BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] And So It Begins Again!

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post 1864roverite, agree with everything you’ve said there.

Souness has said that the team spirit and the environment are now better than it has ever been.

Gallagher has impressed and what’s good for the team is that Gally is scoring goals now and has the confidence to perform. Not only is it Gally`s goal to go out, perform well and achieve a place in the side, but it also makes the decision a lot harder for Souness with competition for places.

I can’t wait to see Thommo and Barry within the next seven games. I reckon that both will play at Preston in giving them a good test in the game.

The winning can only be good, confidence will be high in going into the opening few games of the season, it’s important the players work hard for each other as well as themselves.

BLACKBURN BEAT BOHEMIANS

Edited by roversismylife

In the dim and distant past I remember Rovers playing Prague Bohemians in a pre season friendly at Ewood. It was one of my first games and seemed very glamourous. I think we may have won 4-0, does anyone else recall this or is my imagination playing tricks?

It was on the 12th April 1972.

(My first Rovers match !!).

I only went to see the kangaroo, which was Prague's mascot, but was annoyed that they didn't bring it. They had a picture of one on their club badge, though, which wasn't the same.

I spent most of the game embarassing my older brother by shouting out 'which one's Bobby Charlton ?!' at the top of my voice and making a rocket out of old MaxPax coffee cups, which I couldn't take home, so that was another downer.

Still, we all have to start somewhere !

It was on the 12th April 1972.

(My first Rovers match !!).

I only went to see the kangaroo, which was Prague's mascot, but was annoyed that they didn't bring it. They had a picture of one on their club badge, though, which wasn't the same.

I don't see the link between a kangaroo and a Prague-based football club. Maybe there isn't one.

Edit: Cheers, Fourlaneblue for the post below.

Couldn't find anything on their website about it.

Edited by rover6

Apparently they went on a tour of Australia in the 1920s leading to them being referred to as 'the kangeroos' and the nickname has stuck ever since.

So there's your link anyway.

EDIT - From The Rough guide to European Football : A Fans' Handbook - "Colloquially known as bohemka and also nicknamed the Kangeroos after a tour of Australia in 1926"

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Personally

I think todays result is an excellent end to the tour. Overall I would think the club and back room staff are happy with the preperations done so far.

Positives

good results

clean sheets

penalt shoot out win

gallagher on fire

penalty scored

clean sheets

minor knocks and bruises (awaiting to be confirmed)

good team spirit

plenty of football for everyone

negatives

hard to see any at the moment although we do appear to be a bit thin on the ground with experience up front.

Now the next stage of our temas preperation begins in earnest with next weekends match at Preston.

Am really looking forward to it like everyone else I'm sure.

tinykit.gif

I would add Nils -Johansson to that list of Positives for me has being the outstanding player of this Germany tour.

rover.gif anyone who went to the blue camp,this season would have been dismayed that nissa did not play in the next game after his preformance that day,i thought when he and taylor played at gold trafford 3 season's back that they were superb,and we had a central defence for years to come. tinykit.gif

rover.gif anyone who went to the blue camp,this season would have been dismayed that nissa did not play in the next game after his preformance that day,i thought when he and taylor played at gold trafford 3 season's back that they were superb,and we had a central defence for years to come. tinykit.gif

For an example as to why Martin Taylor didnt make it at Rovers, look no further than the reverse fixture with Man City last season.

Diabolical.

So far so good. Only one worrying injury (to Friedel) and by all accounts all players have been at least OK with two fringe players outstanding- Gresko and Nissa. That at least should increase the competitive pressure for places which is excellent news.

Any sign of Matty getting back to form or Emerton showing something like?

Thanks to the lads in Germany- great reports back!

I remember going to see the Rovers play the Prague club sometime in the early 70s, at Ewood Park.

Anyone know the details?  (I think we won).

Unbelievable! Do you actually read anything anyone else says?

Where is Freddy Adu??

For those who saw him - will De Pedro add much to the side this coming season? Is he as good as we crack him up to be?

theres a good article in LET, they claim he provides 4 chances from the left with an early cross, looks like he has some ability

rovers team V Stockport:

Enckelman, Neill, Amoruso, Johansson, Gray, Emerton, Matteo, Ferguson, Gresko, Stead, Yorke.

Subs: Yelldell, Gallagher, Dickov, Tugay, Reid.

Stockport:

Cutler, Geary, Adam, Mair, Williams, Adams, Cartwright, Feeney, Beckett, Lambert, Bridge-Wilkinson.

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! De Pedro has a thigh strain 'similar to that of Brad' according to Neil Yardley, Rovers World. Unlikely to be playing until West Brom sad.gif

Stockport sound a bit lively......

What radio station is it on?

RadioRovers

Yorke starting the game, a bloody shame... (almost score when I was typing, get him off... dry.gif )

Another thing to worry about, Matteo is playing centre midfield again..oh dear oh dear... sad.gif

Edited by krislu

What radio station is it on?

RadioRovers

Yorke starting the game, a bloody shame... (almost score when I was typing, get him off... dry.gif )

Another thing to worry about, Matteo is playing centre midfield..oh dear oh dear... sad.gif

I am getting a bit concerned by this Matteo in the middle stuff. Yorke is obviously not really looking likely to start in the first team, but the rest of the side do (De Pedro apart obviously). If Thompson was really going to be the partner for Ferguson would he not of featured today rather than yesterday.

Hmmmm..... SOuney must be at least thinking of playing Matteo there.

Dont do it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.