SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just heared alex ferguson has been spotted eating chips and gravy with JW !!!!!!!

How can anyone eat chips and gravy - it's so grim.

It's like pie and peas - never has anything caused me to trumpet voluntary so often.

Grim ohmy.gif You must not have very nice chippy teas!! Strachan for the Rovers please tinykit.gif

Skybet currently:

M Hughes 2/1

Advocaat 6/1

Newell 7/1

Houllier 10/1

and a bunch sitting on 12/1, including Mssrs Curbishley, Houllier, Hoddle, Parkes and Venables.

I don't remember Newell being there before? And yeah, odds for Hughes plummeting (well, as much as you can plummet from such a low height that they were before!)

Do you seriously think a manger like Jewel, Sturrock or Hoddle could get players like Ferguson and Cole to join Blackburn Rovers?! I dont!

I agree 100% with that.

What kind of point is that? Are you saying the manager has to be bigger than the club?

Players, generally, don't go to clubs simply due to the attraction of the manager. It's the club, playing in the Premiership and whether the club in question appears to be ambitious that persuades them to sign.

Cole and Ferguson would have joined Blackburn regardless of the manager imo. I don't think Souness was that big a draw. In fact, by the end, I wouldn't be surprised if some players were turning us down because of Souness' uncompromising reputation.

Clubs have tried high-profile before - Gullit for example. Perhaps, there were players craving to join Gullit because of his profile, shame he couldn't manage the football club.

I'll not offer anyone new, my post on that was yesterday. The betting angle, seems to be a bit wayward; I don't really trust the short odds on some, especially Hughes. I'd like him but he won't abandon Wales.

My main area of interest comes with the fact that Souness has taken his cronies with him. I don't know much about any of them, but this board seemed to hate them. What can be done now by the manager who comes in is build from the bottom up. We have a tremendous youth set up with fantastic facilities and we need a manager to nurture our best asset. JW is right, we a re a stable club with a good financial set up, the board shouldn't go and balls it up now by appointing the latest fly by night. Houllier springs to mind with this one. I would like to see Moyes and Irvine come. Irvine was around when Brockhall opened, he and Moyes both like to build a solid foundation.

I'll repeat what I've said earlier, we need a motivator and a good coach working with him to get the best out of a telented bunch of players. Parksey will spring a few surprises this weekend.

Guest Kamy100

Here are my candidates:

Dream candidate: Otmer Hitzfelt (No chance of getting him)

Ideal Realistic Candidate: Mark Hughes

Second Choice: Gordon Strachan

Do not touch with a barge poll Candidates: Houllier, Hoddle, Jewell and Advocatt.

Do you seriously think a manger like Jewel, Sturrock or Hoddle could get players like Ferguson and Cole to join Blackburn Rovers?! I dont!

I agree 100% with that.

What kind of point is that? Are you saying the manager has to be bigger than the club?

Players, generally, don't go to clubs simply due to the attraction of the manager. It's the club, playing in the Premiership and whether the club in question appears to be ambitious that persuades them to sign.

Cole and Ferguson would have joined Blackburn regardless of the manager imo. I don't think Souness was that big a draw. In fact, by the end, I wouldn't be surprised if some players were turning us down because of Souness' uncompromising reputation.

Clubs have tried high-profile before - Gullit for example. Perhaps, there were players craving to join Gullit because of his profile, shame he couldn't manage the football club.

Have to disagree with you there, Rover6, I think there's been quite a few players who have been persuaded to sign for Rovers thanks to Souey's standing in the game as a player.

I'm pretty sure both Dickov and Matteo have said as much soon after they signed their respective deals; don't forget there were allegedly 9 clubs in for Dickov at the time of his transfer speculation, so Souness must have played a part in there somewhere.

I'm pretty sure having Souness as our manager was a serious consideration for Ferguson, when we were trying to sign him from Rangers. I really don't know if Barry would have been prepared to make a move to the premiership without knowing that his new manager would be someone who had played a pivotal role in getting his career started and would be giving him plenty of support. Friedel would also be another example of this I would imagine.

Souness has a reputation of signing players/staff from former clubs, so it was no surprise to see him back in for the coaching staff today. The comfort/knowledge of having played/worked for him before will have been a factor for some of the players/staff he has signed for us.

I'm not saying that players automatically sign for us, simply because Souness had a great career as a player, but surely he has a well-known reputation that would get us noticed in a transfer scramble. Maybe the lure of premiership alone is enough to convince the likes of Stead and MGP to sign for us, but I honestly think that in situations like the signing of Matteo and Dickov, Souness' presence does has an influence and gave us an edge over others.

I think that Hughesy and Krislu are trying to say that at least a manager with a decent reputation in the game (even if it is for his playing career and not managing skills in Souness' case), would give us that little extra in transfer dealings. I honestly think that if a player was offered the chance to speak to, say Mark Hughes and Steve Wigley in transfer negotiations, Hughes' name would stand out quickest and would maybe seen as the more favourable option, thanks to his reputation as a successful player. It's not the most important factor by any means, I know, but it must play a part (IMO anyway) and help get a foot in the door.

