BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

Look at the dumplings that took over after Kenny, just hope it doesn't happen again. thumbs-up.gif

It will happen again, and the same detractors will look back and say... "you know, that Souness bloke wasn't so bad after all".

I am extremely disappointed that he has moved on. I genuinely would have been less disappointed had it happened in the pre-season. I am very much of the opinion that the club decide on a manager in the pre-season, and let them do their job for the entirety of that season.

In the same vein, I believe a manager should honour the appointment. In that respect, I do believe that Souness has wrong the club, and shown a weakness of character.

However, I still have a lot of respect for the man, and his achievements at Rovers. Thank you very much Mr. Souness for providing some fantastic times at Rovers, and the all to easily forgotten, attractive, expansive and ultimately entertaining style of football for most of your tenure.

I do harbour great doubts about our chances of survival now. Souness is... was the man for that type of fight. One of his greatest assests was the ability to string together some important results, just when desperation stakes were at their highest.

We definitely need an experienced manager for the role now. I honestly would not be too disappointed if some of the much derided figures, such as Graham, or Reid, or... shudder Hoddle, stepped in, to do a stop-gap job for this season... because looking at the alternatives, there are few managers with experience, or affinity with the club to handle the job. Perhaps Mark Hughes, or Mike Newell would be ready by next season, but I don't think they are now.

But it goes without saying, Strachan would be great, but I suspect he meant it when he said he was quitting the game. And we have to be realistic, we aren't really going to tempt premiership managers away at this late stage.

We are definitely in a bind now sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am feeling great optimism just now.

Souness did well for a while but I would argue that he would have been sacked in the next three weeks - what a guy FS is -saved us millions (who'd be a bar code fan! He He!).

Remember he inherited a talented bunch of young home grown players along with the rubbish. Granted he spotted this and got rid of some expensicve underperformers early on but we did have a hairy first few months we all forgot about when promoted.

By arguing with many of the better players and failing to 'man manage' he has left us with an aged and expensive first team squad (wagewise) who are hardly going to set the world alight. In addition the coffers are almost empty and we have no players who are worth what we paid for them. Finally on this point we have hardly any 1st team players who have flair or creativity. LIVERPOOL FANS will have a feeling of Deja Vu here.

I'm optimistic because;

a. We still have an excellent crop of younger players who I think Parksey will give a chance to. He has always done this and his formula has always been to attack with 2 fast wingers who tuck in and a striker who faces the opposition goal.

Enter Pederson, Stead and Gallacher - all have more flair and guile than Dickov (looks okay and might play with Stead). Anyway we have no one else as I don't know Bothroyd but he's apparently pacy.

Midfield; Watch for Cairan Donnolly coming in eventually to take over Tugay's spot as aproper attacking midfielder.

Fergurson/Flitcoft (possibly Todd) back as minder.

A re-organised (and I mean organised!) defence with Short or Ammo as Stopper and Matteo as Sweeper and then McEverley fitting in at right back. Grey will stay as Parkes always likes attacking midfielders

You might even find Enkleman in.

Whatever, Parkes was effectively demoted by Souness last month and he will be releshing picking a team to attack the Toon with a vengance.

2. A new manager will demand funds simply due to the position were in and the lack of liquid assets Souey left us with. I think these will be provided.

Exciting times ahead!

Whoa Happy Days

Did Strachan not say he was leaving Southampton to scour Europe and learn new techniques? I think you will find he did. He was simply having a year off to learn more tactical parts of the game.

I can honestly say at the moment not 1 person springs to mind who is available and makes me think. Oh yeah I can see us winning things under him.

Sick to my stomach. This is just so unexpected. I've never felt so empty, so devestated in my life.

I can't see us being successful this season, simply because we have lost such a great manager and such a great man.

It's the worst possible time to leave us and the unrest the players face and the time it will take for a new manager to settle will cost us our premiership status.

Thankyou Souness, you've shown us the best days of our exsistence.

Give us a break Mr Jones!!!!!!!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Wow you should here the conspiracy theories that are doing the toon army rounds at the moment (talkofthetyne.com)

On a personal note i had started to move one foot into the souness out camp after the poor start to the season. This way we get rid of Souness and we get some compo cash. Plus we have *seriously* disappointed some geordies!

As for the betrayal....who cares. I couldn't see Souness turning the team around to the extent i wanted (top 10 finish). In fact i thought it would be another relegation scrap. I can't see any other half-decent manager doing worse than he was threatening to. But there in lies the genuine danger. There are many available, worse managers than Souness out there, all of whom will be queueing up for the job. We are simply going to have to have faith in our board. They have not been nearly as shocking as other clubs boards (Newcastle spring to mind smile.gif) but this is their real acid test.

Downunderrover, I think we are all keen on Strachan after seeing how he worked wonders with Southampton on a tight budget, they are a similar club to us so at least he has done well at a club with a tight budget and has experience at the top level.

Pleason not Houllier is all I will say.

Downunderrover, I think we are all keen on Strachan after seeing how he worked wonders with Southampton on a tight budget, they are a similar club to us so at least he has done well at a club with a tight budget and has experience at the top level.

Pleason not Houllier is all I will say.

Fair enough. I just thought it was one decent season though. Maybe holding his Coventry days against him maybe. wink.gif

I'll bet you don't see Jim or Jan on here now until Rovers appoint someone - then it can be the wrong person, its all gone wrong, woe is me etc etc etc.

Looking at skybet Peter Taylor at 66/1 wouldn't be too bad a shout although it all went wrong at Leicester. I bet the tickets for Saturday are flying out of the club shop though.

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING!!!

I can truthfully say that the weather looks just that little bit better this morning. This is the best thing that could have happened for Rovers (and me -unless the ******* had moved to Rangers) as Newcastle (aka Pukea**ehole are my second least favourite team in the world- I even prefer Manure).

I got my season ticket as soon as the confirmation appeared on Rovers website (the first time I phoned the ticket office couldn't confirm anything)

At least hopefully we'll have no more of the "he's hit so and so, and fallen out with so and so" reports now. God help Pukea**ehole- Freddie Shepard obviously has NO idea what's going on in the world- note their fans are furious- hehehe

Strachan (unless he takes over as Scotland manager - please PLEASE) is my choice for the position. He IS available, although we might be too far away from the rest of his life for him.

Apart from him, Mark Hughes would be good, Mike Newall is making a BIG name for himself down here.

But actually I don't much mind. I'd add Hoddle to my last list of people I don't want (forgot about his existence) but there are very few I'd turn down. They all have one advantage. They're NOT Graeme Souness.

Bye, bye. Don't let the door hit you on the A**e on the way out.

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning,

Oh what a beautiful day

I've got a Beautiful feeling

Everything's goin' my way!!!!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Jan, If you think we might get Hoddle, save your money becuase you can have my season ticket. I will not be involved in anything that that man is, the guy isn't fit to walk the earth, let alone have a position where he is given the chance to interact with the media (plus I don't rate him much as a manager either smile.gif ).

I've forgiven Shearer for saying he won't go and then going.

I've forgiven Sven for saying he was coming and then not coming.

Hoddle's comments are simply unforgivable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.