Rovers when he came on and looks a decent buy.

Emmerton - who's he - did he play?

To me its sounds ok for the first game back on Blightly, but Saturday will be a tester.

After reading all the reports I get the story that we were ok, however Stockport only had 1, maybe 2 chances.

That to me says job well done, as after all souness has stated before. Performance is not important, just the fitness. And if we are managing to limit teams chances then that says to me a job well done.

Gally may of looked poor on the left but how many has he now scored in pre season? 5?

Most important things about last night were the fitness and the defence, and once again we kept a clean sheet. This fills me with lots of optimism as we all know that Blackburn can usually always score goals.

if its all going down under on one flank, we are in deep trouble

Not sure about that one.

You often find that teams who have a significantly better player on one side than on the other actually do quite well. Maybe it ain't such a bad idea having one flank as your attacking outlet and one as a defensive one? Sounds strange but quite a few teams seem to do it now. I personally woud give Emerton a do at right back and try playing Thommo on the right hand side.

Well played lads your fitness showed in the second half and you outplayed us in the second half. Your first goal was very good which even we clapped for and your second was well worked!!!

We did give you a run for your money in the first 20 minutes though didnt we?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.