BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

He'll do OK up there for a few months. Weed out the trouble makers (like we don't know who they are already - c'mon Sir Bobby you should have known better) and steady the ship.

The real fun will start when he gets a few bob to spend. Not a ruddy clue.

I've read on here that he'll be back for our star signings. Neill? Tugay? Ferguson? Amo? Stead? - Can't see it at all.

The back room team have gone with him if reports are to be believed. That's Murray and Boersma. Schmashhhing. I expect they'll be helping Graeme whip the bad boys into line up at the Toon.

Surprisingly no place for the Lord of Darkness himself - Mr Saunders? Wonder why that was? Had an opinion or two? I'll not mention Mr Parkes "demotion". After all, he hasn't.

Of course it paints a bad picture of our former manager. What do you expect? I'm a Blackburn Rovers Supporter - I do exactly what it says on the tin (see also the top left hand corner of this page).

I liked Souness. Promotion and a Cup. There aren't many who get that in a lifetime of watching their team. I wanted him to get it right. He talked a good game. BUT even I got fed up with hearing about the rub of the green, lady luck, the referee, injuries, lady luck, the referee, just not our day, the fourth official and lady luck.

Enough. Thank you Fat Freddie - saved us some money in all probability - in fact you've actually given us some money. How kind of you.

As for us. Let's have someone who is tactically astute. Who isn't afraid to attack when at home (The West Brom game did it for me). Let's even push the boat out and play with two wingers ohmy.gif - let them worry about us. Let's attack - let them worry about coming to Ewood - and not the other way around.

For those of you going to Newcastle on Saturday - do us proud. We love this club. I don't think they're quite so keen up there about their own at the moment. Rub it in a bit.

Oh to be able to run off to a big club eh? They have all the money and all the answers.

And despite all that I'd buy him a pint tomorrow if I met him (Same as you C. Sidders) - it would probably turn into a bottle of red wine though, and rightly so. I'd have quite a few questions for him.

Keep The Faith tinykit.gif .

Edited by bob fleming

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel abit sorry for Graeme, it seems the whole of Newcastle hates him before hes been given a chance. I hope he does well at Newcastle

Really? I don't. And it's not because of the "betrayal". It's because he is no longer works for Blackburn and any success he has may come at the expense of Rovers. I couldn't care less about Newcastle's lack of trophies, poor discipline except that if they are in any kind of turmoil it's good news for Rovers when we play them. This is a contest after all, success has to be had at the expense of others.

Edited by samtheozzy

Another couple of losses and we might have sacked him and then had to pay him out.

As it is, we get a pay off from Toon and I don't think a new voice is going to be a problem for the players.

As long as we get the right bloke .. that is critical otherwise this could be a turning point we look back on at the end of the season.

Quite a shock to me personally but I imagine Souey was on shaky ground.

I think this is a blessing in disguise and probably good for all parties except Newcastle !

Like most of the posts before me Souness had a good 2 to 3 years at Rovers, but last season and the start of this has totally lost the plot.

I could never fathom why we aimed for Europe got there, then Souness's negativity comes in to play saying survival is all that matters and Europe is not important.

While we all agree Premier survival is most important this hardly instills any confidence in the team or is likely to enthuse the supporters. Hence in my view one of the reasons for the decline in season tickets.

After digesting the news that Souness has gone I feel optimistic about the season ahead so long as the Board choose carefully.

It would be nice to have players play in their natural positions, actually attack at home and make Ewood Park again a place where the home supporters actually look forward to going to on a Saturday afternoon.

The doom and gloom is lifting around Ewood but only results and a credible manager will invigorate the supporters.

My feeling is Gordon Strachan, I would love to have Martin O' Neil but we must not go for the likes of Venables, Houllier or unproven managers at this level. I have every confidence in JW and the board.

I can just imagine the size of the Smile on Jim,'s face. smile.gif

According to tribal (yeah I know, but still smile.gif ) Souness was close to being forced out of Blackburn and therfore went to Newcastle before we got the chance to sack him.

