BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

Wouldn't be a good idea for him to be in charge of either team on Saturday.

And I'm not sure what to think really... Souness had a good first 3½ years here, the best since Kenny. But judging from last season, I think it could be a good thing to get some fresh blood in. But it all depends on who... if we get a good replacement, this was a good thing. If we don't (Venables.... Reid...) then it's the worst possible news.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm another who would like to say thanks to Graeme for the last 3 years where he turned round a side with Grayson, McAteer, Blake, Ward, Dailly etc etc and turned it into the Premiership outfit we are today. A trophy, two trips to Europe, six place - all great achievements.

My choice has to be Strachan, if he doesn't want the job then it has to be someone with experience - Hughes, Newell are too new to the job for me. This next appointment is a massive step for us as a club and we must get it right.

3 points on Saturday and "Souness, Souness whats the score" ringing from the away end! I think its a big shout for Souness as tactically I don't think he is a top 4 Premiership manager and NUFC have a lot of very highly paid "precious" players and I think Souness rules by fear - and I can't see that sitting well with the Dyers, Roberts, Bellamys etc etc.

I think this is a positive step as I as well as others were thinking it was time for a change at Ewood and the falling out with players had to stop. £5m for Amoruso in January would be just fine Graeme tongue.gif

I have to agree with some posts on this board and I agree totally that we need to thank Souness for his time with the club.

Souness was a class manager who I admired, especially when he was going off his head on the sidelines.

I believe he had taken us as far as he could and now, I just hope we can find the right replacement who isn’t going to mess the club up like Kidd did.

Please do not sign Walter Smith!!!!

Once again, thank you Mr Souness. You did good and good luck for Newcastle.

However touch Big Brad and you will be hated! Take Emerton and you will be a legend!

very sad today after hearing Souness has left Rovers, I think he has done an excellent job with our excellent team, and I just hope whoever takes over the reigns can keep us up this season and begin to imprint their own style on the team and hopefully have us pushing for Europe the following season. Anyways good luck to him and hopefully our next manager will push us further forward now to more success.

I'm shocked, but as I said last night when this was first mooted I don't see where the club was going with him - we'd seen the best years and things were in decline.

I'm annoyed that he's left so soon after the closure of the transfer window and after selling Cole. But for those of you wanting to see Dunn back, just what has he achieved since he left the club?

The next managerial appointment is crucial, if we're not going to see Ferguson and Stead in black and white in the second half of the season.

I'm glad he's gone at this early stage,will give the new manager time to access the situation.Thanks for the memories Souness but I had the feeling it was all going rather t1ts up in the end...he's left us with a lot of uncertainty at the present within the club.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Those of you who are disappointed, why not look at it this way:

With Souness in charge, would we have won at Newcastle? seriously?

Then come Portsmouth with a better than 50% of winning at Ewood. Don't believe me? Look at the track record of Rovers' performances against bottom of the table sides the WHOLE time we have been back in the Prem.

What odds on Souness getting fired after losing those two games?

At least we have got compensation from Newcastle (likely to be about £1m for one year of Souey's contract), don't have to pay £1m to get rid of him and we can look for a new manager whilst second bottom ONLY four games into the new season as opposed to six games and a full blown relegation crisis.

For the first time ever, a Rovers manager has been poached and I feel excited about it! rover.gif

I agree with the point that Barry Ferguson will be gone in January, as will a few other Souness favourites - maybe Friedel, Tugay, Neill, Stead (hope not).

Souness pulled us from the First division and brought us into Europe, and for that I thank him. It was a shock that he left so suddenly - but I suppose the other managers in the running were ruled out quickly and he jumped at presumably a very good offer from Newcastle.

The Geordies aren't happy because he's a Scot who favours physical play - he reminds them of Dalgleish who broke up their favourite side of recent years.

As for us, I hope we get Strachan (although as I hear it up here he's going to Scotland after Vogts gets the boot). Please please God help us, not Houllier or Venables. Realistically manybe Sturrock or Moyes might get the job - there's a few managers out there at the moment.

Certainly stunned this morning though - came right out of the blue

I suppose im quite pleased hes gone, mabye now well see some sensible formations, players like Emerton, stead, pedersen will all be keen to state a claim for first team so may up their performances, also well get a compensation sum which beats paying him off. I am shocked however, with the signings of Pedersen, bothroyd, stead, matteo it seemed he was going to stay and had a plan for the future. I just hope he doesent sign our best players eg Ferguson, friedel, stead etc for the magpies!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.