BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

I was a strong Souness supporter given the way he turned us around, but have to say that this season's tactics have finally turned me and I think he's taken us as far as he can. However, I'd still rather have Souness than some of the people we could end up getting - there really isn't much available managerial talent out there at the moment. Hope the compensation was enough that we can offer a new manager some money to spend in the transfer window and also stop Ferguson, Stead & Friedel leaving.

Edited by The Producer

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This world must be getting smaller; a text message brought the news to me even though I am currently in China.

After last season I have to say I'm happy Souness has left. Despite an excellent initial three seasons the club was going backward and he seemed to be running out of steam. Thanks for the wonderful memories Souness, particularly of Cardiff but both the team and the manager really needed a new direction.

Just a thought - Anybody know the odds for Souness being sacked at the end of the season to make way for Shearer the Manager?

had the news broken to me by a burnley fan and i was stunned to say the least. on one hand he has been our most successful manager since kenny but his transfers have left us in a weaker position of late. with another season already begining to look like a struggle maybe he needed to move on before his stock fell further. in fact i am surprised that newcastle have gone for him, but you can see it from souey's point of view this is probably his last chance at a bigger club.

wether it is good for us depends on who takes over and how they do of course but in the short term his depature is not good

Same sentiments to most people on here really, Shocked and slightly disapointed.

Thanks Souness, For the most part you did an excellent job for us.

Some interesting candidates for the job, My prefered choice would be either Gordon Strachan or Mark Hughes.

Should be an interesting week or so though.

i agree with you t4e....mcmahon...give me a break!!!!

i would love for sir bobby to step straight into the rovers job. thing is though, whoever comes in has got to be prepared to work with no money. otherwise we are really in the smelly stuff!!

also t4e...i agree that we need a manager who has top level experiance, someone who has been there, done that and got the t-shirt!!

What the t-shirt that says "I managed Tottenham and I f***ed up"

big thankyou to Souness for first three years but he had been here too long, it was time to move on, we have some good players here and need a fresh start.

So think this will be for the best long term only if we get someone good in that is, hopefully a big name, at least 8 letters long.

Edited by chris

This really has come out of nowhere. I have mixed views about Souness going. Firstly I believed that he could still do a job for us, keeping us in the Premiership. However, I also felt that we shouldn't be just looking to stay in the Premiership each season, we need to push on and if this was attitude that Souness was starting each season with, then maybe we needed someone else in charge. We have a good squad of players, and maybe Souness was unable to keep the team fresh and happy, which would translate into performances on the pitch. Whoever the new manager, he has to have top level experience, but not necessarily in the Premiership. It will also mean that players like Todd, Jansen and McEvely may get a chance when the new manager comes in.

Strange feeling really, gutted mad.gif in one way and happy biggrin.gif in another - can't really work out if I'm glad or not. I think I'm dissappointed at the betrayal side of things, didn't think he was the type. On the other hand this may be good for the club, Souness record over the last 12 months has been very very poor, although I think the first 3 years he did a fantastic job in turning the club around. Maybe that was the problem, he turned things around and didn't know where to go from there - as others have said he took us as far as he could.

What is crucial now is that we make the correct appointment. In my opinion this has to be a big name. An untried but promising manager from lower leagues is a recipe for disaster. Whoever we go for the board will have to find some transfer funds for them in the January window, as any high profile manager will insist on having money to spend. If they do not do this then we will end up with an unknown.

Also on another note, did anyone else notice that JW didn't seem to try to hard to talk Souness into staying - maybe his days were numbered anyway !

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!! take Neill and Amoruso with you, if you want to pay another £7.5 you can also have Ferguson!

We get compo for a manager who had lost the plot, best deal ever

BRING BACK DUNNY AND COLE, GET TODDY BACK IN THE STARTING X1 AND LETS GET ENJOYING OUR FOOTBALL AGAIN.

final thought:

Souness vs Bellamy, Dyer etc... hahaha good luck toon you'll need it.

Well I’ve got to say I’m absolutely stunned by this news but don't blame Souness for one minute in taking up the post at Newcastle. On paper the job is one of the best in the country but I think he'll certainly have his work cut out doing anything with the current crop and setup.

The most disappointing aspect for me is the stability Souness has brought to the club. By that I mean we've been operating quite happily as a club for the past 4 1/2 years and now we've been forced to change the man at the top and that could make or break our season and ultimately our future in the premiership.

I would class myself as one of his biggest supporters during his reign at Ewood but must admit that recently even I’ve been puzzled by some of his decisions. I think his no nonsense style was a breath of fresh air for our club though and will be sorely missed.

The focus now should turn to who will replace him? We don't have the finance we once had to attract the big names and this appointment will make our break this club of ours in terms of league status. I have the utmost respect for John Williams and the way he runs our club. Let’s hope that faith is still intact after the new appointment.

Onwards and upwards.

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!! take Neill and Amoruso with you, if you want to pay another £7.5 you can also have Ferguson!

We get compo for a manager who had lost the plot, best deal ever

BRING BACK DUNNY AND COLE, GET TODDY BACK IN THE STARTING X1 AND LETS GET ENJOYING OUR FOOTBALL AGAIN.

final thought:

Souness vs Bellamy, Dyer etc... hahaha good luck toon you'll need it.

dam if he had gone a few months ago we could have kept Cole

Do we have the money to sign a big name manager? We don't have that much money to buy new players. That's usually what all new managers demand.

Maybe we should go for a Championship (former 1 div) manager. Could be fun to have Dennis Wise a manager, but maybe not good enought.

If you have got sky sports news put it on, its hilarious the toon fans are going nuts, words such as "disgruntled" "astonished" "disgrace" are in frequent use!

AND CHRIS THATS THE FIRST THING I THOUGHT!!!!

at least we got rid of the joker before he got yet another chance

maybe janny will be given another!

I'm more stunned that Newcastle wanted him rather than him joining them. His record in the last 18 months hasn't exactly been great.

If you look at last year about 93% of us said that we had a BETTER squad than the year we finished 6th. With that squad Souness managed to get us to 16th. If he had gone when he over performed with a poorer squad (as when we finished 6th ) I would have been gutted, however, the only worry I have now is that we appoint a manger who is right for us.

As for Stead going give us Ameobi and a couple of million and I will be happy.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Tony Parkes and eternal thanks for everything he has done for the club, but I really hope his caretaker role is very short this time. We can't afford for a long-term caretaker as he has done previously.

One thing Tony has proved previously is that he's not afraid to overhaul the starting XI - after Harford he re-introduced Billy McKinlay and Graeme Le Saux to positive effect and, after Hodgson's departure I seem to recall he changed half the team for his first game against Ipswich.

Should make Saturday's team selection interesting. Maybe not too far-fetched to expect, injury permitting, to see Todd and Gallagher back in the team ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.