BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness Goes To Newcastle

Brownie

I posed the following conumdrum in a now locked thread earlier, (sorry I`m only 6 years old-I don`t understand things)

What`s in the Souness exit interview, not that I have seen it of course, or that one actually exists, but I would be extremely interested to see the contents of it.

His views on the fans, the facilities, the running of the club, the chairman and board, the plans for the future of the club, on the players he has left behind, and so on. What do you think he would put in it?

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it’s clear for what ever reason that Gallagher and Souness never saw eye to eye for some reason.

Gally as someone mentioned earlier, had a very good pre-season yet hasn’t been given a full game to show what he can really do, which we saw glimpses of from last season.

Who ever the new manager maybe, I hope Gally gets his chance, with the sale of Yorke and only with Stead, Dickov and Gally in my opinion as the only decent strikers left he’s bound to get his chance, hopefully.

I have no doubt that Newcastle, if they didn't know already, will know all the ins and outs on how to beat Rovers by Saturday.

i would like to see the result of souness using his tactical nouse to think of a way to beat a theoretical rovers team also built using his tactical nouse. that has the makings of pure comedy.

It's pretty clear that the Directors were happy to let Souness go or they would have put up more of a fight to keep him.It's also pretty clear that the LET sports writer thought it was also time for him to go-"The frustration took its toll" was the heading for his article yesterday.Neild was quite complimentary, but argued that a lack of spending power, fall-outs with players and a difficulty of keeping together an increasingly fractious dressing-room was beginning to weigh heavily, suggesting that Souness had taken them as far as he could with the resources currently available.

I also presume Newcastle will have been encouraged by Souness's reputation for toughness but Henry Winter in yesterday's Daily Telegraoh,in yet another thoughtful article, argued that Souness's move could be the making of him provided he gives careful consideration to his man-management approach.

"The feeling remains that unless Souness can foster the kind of spirit that embodied his performances as a player, Newcastle may be doomed for a further period of frustration."

Although there have been some interesting conspiracy theories-and there's nothing more interesting than a conspiracy theory- I can't understand why Newcastle are considering giving Souness a 5 year contract when by that time most managers have gotten stale.

nufc have made the biggest cock up ever akin to rovers appointment of brian kidd biggrin.gif

I just hope we can do the business on Saturday and ram the name of BRFC right down his Scottish throat.

PS

seeing that all of our backroom staff have already joined the exodus where does that leave the current nufc set up for saturday ?

I really bet their pi$$ed and wonder if they will let the team try some sort of weird formation allowing our footballing heroes to get the desired result ! tinykit.gif

Are you sure he is not just injured.  It'll be good that Gally gets a clean slate now, I was more than a bit concerned after Souness' "big head" comment and the fact he has not figured much since.  Jeez I am actually starting to get all excited again now.

Me too USA. Too much of a coincidence that he disappears from view after what I thought at the time were extremely unhelpful comments to be making public.

For crying out loud this is ridiculous.

There was never any fall out with Paul Gallagher, it was people on here putting 2 and 2 together and making well over 6.

And having seen the way Paul Gallagher is capable of behaving at first hand, I would suggest that some kind "paternal" guidance is exactly what is needed.

Tris I was not intending to say there was a fall out, I was concerned that something had happened. Is it coincidence that Gally faded from the picture almost immediately after Souness' public comparison of Gally and Stead. I was one of his strongest supporters you know that, but that is not the way to deal with two young "kids" (In Hindsight)

Tris, do you actually know that there wasn't a fall out?  Or is that just your interpretation of the events?

He doesn't know anything, only what he reads in the papers.

Moving on, Sam Allardyce revealed today that he was approached by Newcastle but chose to stay at Bolton for "moral and loyalty" reasons rather than walk out, unlike the unprincipled slimeball Souness.

By PA Sport staff

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce revealed today that Newcastle approached him before appointing Graeme Souness as their manager.

Although Freddy Shepherd did not officially offer him the role, Allardyce confirmed he was approached about the position - and was confident of landing the job before deciding to stay at the Reebok Stadium.

