BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

So if Jewell/Sturrock/Newell - whoever low profile came in, they might not be a big player magnet at first, but if they do well and prove themselves, players will respect that and eventually they will add to the draw of joining Blackburn.

Fair enough, but I don't think we have the time to give a manager to come in, get settled and establish himself as a premiership manager and then build on his reputation; especially considering our position.

We're at an important part of the club's future, we could easily go either way from this point, so I'd be less willing to gamble on picking a manager who isn't fully experienced enough for the job. We've got the potential to do well and I think we'd struggle to get to this stage again given our financial standing, smaller gates and the increase of spending throughout the premiership, even by the 'smaller' clubs, if we were to get things wrong with this next appointment.

We have an almost full strength squad, which has good cover in the shape of at least 2 decent players vying for each position and the bonus of having a handful of decent players in the reserves who may be able to make the step up into 1st team, premiership football (not to mention the superb foundations we have at the academy). We need to be getting the best out of these players ASAP, not in a year or so's time. If we're going to improve the quality of the squad with future signings and try and convince the better players to stay with us, we need to show them that we're capable of competing right away and show that last season was a one-off and isn't likely to be the norm from now on.

This is why a Strachan would be a better bet for me, rather than say a Jewell or Sturrock. They may be decent managers who could do a good job for us, but can we afford to take that gamble, knowing that if it doesn't work we risk not being able to get as talented a sqaud back together again? A proven premiership-experienced manager should be able to get the best out of the likes of Emerton and Neill and build on the potential of the likes of Stead, MGP and Gally. Someone with proven experience and a decent reputation will give us a cutting edge in current/potential player negotiations, that perhaps a lesser-experienced manager would take time to develop.

Although I agree that people need to be given a chance at some point and risks do need to be taken, I strongly doubt whether we'd be able to remain an attractive club to potential future transfer prospects like Emerton and Ferguson if we were to spend the the rest of this season floundering around the bottom of the league (or God forbid get relegated). I think the current potential at Ewood is massive, IF someone can get it right. We have players who are more than capable of holding their own at this level - we need to reach that potential sooner rather than later...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to say who I want for manager - whoever I think of, I can think of a reason why I don't want him. I don't envy JW and the board, it's such a vitally important task and so easy to get wrong.

One thing I'm really looking forward to, is a new man coming in and saying such blissful things as;

"We aim to finish higher than last season, and the season after that we'll be aiming to improve again. In fact we'll be looking to improve every season."

and:

"We would love to win the FA cup, I'll be fielding a full strength side and we'll give it everything we've got."

and:

"Getting this club into Europe and pitting our best side against the best in Europe is the ultimate ambition."

Oh JOY

Ok, I've had time to think on this .

Firstly, I reckon Souey did the honourable thing. Instead of us sacking him (which was definately an option) and having to pay him compensation, he buggers off up the A1, takes Saunders, Doctor Death and Murray with him. We get compensation from The Barcodes instead of having to shell it out to a sacked manager and Souness saves face in the process. Priceless. The inevitable war at Toon will mean Souness will quickly be turned on by the fans, Bellamy, Hair Dryer and Shearer will not appreciate Souey's managerial style and I predict they'll be in the managerial market again next summer (Souey will continue north and park his backside firmly on Ibrox's centre spot).

Now, replacements.

Mark Hughes is the favourite with the bookies. Will he leave the Welsh job until the end of the WC qualifying ? I doubt it. Will JW et al allow him to do both jobs simultaneously ? Who knows. Is he experienced enough ? No, in my opinion.

Suprise contender today is Dick Advocaat (isn't that a type of Christmas 'alcoholic' drink given to kids to make them feel they're having a proper drink ?). Might introduce Hash Pies in the concourse pre-games and the half time entertainment could be interesting. You want shum Schmokes ? Definately a possibility. )

Mike Newall. No. Perhaps as a number 2, but not the main job.

Paul Jewell. A possibilty but a big enough name ? JW reckons it will be someone with proven credentials. huh.gif

So, sorry to say that leaves :

Glenda, Eilleen and the Salvation Army. Its possible. Apparently very interested but may need to get a road atlas out as he's not often seen north of the M25.

Terry Venables. Used car anyone ? Do we really want Arfur Daly in charge ? Could attract big name players with the right 'wedge' behind him.

Gerrard Houllier. Don't laugh, we could do worse. Ok, the guy had a cr*p time at Liverpool at the end and has a heart complaint, but doesn't that all sound familiar ? He won stuff at 'Pool but didn't win the Premiership. Lets face it chaps, neither are we ! He's actually a good coach, is well connected, if not a little volatile and perhaps a bit loony. Favours the long ball game but tactically astute and would sort our defensive problems out (selling Amo would be a start ?)

Gordon Strachan. Hardly set the world on fire at Soton. Got Coventry relegated. Tactically good, but volatile. Its the red hair. Winds me up rotton but may be ok for us.

Peter Taylor. Destroyed Leicester. Blackburn wouldn't be his style (ie : not by the sea and / or smelling of fish)

Bobby Robson. Too old. Nice chap, mad as a bucket of frogs. Irony if he took it though ?

Bryan Robson. Not even remotely.

My gut feeling says Strachan. I wish it wasn't.