Would a Jewell or Sturrock have the same inital impact/influence on a player that a Souness or Keegan would? I don't think they would, personally.....

Edited by percy

With regards to the betfair situation, when looking at the market click on the name of the manager to get a graph on how much money has been traded on each manager and at what price. Now I've not looked since this morning (banned at work  mad.gif  ) but compare the amount of money on Dick Advocat to the amount of money on Mark Hughes and Strachan. If people with inside knowledge of Advocats' appointment did know anything then they are hardly getting stuck in are they.

If the next Newcastle manager market is still available to view look at the graph for Souness. Ignore the looky sod who had £3 on at 1000/1 for a moment. When his price started to crash multiple bets of well over a grand were placed. By early yesterday morning bets of around £20,000 were piling on Souness albeit at small odds.

One report in a Newspaper or on a trustworthy site could bring people to put there fivers and tenners on any one manager. Apart from the top few  there is not an awful lot of money around trying to lay the so called outsiders. This means that if 60 people put a tenner on on the basis of one Newspaper report then £600 has been chucked on and the price could drop quite rapidly giving the 66/1 into 25/1 syndrome. It very rarely means anything until significant bets are being layed.

Advocaat now 8-1.

You can only take what's avaliable, you can't crash in on Advocaat.

Someone is taking every price that becomes available.

Have to say when I made the post at dinner I'd not seen the betfair market since this morning. having looked at Advocat now I'd say he's defo in the frame. Not saying he's gonna get it by any stretch of the imagination but I bet his CV's on the table.

As an alternate point these 2 days are one of the few times I've read most of the posts as they happen during the day. DO YOU LOT NOT WORK?

Edited by Hasta

Good points there, percy.

I would be dubious about Dickov and Matteo's comments because I think players are always going to say polite things when they join a new club and are trying to get into the boss' good books.

However, managers can develop a reputation. For example, foreign players wouldn't normally have been impressed with Allardyce being the manager, but he has proved that he has faith in foreign players and has got the best out of some, so his reputation has rocketed from the dregs when he got sacked by Blackpool.

So if Jewell/Sturrock/Newell - whoever low profile came in, they might not be a big player magnet at first, but if they do well and prove themselves, players will respect that and eventually they will add to the draw of joining Blackburn.

Edited by rover6

In the clubs history, how many ex-players (other than dear old Tony) have become the manager and how successful have they been?

I'm not too sure that an ex-player would be the best choice. The ones banded about at the moment are too inexperienced and some players would view them as an ex-player rather than THE BOSS.

With regards to the betfair situation, when looking at the market click on the name of the manager to get a graph on how much money has been traded on each manager and at what price. Now I've not looked since this morning (banned at work  mad.gif  ) but compare the amount of money on Dick Advocat to the amount of money on Mark Hughes and Strachan. If people with inside knowledge of Advocats' appointment did know anything then they are hardly getting stuck in are they.

If the next Newcastle manager market is still available to view look at the graph for Souness. Ignore the looky sod who had £3 on at 1000/1 for a moment. When his price started to crash multiple bets of well over a grand were placed. By early yesterday morning bets of around £20,000 were piling on Souness albeit at small odds.

One report in a Newspaper or on a trustworthy site could bring people to put there fivers and tenners on any one manager. Apart from the top few  there is not an awful lot of money around trying to lay the so called outsiders. This means that if 60 people put a tenner on on the basis of one Newspaper report then £600 has been chucked on and the price could drop quite rapidly giving the 66/1 into 25/1 syndrome. It very rarely means anything until significant bets are being layed.

Advocaat now 8-1.

You can only take what's avaliable, you can't crash in on Advocaat.

Someone is taking every price that becomes available.

Have to say when I made the post at dinner I'd not seen the betfair market since this morning. having looked at Advocat now I'd say he's defo in the frame. Not saying he's gonna get it by any stretch of the imagination but I bet his CV's on the table.

As an alternate point these 2 days are one of the few times I've read most of the posts as they happen during the day. DO YOU LOT NOT WORK?

Advocaat now favourite on Betfair !!

Need a manager who makes players want to come and play for him.

Whether you like it or not players such as Fergsuon, Tugay, Dickov (9 clubs in for him!) and a few others would not of come unless GS was the manager.

Gone are the days when Blackburn can attract a player because of wages, training ground and facilities. We need all the extra help we can get and that means having a manager people will respect a lot. He might of fallen out with a lot of them but I am sure the Souness factor and his ambitions for the club helped to get Cole etc.

Edited by John

Souness factor and his ambitions for the club helped to get Cole etc.

But Souness only ever spoke about avoiding relegation - is this the ambition you're taling about. Cole, imo, didn't join because Souness was manager but because we were an upwardly mobile club with good young players, Duff and Jansen, who looked like we were going places. (And we could offer a large pay packet and 8 million pounds to Man U).

I doubt that Hasselbaink and Viduka joined Boro because of Steve McClaren. Nope, it was the dosh and the perception that the club is improving and ambitious. That's what counts - usually.