SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On reflection, I am neutral about his departure - perhaps a case of walk now before being pushed in a few weeks. GS has achieved a lot for Rovers and I will have many happy memories - stuffing Burnley, promotion, a great day out in Cardiff and beating the likes of Arsenal and MU. However I think GS had taken the club as far as he could - he has gone off the boil over the last 12 months, as he seems to have done at all of the clubs he has managed previously.

I wish him well and I am looking forward to hearing of training ground spats with the likes of Dyer , Bellamy and Shearer - all of whom have big ego's. Will he get Dyer to play right wing ?!

Perhaps the best news is that Deano et al are relocating with him - I personally never rated his coaching staff.

I just hope that he does not try and steal our squad / academy come the January sales - what price Shearer back in a Rovers shirt to end his career ?

Where do you think I found it? wink.gif

EDIT: Btw, Newsnow is a search engine that search through a selection of sites every five minutes or so - that's why BRFCS.COM and also that Gers-site can be found there. If the name Blackburn is mentioned in one of these sites, they will appear on newsnow.

Edited by herbergeehh

Aware of that, Sam, but still... rolleyes.gif

The story did sound a bit too dramatic though.. wink.gif

Advocaat, Hoddle and Houllier - S T A Y A W A Y ! ! !

Also the secound to last paragraph gives it away abit.

"His first duty at Ewood Park will be to complete the signing of on-loan USA international midfielder Myred Herring."

Oh well, at least it got me excited for a few minutes.. dry.gif

EDIT: I also hope Souness will prove certain people wrong for Newcastle, with good results and some shrewd business. (without stealing from us obviously, if I see a Newcastle bid for Stead or something - my sympathy for Souness will be gone in a second.)

Good luck Graeme, go get those Geordie primadonnas! wink.gif

Edited by herbergeehh

Pre-GS....................GS-Div1........................GS-6th-pos...................NOW

Kelly...................Friedel............................Friedel.....................Friedel

Kenna................Curtis..............................Neill.........................Neill

Short..................Berg...............................Short.......................Short

Dailly..................Short...............................Berg........................Amoruso

Davidson............Bjornbye.........................Bjornbye...................Gray

Gillespie..............Gillespie.........................Gillespie.....................Emerton

McAteer...............Flitcroft...........................Flitcroft....................Tugay

Dunn...................Dunn...............................Dunn.......................Ferguson

Duff.....................Duff.................................Duff..........................Pedersen

Ward...................Bent................................Cole.........................Dickov

Jansen.................Jansen............................Jansen.....................Stead

He took us forward, we peaked, the decline had started!! he should have gone at the end of last season, goodbye greame thanks for the turn around, the promotion, the worthy cup and the the 6th place, but you should have gone at the end of last season, you had let pride get in the way of the team and its good you have gone, I WILL NOT MISS HIS STUPID SAYINGS, OR HIS CONTRADICTIONS OR HIS TALKING RUBBISH, take 'lady luck, those proper players and all the big boys" with you.

"best squad since I've been here" - just one example of 'talking b******s with Greame Souness' as I preferred to call his interviews recently.

Edited by laughatthedingles

Actually this most reminds me of when we sold Mike Newall. I couldn't believe he'd finally gone, and we'd got real CASH MONEY for him!

I feel like that about Souness and the backroom "staff" he employed. And this time it's WITHOUT the feeling that someone important will leave (shearer) at the same time - we have no-one important to lose any more.

Just a shame that he didnt get the chance to make it 4 great seasons outa 5 this yr.

laugh.gif

You keep believeing that! In my book, 2 points out of a possible 12 and second bottom in the league is simply not good enough.

Sorry, i didnt realise the season was over already. Oh well united can always try the champs league next yr!!

Edited by BRFC4EVA

It was at least arguable that if Souness had stayed and had been unable to turn the situation around, he would have been sacked.In many ways this would have been disastrous in terms of PR-Souness has many friends amongst the media,and comes across well in the media,so that is one problem we have avoided.

I've just seen the comments made by John Williams on the local news (all three nanoseconds of it - thank you BBC North West mad.gif ) and he seemed to say "He's gone, so what, let's get someone new in" and not a lot of sentiment, which suggested that his decision to go was mutually acceptable and on the cards one way or another.

When I heard the news this morning I was somewhat astounded and a little bit angry as it felt like we'd been left in the lurch, but as the day has gone on I've come round to the view (like many others) that maybe a change is overdue and this is probably the most painless way to do it.

It feels a bit weird to have a manager leave us without being sacked or "promoted" to director of football (was Kendall the last to leave us for a new love?), but on balance I have good feelings about Souness. He turned us round when we were in a potentially disastrous position, returned us to the promised land and picked up a cup along the way. He dumped some deadweights and instilled a discipline in the club that was so sadly lacking under Harford, Hodgson and Kidd. We also had another two short-lived forays into Europe and we have some superb players such as Friedel, Tugay, Ferguson and Stead (to name just a few) that other managers might not have picked up. Not bad all things considered.

On the downside he bought some duds and although there are too many to mention, the Grabbi signing has to go down as even worse than Kevin Davies and still makes me feel sick just thinking about it. We also had to put up with some disastrous team selections and the departure of some genuinely treasured players. That said, would the likes of Duff and Dunn have stayed even with anyone else at the helm? Dunn maybe, but Duff was always going to be out of the door once one of the rich clubs stumped up the readies.

On balance, I think it would be very harsh to suggest that Souness' achievements were less than his failings so I'll no doubt look back on the last few years with a certain degree of satisfaction and I have no hard feelings. As for the man himself, if I ever met him I'd buy him a pint for his achievements but expect one in return as reparations for making us put up with Grabbi.

He won't have an easy time at Newcastle and nothing less than a trophy or a top 4 finish will appease the Geordie hordes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did either or even both. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he was out of a job by next May either.

Why on earth is that "having a pop"? I think Henning was VERY fair, considering what the maggot did to him. And he's absolutely right- Souness has "managed to sell" Duff, Dunn etc! and only one of the four sales he mentioned was sensible.

Why on earth is that "having a pop"? I think Henning was VERY fair, considering what the maggot did to him. And he's absolutely right- Souness has "managed to sell" Duff, Dunn etc! and only one of the four sales he mentioned was sensible.

Duff Dunn etc ?

He had no control over the Duff sale and as for Dunn, apaprently Birmingham fans call Souness Dick Turpin for the money he stole off them in exchange for Dunn and Taylor.

Souness did a fantastic job at Rovers and the old saying about leaving a club in a better state than when he came, sticks anyone knocking Souness' argument right up their a4se!

I know Souness as a manager and he has got several weaknesses. I will not comment on what the weaknesses of Souness are, but results in the past have been weak considering the players and money the club have. It's good for Blackburn as a club too, I'm in fact a bit surprised that Newcastle chose him.

If thats not having a bit of a pop I don't know what is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.