I would like (crash helmet on) Houllier. Yes, I've changed my tune big time since yesterday. I just reckon with less pressure to succeed he would do a good job for us. Only draw back is he'd probably bring Pinnochio and Sammy Lee with him. Mark Hughes as his assistant anyone ? he could continue with the Wales job, and learn the club management ropes from Houllier. rover.gif

Accyrover (digs trench, jumps in it).

I'm not going to say who I want for manager - whoever I think of, I can think of a reason why I don't want him. I don't envy JW and the board, it's such a vitally important task and so easy to get wrong.

One thing I'm really looking forward to, is a new man coming in and saying such blissful things as;

"We aim to finish higher than last season, and the season after that we'll be aiming to improve again. In fact we'll be looking to improve every season."

and:

"We would love to win the FA cup, I'll be fielding a full strength side and we'll give it everything we've got."

and:

"Getting this club into Europe and pitting our best side against the best in Europe is the ultimate ambition."

Oh JOY

user posted image

and:

and:

Oh JOY

user posted image

Excellent stuff Yankie.

Gerrard Houllier. Don't laugh, we could do worse. Ok, the guy had a cr*p time at Liverpool at the end and has a heart complaint, but doesn't that all sound familiar ? He won stuff at 'Pool but didn't win the Premiership. Lets face it chaps, neither are we ! He's actually a good coach, is well connected, if not a little volatile and perhaps a bit loony. Favours the long ball game but tactically astute and would sort our defensive problems out (selling Amo would be a start ?)

I would like (crash helmet on) Houllier. Yes, I've changed my tune big time since yesterday. I just reckon with less pressure to succeed he would do a good job for us. Only draw back is he'd probably bring Pinnochio and Sammy Lee with him. Mark Hughes as his assistant anyone ? he could continue with the Wales job, and learn the club management ropes from Houllier. :

Accyrover (digs trench, jumps in it).

Think i would agree with you regarding Houllier i think he is the best we can hope for and i think he would do a good job for us and hopefully set his sights higher than Souey did.

Souness did talk about relegation but most clubs apart from 5 usually say that. Steve Bruce said that at the start of this year for example. It has to be a priority to stay up first and foremost for most clubs. GS told Duff that with him we had a chance to get in the top 5 with him, but he left. Doesnt sound like ambition to me. Or to get Emerton who was highly rated when we got him, I wonder if GS had anything to do with that, I wonder if he sold him the idea that 4th from bottom would be fine for us. I really wonder if GS enjoyed losing at all. Cant you see he is ambitious, and I am pretty sure it rubs off on players he is trying to sign when we are in transfer talks.

Fact is GS was realist, not like Kevin Keegan who sets him up for a fall. It nice to hear things from managers but to actually back them up is slightly different.

Edited by John

It means you do the same whining and moaning about the cups (which he took so lightly we one won - more than Sir Bobby can say) and taking his words about our ambitions out of context (FIRST AND FOREMOST, then worry about positioning - what he really said was that he hoped safety was achieved by Christmas and we could push upwards from there).

It's got to be Strachan.

I can't wait for those after match interviews when he makes if perfectly clear by his replies that he thinks Garth Crooks is an irritant and that all his questions are totally inane.

I think we will see an enormous increase in the standard of referee baiting too.

He will make 'we got stuffed again and had no luck etc etc' actually sound quite amusing - much easier to take than the exasperated 'they've all got in for us' nonsense that Souey has served up.

Wee Gordon may be a hopeless manager but at least we'll go down with a smile.

It just seems that the candidates who we may go for are nothing that special at all. No one seems that appealing at all to be honest.

That is unless someone who we havent discussed has applied or we manage to target someone in a job who seems a lot more desirable.

It is just a long term issue for Robson, surely he cant really go on for more than two years??

However we may need an old pro in as it looks as if we could be rooted to the bottom of the table when a new man comes in.

I've been a big supporter of Souness against most of the hysterical tosh that passes for opinion on the board. On reflection though, and on the provisio that we get in a decent manager, I think it's a good time for Souness to go. Without money to plunder the transfer market he seemed to be losing interest. The signings this close season were strange - teo left sided players, no cover for right back and still no ball winner to replace Flitcroft. We also lost our best striker by a country mile and have been left with a lightweight collection of strikers. In short we have gone backwards.

Our support is falling away dramatically, amd I was shocked to see the empty spaces in the ground against United.

Any new manager is a risk, but on his agenda must be:

1. Sorting out the defence

2. Getting some movement and cohesion in the team

3. Getting an effective partnership, upfront

4. Winning a game

Like PhilipL I have very impressed with JW. He has dismissed questions concering how Souness will do at Newcastle with "I'm only interested in Blackburn Rovers," and he was ambivalent enough to make it sound like 'the Toon' were doing Rvoers a favour.

One last thing. It has been Rvoers' strategy since Don MacKay to bring in a manager with a high profile - bigger than the club if you like. Simply we need such a manager to attract players to a small if wealthy club.

Spit and move on!

Why does it always happen to me ?

I've just had a phone call (quite late it is as well !) saying that a man 'in the know' has let it out that we are trying to get Dalglish and Shearer !!

If not Dalglish and Newell !

Don't shoot the messenger

Why does it always happen to me ?

I've just had a phone call (quite late it is as well !) saying that a man 'in the know' has let it out that we are trying to get Dalglish and Shearer !!

If not Dalglish and Newell !

Don't shoot the messenger

Why do you do it to yourself Brownie?