The relationship with John Williams was apparently fading:

"John walked in and the gaffer (Souness) stood up and shouted 'F*** off. Everyone's sick of you coming here moaning. If you come in again, you will get the same as that'."

Why am I not suprised?

Edited by krislu

Cannot not believe the news i'n hearing!!

Very surprised he's left just as i thought we may of been turning a corner. Fair enough he couldn't say no but just after we signed a couple of players. My biggest concern is how this will effect all the players?? I really hope they respond well and perfrom for tony untill a new man is appointed. I fear this appointment could show what direction the club is heading. I hope we appoint a good coach like strachan as we have a decent squad but no money. I really am scared if we appoint a below par manager it could be goodnight.

Where do you think I found it? wink.gif

EDIT: Btw, Newsnow is a search engine that search through a selection of sites every five minutes or so - that's why BRFCS.COM and also that Gers-site can be found there. If the name Blackburn is mentioned in one of these sites, they will appear on newsnow.

It's not quite as simple as that. Alan75 works very hard to make sure our news stories are picked up by Newsnow. The stories have to be quite carefully constructed to ensure they are picked up.

Perhaps there's a slight whiff of coruption in the move.

Guardian Link

If you search the Newcastle Independent sites there is a lot more alluding to this subject. The link I posted last night seems to be in the same area, takes a bit of reading though;

Paul

This thread from Newcastle is worth reading:

http://www.howaythetoon.com/forum/showthre...15&pagenumber=1

Despite the headline, it looks as though nothing is settled yet regarding Saunders and Boersma. Murray doesn't get mentioned.

John Williams again shows his media skills here. I like the line that we had plenty of banter that Freddie Sheppard and others can now look forwards to. laugh.gif

He nicely defuses the stories that Souey was about to get the sack before commenting on last year being"!disappointing".

The teamtalk quotes are from JW's Five Live interview this morning. He sounded in very good form and immediatley brought a smile to my face. We've lost our manager and I feel confident in the future, a big contrast to the reports coming out of Newcastle independent sites and their views on Freddie Shepherd.

Williams is in control and will steer us in the right direction smile.gif

I miss the news for a single day and this happens.

I'm in a bit of shock right now, I definitely wasn't expecting this. Souness wasn't doing that good this season but I thought we were gonna keep him for longer. But what has really surprised me is that we haven't sacked him, he's simply gone for the lure of the bigger club. Very disappointing.

He achieved some great things with Rovers, so still I wish him all the best with Newcastle. Just not on Saturday ofcourse.

I miss the news for a single day and this happens.

I'm in a bit of shock right now, I definitely wasn't expecting this. Souness wasn't doing that good this season but I thought we were gonna keep him for longer. But what has really surprised me is that we haven't sacked him, he's simply gone for the lure of the bigger club. Very disappointing.

He achieved some great things with Rovers, so still I wish him all the best with Newcastle. Just not on Saturday ofcourse.

How can you be dissapointed we didn`t sack him. That would have cost us money. On top of that, Toon have had to pay us. Bloody laughing we are, laughing.

Barry Ferguson on Souey's departure. Obviously has a high regard for Souness but gives the game away when he says if anyone disagreed they were gone.

Hopefully, he won't miss the little black rule book and the fines lan Murray handed out if players parked too close to the Training Ground- although I wonder if that story is designed for the consumption of the spoilt brat Newcastle players.

Rovers have confirmed Alan Murrya, Phil Boersma and Dean Saunders will all follow Souness to Newcastle.

That will make the caretaker team at Newcastle feel really good ahead of Saturday's game. rover.gif

Tony Parkes must have a suite of offices all to himself now.

Given the tactical inadequacies displayed in the first two games this season, I don't think they were the best backroom team around although Murray seemed to get good results at the Academy and Souness was credited with giving Duff the ability to shoot straight. Many felt the Rovers suffered when Boersma stepped back a couple of seasons ago.

However, to the extent it was a team achievement, some of the well-deserved plaudits for Souness' first three full seasons at the Rovers must belong to the backroom boys and for that we must be thnkful and wish them well.

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.