SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as it aint hoddle, B.Robson, Houllier or Venables i dont really mind.

All i can say is, good luck to GS, someone who always gave his all for BRFC. As someone who doesnt particularly like n'caslte (all this best fans in the world crap), i hope we wrung ever penny outa them in the compensation deal.

Ive enjoyed the time GS had with us, people tend to forget that its 3 great seasons and just 1 bad season that he has had. Just a shame that he didnt get the chance to make it 4 great seasons outa 5 this yr.

Also, just like to say that GS had a good record in the transfer market, contrary to what some muppets on hear have said, 1 of the very best in the league.

Shame about short memories.

The resignation of GS doesn't bother me much when it comes to the manager position. As many have said here, i agree that he may have taken Rovers as far as he could. But the possibility of him comeing back for our best players worry me.

In my opinion, the players we are in danger of loosing are:

Friedel

Neill

Feruson

Tugay

Stead

If these players are poached come January, we are looking at a grim remainder of the season....

I would love to see Mark Hughes take charge at Ewood, but I am not sure he would want it considering his current position.

Well, BBC Wales think its a likely enough possibility that they've arranged an interview with a member of the mb to discuss just just that. (More news later).

What lies ahead for Newcastle in the coming week...

Monday

Newcastle United unveil their new manager Graeme Souness at St. James' Park. Chairman Freddie Shepherd states he's "delighted" to have landed one of the "top, young Geordie managers in the game". Souness, the 51-year old Scot, promises to deliver "unprecedented success" to the long suffering north-east fans. "My record in Italy, Turkey and at Southampton, Liverpool and Blackburn speaks for itself" he claims. Douglas Hall is ushered from the press conference with a glazed expression and quietly whimpering.

Tuesday

Souness attends training in order to meet and greet his new players. Captain Alan Shearer does the introductions and lets Souness know who he'll be picking to play in the next game. Souness readily agrees with Shearer's selection. "Alan is one of the great strikers in the game. Just because he didn't want the managers job it doesn't mean he cannot pick the team. Or select the dvd's we watch on the team coach. Or select the music in the dressing room. Mr Shepherd says so."

Wednesday

At a press conference Souness outlines his vision for Newcastle. "Disicipline is very important at a football club. Players have to look after themselves both on and off the pitch. I find it intolerable that any player in mine and Alan's team would behave in a manner which might bring direpute to the club. That is why I have imposed a 9pm curfew on the players in the 3 days leading up to a game. With all the mid-week fixtures we have that means the players can only go out on a Sunday. After 'Songs of Praise'."

Keiron Dyer, Titus Bramble, Lee Bowyer, Olivier Bernard, Laurent Robert, Craig Bellamy, Jermaine Jenas, Shola Ameobi and Aaron Hughes all submit written transfer requests.

Thursday

In a further bid to instill the "mental toughness" and "discipline" he requires from his players Souness arranges a physical and mental 'bonding' session in the Cairngorms. The players are told to make their own way to the venue and are instructed to take a book to meditate on, a Swiss Army knife, a torch and sufficient food and water to last them for 3 days, as no meals will be provided.

Alan Shearer is the first to arrive, on time and with the correct items. Most of the players arrive by lunch time. However Keiron Dyer doesn't join the group until 3pm on the second day. He blames his late arrival on the fact that British Airways only fly to Aberdeen on alternate days and he couldn't find any 'proper' Louis Vuitton luggage in Auchtermuchty. Also he lost his copy of 'The Gruffalo' and had to wait to have another couriered to him.

Friday

During the 'Search and Destroy' mission in the Uckle-Muckle Forest it becomes apparent that some participants are taking their instructions too literally. The local McDonalds has been firebombed by a group including Bowyer, Bramble and Jenas and the Prebyterian chapel converted into a 'Hardcore Rave and lapdancing club' with rooms set aside for 'the Roast'. Several local women are transferred to Glasgow Royal Infirmary to be treated for shock after going to the 'Roast Room' and asking for a 'hot meat sandwich'.

The outraged Souness promises drastic action. "I'll speak to the chairman and Mr Shearer and those responsible will be severely punished. The players will all travel together in future and I'll limit them to £10 a day pocket money".

Keiron Dyer submits another transfer request.

Saturday

In a strange twist of fate Newcastle's first game under their new manager is against his old club Blackburn. Although not directly responsible for first team affairs until the following Monday, Souness lets slip that he has had significant input to the selection process and tactics to be employed. "Alan kindly let me pin up the team sheet in the dressing room and give the second copy to the referee" he says. "I also got to pass the numbers to the fourth official when Alan made the substitutions".

In a bad tempered game Newcastle lose 0-3. After the game Souness is quoted as saying "I never knew Blackburn could play like that. they never did in the last 18 months I was there".

Crowd trouble erupts after the game when irate Newcastle fans try to force Souness onto one of the Blackburn supporters coaches, only to be turned back by hysterically laughing Rovers fans. "'E's your problem now lads" is overheard from one of the Lancastrian suporters.

Sunday

The local press report the fans reactions to the appointment of Souness and their opinions of the change in playing style the previous day;

"Obviously yesterday was a disappoint. to lose 3-0 at home to a team 2 places below us isn't good enough. Souness' experiment in playing Robert at centre-half didn't seem to work, nor did his tactics of playing 7 across midfield and lumping the ball to Shearer all the time. And if Craig Bellamy is a goalkeeper I'll eat my hat" - Geordie Knacker-Dan, Walker.

