SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would appear that Souness was scouting for Rovers at the Doncaster v Walsall match on Saturday when he was contacted by Newcastle. Presumably any player he was interested in will be now heading for the North East.

I would bet that the Rovers board are privately relieved that the "Souness problem" has been taken off their hands in that his recent record was worthy of the sack yet they could not afford to dismiss him. Thank you Newcastle for doing the job for them.

Of the managers available, Strachan is the only really credible candidate. Hughes is too involved with the Wales 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign and I believe that even the Rovers board, while weak, would not be so daft as to appoint Houllier. Any inexperienced manager plucked from the lower divisions would mean instant relegation IMO.

I've had a few good days in my long existence but the departure of Souness has brought a beam to my wrinkled old face. Any future without Souness in charge of the club is a better future as far as I'm concerned.

I found this poem on t'internet that sums up my feelings perfectly today.

If a happiness poem could bring forth a smile,

Then my face would always dress in style.

If my ears could hear my computer screen,

From one to another, they, too, would grin.

My keyboard types for my eyes not my tongue

This happiness poem will never be sung.

But what of my eyes? Don't they shine?

Yes, but not from this poem of mine.

The pen is mightier than the sword,

But a pen can write only words.

The feelings I sense and the senses I feel

For keyboard and screen remain far too real.

My ears and my nose remain at rest.

My cheeks and hairline are doing their best.

But if this happiness poem could make my mouth smile,

My face would forever dress up in style

Bye bye Souness. Good riddance.

Been thinking about this all day, following my earlier posts I am now posting my conlcusion !

I think that Souness was a fantastic manager for us an we owe a lot to him for getting us back on track. However the fantastic manager bit only applies to his first 3 years. He had 3 great years followed by 1.5 poor ones. That says it all really, I think that a change is the best thing - we've been on the decline in recent times with no sign of an upturn.

It would appear that Souness was scouting for Rovers at the Doncaster v Walsall match on Saturday when he was contacted by Newcastle. Presumably any player he was interested in will be now heading for the North East.

I would bet that the Rovers board are privately relieved that the "Souness problem" has been taken off their hands in that his recent record was worthy of the sack yet they could not afford to dismiss him. Thank you Newcastle for doing the job for them.

Of the managers available, Strachan is the only really credible candidate. Hughes is too involved with the Wales 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign and I believe that even the Rovers board, while weak, would not be so daft as to appoint Houllier. Any inexperienced manager plucked from the lower divisions would mean instant relegation IMO.

I've had a few good days in my long existence but the departure of Souness has brought a beam to my wrinkled old face. Any future without Souness in charge of the club is a better future as far as I'm concerned.

I found this poem on t'internet that sums up my feelings perfectly today.

If a happiness poem could bring forth a smile,

Then my face would always dress in style.

If my ears could hear my computer screen,

From one to another, they, too, would grin.

My keyboard types for my eyes not my tongue

This happiness poem will never be sung.

But what of my eyes? Don't they shine?

Yes, but not from this poem of mine.

The pen is mightier than the sword,

But a pen can write only words.

The feelings I sense and the senses I feel

For keyboard and screen remain far too real.

My ears and my nose remain at rest.

My cheeks and hairline are doing their best.

But if this happiness poem could make my mouth smile,

My face would forever dress up in style

Bye bye Souness. Good riddance.

Souness was 1st approached last wednesday.

Anyway I lost £20 because of you on Allardyce !

I've just put £20 on Strachan but am hoping for one of your 10 o'clock 'Sun'updates tonight to beat the bookies !

Interesting thread on the Toon Fansite. Looks like the geordies are trying to imply there's more to Soueys signing than meets the eye later on!

Seems a bit more to it than just sour grapes. If it were true, it wouldn't surprise me. Those in charge at Newcastle have hardly had a whiter-than-white career have they?

Interesting thread on the Toon Fansite. Looks like the geordies are trying to imply there's more to Soueys signing than meets the eye later on!

Crikey, you're not wrong, Hasta!

The main admin guy feels so strongly about the situation he's considering stopping going to St James and closing down the website! Looks like he's not happy with the alleged involvement of some of the parties mentioned.........

hee hee ive been winding some geordies up on nfluk...

they seem to think our worthy cup win doesnt count lol...so just reminded them about the cobwebs and lord lucan hiding in there trophy cabinet.....and that they are like man city fans ......with big ideas and no pots lol

Wayyy heyyy bob, support them for 50 years and come back and whinge

Look mate, I have been a Rovers fan for 29 years and I make it to all the home games and lots of away games living in Sydney is no excuse not to have a season ticket you lightweight! unsure.gif The fact is if while we are in bad shape without a manager and your most important task is to pick people up on miss types your one sad individual!

Apparently Souness will NOT take charge until after the Newcastle Game according to the Guardian LINK

Is that John Williams stepping in or a mark of respect?

More worryingly, does that leave Saunders in charge for Saturday??

Do you mean Parkes will coach us and Souness will not be involved as Newcastle manager. Either way you can bet the Geordies will have the scoop.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this. My understanding was that Souness has left this morning and no longer has anything to do with Rovers. Additionally he's taken his "coaching" team with him.

Parkes was then installed as temporary manager around midday and is in charge for the Newcastle game.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

I have not seen any official reference to Saunders, Boersma and Murray having left. Can any one confirm?

Must be a bit empty up at Brockhall at the moment.

Incidentally, I suspect we will need to keep a watchful eye on the Academy. Whilst Stead and Ferguson are probably the only likely targets to Souness proclivities to old boys' reunions at his new club, I would not be surprised if he came back to raid the youngsters.

Just read John Williams' statement.  Is it just me or does that statement sound almost like Mr Williams is over the moon he's left.

I'll tell you what USA my first thought on hearing the news was "I bet JW can't believe his luck, is it Christmas?"

Souness has done a great deal for Blackburn Rovers, chances are that without him we would be in The Championship. The last 12 months have been very, very tough and I don't think Graeme had the answers. The time had come for a parting of the ways but Rovers probably felt they couldn't sack him from a financial view.

Two interesting sentences in JW's statement:

"We have an excellent squad of players, and a lot to offer the new manager" Shouldn't that read a new manager? or am I really feeling very pedantic tonight?

"It's time to move on, we know what we are looking for......."

Good. Sharp man, that John Williams.

One of tomorrow's papers "reveals" that Souness took the Newcastle job because he thought he was only two games away from the sack at Ewood.

It also gives details of an incident involving Souness and Williams at Brockhall before the season started.

Love him or loathe him, you cannot ignore Souness's ability to attract the headlines.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.