SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rovers have confirmed Alan Murrya, Phil Boersma and Dean Saunders will all follow Souness to Newcastle.

"The Evil One" as well? Any mention of him taking his DeanoCards and our having to return to using Season Ticket books?

Couldn't be happier.

Even a day after it's a bit of a shock. He did very well initially for Rovers but last season was frustrating. I'm a little sad to see him go, he's given us some great memories (promotion, Worthy Cup, 6th place) but I think him leaving may not be a bad thing at all as desperately need some new ideas.

On the plus side, we've managed to get compensation for someone who was increasingly under pressure and was potentially facing the sack. His recent team selections and formations smacked of someone who was beginning to panic (although he's always gone for unusual selections and tactics). However, I'll miss his touchline antics and post match interviews (when he was calm enough to give one!).

I’ve been away on holiday - far away from all contact with the civilized world, t’internet and football-related news. Where the only company was the occasional strange-looking beast lumbering past, seemingly oblivious to my presence. The air was alive with a strange buzzing sound from some indeterminable source. The only other sound in this humid, desolate place was a strange, child-like laughter emanating from the Fireman Sam Carousel.

Imagine my surprise when I got home from St. Annes Pier to find that Blackburn Rovers was in complete disarray – even more so than when I left. Yorke gone, Souey gone and Deano on his way. I can’t bring myself to be disappointed at Souey’s departure but I’m obviously as disappointed and disgusted as everyone else that Deano is to follow him to Newcastle. I think it’s a disgrace if Rovers allow him and his innovations to leave and I will definitely not be buying a new kit now. At least not until I know whether he’s taken his Deanoglue™ with him.

I’m nervous about who the new man in charge might be. Some of the names mentioned are uninspiring to say the least. Houllier? Please no! My own choice would be Strachan. I can never tell what he says but, when it’s translated and printed in the papers, it’s normally funny and I like that.

The underlings are making their way to Newcastle?

No surprise, after all, I've never heard or read any of the trio voicing an opinion that varied from Souness' view. 'Yes-men' I suspect and again, good riddance.

Another thing, interesting to note that Ciaran Donnelly has not been included for the reserves tonight. Which could possibly mean that Tony Parkes will make the first big decision of his latest reign by promoting Ciaran to first team duties. Good on you, Tony, if this is the case.

Edited by rover6

No surprise, after all, I've never heard or read any of the trio voicing an opinion that varied from Souness' view. 'Yes-men' I suspect and again, good riddance.

I never expected anything else. I used to drink regularly with Phil Boersma. A terrific bloke who has been loyal to Souness (and the other way around) for years. When you appoint Souness, you appoint Phil, it's as simple as that. Why would he go against him. He's Graeme's man and that is the way it should be.

What chance he starts to rape the club of our best players?

Don't be surprised if Souness attempts to do to Rovers what he did with Rangers. From what I've read, Blackburn fans have been quite understanding about Souness leaving - but I wonder what you'll feel like should he return to snap up Ferguson and some other Ewood stars ?

Edited by RangerRover

With JW's good relationship with Souness I wonder if we could pick up any of their players on the cheap come January.

I'm sure there will be a number of players who he will believe are surplus to requiremnts who might relish a move to get first team football. I know he carries a bit of baggage but if we could get Bowyer on loan it could be useful. He hasn't got back to his top form at Newcastle but he is young enough to turn his career around and get himself back in the England setup

What chance he starts to rape the club of our best players?

Don't be surprised if Souness attempts to do to Rovers what he did with Rangers. From what I've read, Blackburn fans have been quite understanding about Souness leaving - but I wonder what you'll feel like should he return to snap up Ferguson and some other Ewood stars ?

I'll be gutted if that happens, but lets look at it realistically.

Souness will have a reported £20 million at his disposal, so I think he will be aiming a little higher than the players we now have.

Who do we have that would get in their team?

Given has been one of Newcastles best players for years. Someone mentioned on here that they thought he was error prone, but i'd be very suprised if souness went for Brad at his age.

Fergie - I guess he would only go if souness sold some of the 10 midfielders he already has at Newcastle.

Stead. - no chance. he's just not good enough. They have a lot of money to spend so souness will not need to gamble on players tat may or may not make the grade.

I feel let dowm by him. he has spent all of the clubs mnoey then leaves at the frist chance,

the club now is in a right mess and it needs to be sorted out, the board and most of he fans backed GS shame he could not do the same.

what would he do if a player did want he has just done, its ok being hard, but what you expect from players you have to expect from yourself, it looks like GS baxck up the dont do what I do do what a say saying. a sad day all round

To judge from his transfer record over the years, Souness usually buys those players he knows and trusts.

Expect him to go for (in no particular order):

Friedel, Ferguson, Tugay, Stead, Neill and one or two rising Academy stars.

We may hold on to one or two but it is inevitable that we shall lose some to Newcastle.

heard it today- Tugay said he is coming in on Thursday to say his good byes and explain himself.

As long as he doesn't offer them all jobs at Newcastle come the January Transfer Windon.. mad.gif

I'm imagining the list at Brockhall:

Caretaker Manager: Tony Parkes

Assistant Caretaker Manager: Tony Parkes

First Team Coach: Tony Parkes

Assistant First Team Coach: Tony Parkes

Strikers' coach: Tony Parkes

Reserves Manager: Tony Parkes

Assistant Reserves Manager: Tony Parkes

Reserves Coach: Tony Parkes

Physio: Tony Parkes

Tea Lady: not Tony Parkes (now there's a surprise)

I don't even want to think about the team sheet........ blink.gif

To judge from his transfer record over the years, Souness usually buys those players he knows and trusts.

Expect him to go for (in no particular order):

Friedel, Ferguson, Tugay, Stead, Neill and one or two rising Academy stars.

We may hold on to one or two but it is inevitable that we shall lose some to Newcastle.

Why would he go for our Academy stars he never really gave 'em much of a look in here.

Another thing, interesting to note that Ciaran Donnelly has not been included for the reserves tonight. Which could possibly mean that Tony Parkes will make the first big decision of his latest reign by promoting Ciaran to first team duties. Good on you, Tony, if this is the case.

Are you sure he is not just injured. It'll be good that Gally gets a clean slate now, I was more than a bit concerned after Souness' "big head" comment and the fact he has not figured much since. Jeez I am actually starting to get all excited again now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.