"If I'm going to pay £500 a season to watch Newcastle I expect us to lose with style, the way we did just after the club was formed and that Kevin fella was the manager. I'm not having that performance yesterday again. Souness out" - Billy Boots, Gosforth

"Whooooop ding Klerrrrrnnnnnnk wibble. What was that man? I'll tell yerz it was a ###### camel in the poss tub with a side order of squirrel flange in Jus-Rol pastry that was. Anyway I'm oot on the toon the neet if I can get me zebra top ower me heed to show me hawaiian short to all the dorty bords in Baja. Fancy a swally?" Paully Paul McPaulster, Hebburn.

Newcastle announce "with regret" that Souness has been "relieved of his duties forthwith". Cilla Black is to "act as stop gap manager" until "Alan decides who he wants next."

I would love to see Mark Hughes take charge at Ewood, but I am not sure he would want it considering his current position.

Well, BBC Wales think its a likely enough possibility that they've arranged an interview with a member of the mb to discuss just just that. (More news later).

Ohhhhh. Today just keeps getting better!

Edited by Kiwiwannabe

Not sure if this has been mentioned but bet365 and william hill have both suspended betting for next rovers manager? Can anybody explain this?

Thats normal when a new market like this first appears. Any significnt move would probably be seen on Betfair and as yet thats pretty quiet. So far £14,300 has been staked on the market with over £5,300 on Mark Hughes who is 9/2 fav. Strachan next best at 6/1 with Newell attracting interest at 7/1.

Some suckers have backed Glenn Roeder at 90/1. Whats all that about then. The other fancy prices include Craig 'cuddly bear' Brown at 65/1, John Gregory (please god no) at 35/1 and P Taylor at 50/1. I presume thats Peter Taylor but you never know, maybe The Power fancies trying his hand at another sport. If Clive Woodward can do it!!!

Edited by Hasta

The resignation of GS doesn't bother me much when it comes to the manager position. As many have said here, i agree that he may have taken Rovers as far as he could. But the possibility of him comeing back for our best players worry me.

In my opinion, the players we are in danger of loosing are:

Friedel

Neill

Feruson

Tugay

Stead

If these players are poached come January, we are looking at a grim remainder of the season....

what rubbish!!

Why would they want Friedel. They have Given

Why would they want Neill when they have just signed Carr

Ferguson maybe

Defo not Tugay

and they will never go for Stead. They have shearer, Bellamy,Ameobi and Klivert

Just read John Williams' statement. Is it just me or does that statement sound almost like Mr Williams is over the moon he's left.

If he was close to being fired I can understand why, we now made money getting rid of him instead of it costing us money.

It does sound very "don't let the door hit you" like don't you think?

Just read John Williams' statement. Is it just me or does that statement sound almost like Mr Williams is over the moon he's left.

If he was close to being fired I can understand why, we now made money getting rid of him instead of it costing us money.

Not quite "don't let the door hit you", but the fact that permission given to talk to Newcastle yesterday afternoon, then compensation settled Monday morning, says it all really.

Rovers didn't put up much of a fight, did they?

Just read John Williams' statement.  Is it just me or does that statement sound almost like Mr Williams is over the moon he's left. 

Not quite "don't let the door hit you", but the fact that permission given to talk to Newcastle yesterday afternoon, then compensation settled Monday morning, says it all really.

No they did not. I do like Williams, that's that over with now let's move on attitude. I am feeling better and better about this as the day goes on. Now it all depends on who we appoint. I imagine Parkesy to be in charge while all the applications come in then if the right man is not there I expect us to make a move for the man we want.

Williams- "We have an excellent squad of players and have a lot to offer the new manager, not least a financially stable club, and we expect considerable interest in the position".

I think Rovers really want to get it right.

Edited by USABlue

what rubbish!!

Why would they want Friedel. They have Given

Why would they want Neill when they have just signed Carr

Ferguson maybe

Defo not Tugay

and they will never go for Stead. They have shearer, Bellamy,Ameobi and Klivert

Freidel - (one of the)Best keepers in the PL. Given is overrated

Neill - Carr not a Souness transfer, Souness rates Neill

Ferguson - A lot more then a maybe, wasn't one of his reasons for going to Rovers to work with Souness

Tugay - I'll give you that one as he is getting on a bit.

Stead - Shearer retiring after this season. Ameobi imho still somewhat unproven., and Kluivert will leave after this season... not a Souness kind of player. That leaves Bellamy and maybe Ameobi.... Another striker is defo a possibility

Also as someone mentioned, Souness spent a lot of time getting MGP..... wonder what will happen there

Just read John Williams' statement.  Is it just me or does that statement sound almost like Mr Williams is over the moon he's left. 

No they did not. I do like Williams, that's that over with now let's move on attitude. I am feeling better and better about this as the day goes on. Now it all depends on who we appoint. I imagine Parkesy to be in charge while all the applications come in then if the right man is not there I expect us to make a move for the man we want. I think Rovers really want to get it right.

It's vital that they do get it right. The wrong appointment will almost certainly take us down.

Listening to JW's interview, he was saying that the applications would be in within a day or so, and from there they could make their move. I would have hoped that if the right man hasn't applied, rovers will go out and target that man.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.