Allardyce said: “I was hugely flattered. It’s great to be associated with such a massive club but the chairman didn’t want me to go and I didn’t want to walk out, so I made the decision to stay.

“It was talked about and I pondered it but I never really got offered it. But if I’d pushed it hard or walked out, I might have got it."

The Trotters boss joined the club in 1999 and guided them to their highest Premiership finish last season when they secured eighth

position.

Allardyce now wants to build on the progress since his arrival at the club. “What has happened here over the last five

years is what has kept me,” he added.

“Under any other circumstances, I should have gone to Newcastle, but perhaps it was the right club at the wrong time. There’s

too much here to leave. I had a look at it and made the decision.”

The 49-year-old does not know whether he will eventually regret turning down the chance to manage Newcastle, but believes he has every chance of success at Bolton.

“I don’t know whether I’ve made the right decision. Only time will tell but I believe that this football club in general is moving in the right direction. It hasn’t achieved all it can achieve yet and I want to drive it on.

“I have taken this club by the scruff of the neck and dragged it out of the First Division and financial ruin to the heights of the Premiership.

“When you have worked hard for five years to get to this position, it takes a lot of giving up. When you get a 10-year contract and your chairman asks you to see it through, you have a decision to make. It’s not just about ambition but also morals and loyalty."

Looks like the Souness magic is starting to work at Newcastle already.

It is being reported that Souness, supposedly on "gardening leave" until next Monday, has had a "bust-up" with Patrick Kluivert when the temperamental Dutchman failed to a turn up for a reserve game.

You have to larf. Thank goodness we are rid of this buffoon.

Now let me see - Dickov or Kluivert- who would I prefer to have in my team????

And very soon, Newcastle too can look forward to a team full of Lucas Neills, Lorenzo Amoruso (Souness' for only £2m- come on Graeme, you know you want him) and Brett Emertons. Little flair, little talent and no bottle.

They SO don't know how bad this is going to be in Newcastle, although someone I know in the Newcastle area is already sending me emails bemoaning his appointment!!

Edited by Jan

Now let me see - Dickov or Kluivert- who would I prefer to have in my team????

And very soon, Newcastle too can look forward to a team full of Lucas Neills, Lorenzo Amoruso (Souness' for only £2m- come on Graeme, you know you want him) and Brett Emertons. Little flair, little talent and no bottle.

They SO don't know how bad this is going to be in Newcastle, although someone I know in the Newcastle area is already sending me emails bemoaning his appointment!!

Neill, Amoruso and Emerton !?

What the hell is wrong with those three ?

Neill as good a right back in the league, Amoruso admittedly shaky at times but wholehearted 100%er and always a goal threat, Emerton, obviously a quality player going through a lull but produced an excellent display in his last game against Utd.

All for less than £4 million !

Why didn't you concentrate on his bad buys like Stead, Gray, Friedel, Ferguson, Dickov, Tugay....oh wait a minute maybe not.

Jan- come on admit it, Souness made us respectable again. Put the pride back into our club. He did it his way and I thank him.

Why dont you take your Celtic glasses off once in while. Just because Celtic have been knocked back by every player they have gone for this summer no need to dig Souey.

Oh and by the way, its easy to slate Emerton but I am sure most of us were over the moon about signing him before he came. Football is like that, he may still come good.

At least rover6 and Jim have a bit of logic behind their points, you have pure hate for Souness the man. Pity you dont really know much about him to make a proper comment.

Edited by John

And on the other hand Brownie (making three  huh.gif ) you could say "Who actually gives a flying one about Newcastle and their manager?"

Kluivert doesn't by the looks of it ! laugh.gif

Aye! Fair enough! Fair play to Jim though, he stirs things up on here no problem. He should be a tabloid journalist or something. I'm sure I read today that Souness is actually out of the country on a short holiday ready to return next week to his new job. Like I'm bothered.

I suspect Dickov may score more goals because he'll play more often. If, however, you put them both in the same position and gave each 10 identical goal-scoring opportunities, who do you think would come out better??

Anyway I like Kluivert. I won a decent sum of money on Euro 2000 because of him- and England going out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.