SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 pages of at least someone writing off every conceiveable candidate. We wouldn't have taken Bob Paisley -"#2's never work out", RFW - "No english experience"., or Wenger - Grampus where? at this rate.

I for one am delighted and proud that such a host of top names are interested in becoming our manager. FOUR ex-international managers FFS (I'm assuming Venables, Hoddle, Advocaat, Houllier)! Three managers of teams higher up the prem than us. And we're sniffy about taking any of them.

I am very confident that we will get a good appointment from all this, and it shows our true standing in the football world. Who was on Burnley's list???

Supposing Moyes is one of the three Premiership managers who have applied for the job, what does he think he can achieve at Rovers that he cannot at a much larger club like Everton?

He can work for a terrific CEO who is part of a stable and non interfering boardroom.

If it is true that Premiership managers have applied, I thing Iain Dowie is almost a cert.

Crystal Palace are going to get relegated even if they appoint a professional miracle-worker. Simon Jordan is looking to get out of Palace, which means in the very near future the funds will be withdrawn, so the future looks fairly bleak.

I'd personally be more than glad if Dowie takes the reins.

I wouldn't.

A successful six-month spell gaining promotion for Palace on the back of a gruelling fitness regime a Premiership manager doth not make.

He's also not the big name that the club needs to attract the better players.

Dowie, Jewell and their ilk are non-starters as far as I'm concerned.

Remind me please jim, who did you want?

37 pages of at least someone writing off every conceiveable candidate. We wouldn't have taken Bob Paisley -"#2's never work out", RFW - "No english experience"., or Wenger - Grampus where? at this rate.

I for one am delighted and proud that such a host of top names are interested in becoming our manager. FOUR ex-international managers FFS (I'm assuming Venables, Hoddle, Advocaat, Houllier)! Three managers of teams higher up the prem than us. And we're sniffy about taking any of them.

I am very confident that we will get a good appointment from all this, and it shows our true standing in the football world. Who was on Burnley's list???

For once, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Tripe.

I would not want any of those four within 100 miles of Ewood. They are all flawed either as people or as managers. They are out of work and want to get back on the Premiership gravy train. The club is irrelevant.

I think 90% of the candidates mentioned have the quality to make this squad succeed.

In fact I think any half decent manager could take this team forward, all that was wrong with Souness is that it was time for a change that is all.

Hughes, O'Neill (Please!!!) are my two favourites

But Hoddle and Strachan wouldnt be bad either

Tripe.

I would not want any of those four within 100 miles of Ewood. They are all flawed either as people or as managers. They are out of work and want to get back on the Premiership gravy train. The club is irrelevant.

I dont know who I would choose

A cantankerous jim or an overrated Venables

Out of all the candidates listed it's only El Tel, Reid and McCarthy I dont want as our manager

Very well put.... for a Canuck biggrin.gif You've made a good point perhaps we are being over zealous, but us lot are the same when it comes to getting players in too. We should consider ourselves fortunate that the quality of candidates has been high.

Tripe.

Maybe they are; the whole football world is venal after all. But I am delighted that they see us as a good vehicle to do so.

If we were the jumped up nobodies who were certain to quickly return to our previous level that some people would have us believe, I don't think they'd be doing it for 6 months of relegation battle and then obscurity. Would they all be besieging Palace if Dowie left?

I for one am delighted and proud that such a host of top names are interested in becoming our manager.

How do you know who's applied?

I don't. But I believe John Williams when he talks about the quality of the list. And I believe that a lot of the names touted in the press are leaked by the individuals themselves.

GS's future lay not in his results as much as in the number of empty seats and lost season ticket sales caused by.....

1. the home performances of HIS team last year.

2. the tantrums and excesses of his two black pearls......sorry puddings.

3. GS continually denying the Blackburn public any pride of competing in Europe! He misjudged that effect really badly. It might be OK for Lpool and Rangers they are there every year but for us European competition is the stuff of dreams and he rammed those dreams down our throats nd shamed the town, te country and the fans.

Bums on seats is what counts and the paying public started to turn away from Souness. When you can't sell out against Manchester United..........?????

Very accurate assessment of what would never be publicly admitted by the club.

Wonder if he will try signing some of the welsh players if he gets it?

Wouldnt mind Earnshaw or Giggs or even Bellamy but please not Robbie Savage! sad.gif

I'd absolutely love Robbie Savage. Cracking little player who gets stuck in, doesn't get sent off, can take set pieces, and winds the opposition up no end.

He's just been sent off for Wales ! biggrin.gif

Accyrover

As usual some posters' continual doom and gloom passes over what is a very interesting and pivotal time for BRFC. The LET now says that around 30 have thrown their hat in the ring, 3 current Premiership managers and even much derided ex-international managers (including 2 ex-England) think that the Rovers job is for them. I have the view that the club must be doing something right to attract this type of interest. I think the names touted with us are far better than ones bandied around for the Newcastle job. Souness took Rovers as far as he could. He did well for us and should be applauded when he returns to Ewood, not just for the job he did do (promotion, cup, Europe) but for the fact that he left without being sacked allowing the club to find what will hopefully be a very successful backroom staff.

Back to the "No, not him!" argument. The board has been burnt in the recent past with appointees who come from two main gripe areas. Brian Kidd was a No. 2, unproven, an excellent coach who could not manage; and it showed. So the board thinks well we'd better not get one of those then. So they go back to the boardroom and look at managers with international qualifications. Roy Hodgson's name then comes up. English, but leanred his trade on the continent, ex-international manager with scores of plaudits for being a great coach. Turns out he was pants. Now what does the board do? People it's over to you.

We do not need a figurehead who has been successful in the past but is currently out of work. Venables, Hoddle, Advocaat, Houllier are in this category; all credible but not for us. The media likes these names because they are well known. They would be no good for our club. We are a town club and so need to create an atmosphere of togetherness and continuity. A solid backroom staff built around a common philosophy will steer the club right. Again my picks are; Dowie, Hughes, Shearer + coach, Moyes + Irvine. All would be good for our club.

I think the names touted with us are far better than ones bandied around for the Newcastle job.

Again my picks are; Dowie, Hughes, Shearer + coach, Moyes + Irvine. All would be good for our club.

Different circumstances: Newcastle approached the managers they wanted, Rovers invited applications for the job.

See my earlier post on Dowie; I don't see the point of us grooming Shearer for the next time the Newcastle job becomes available; Moyes would be OK though I don't see why he would want to leave Everton; Hughes would be preferable but is inexperienced and would need good back-up staff.

See my earlier post on Dowie; I don't see the point of us grooming Shearer for the next time the Newcastle job becomes available; Moyes would be OK though I don't see why he would want to leave Everton; Hughes would be preferable but is inexperienced and would need good back-up staff.

Read your Dowie post. What about his heroics at Oldham? I haven't heard that much about Dowie's training methods. But I do know he is clever and takes what some would view as a US approach to the game; analyzing very specific details to increase the benefit of the total package using statistics and varied experts.

If we groom Shearer for the Newcastle job, then he will have done a good job for us.

We are far more stable than Everton with far less expectation. Read the papers and ask your nearest Toffee.

I agree that Hughes would need to bring in a good backroom staff. That is my hope for whoever comes in; they build the coaching infrastructure to suit all. Murray, Boersma, and Donkey Dean were not my idea of good. Someone did make the comment on here earlier that they were all "yes men". Most football clubs are filled with "yes men", that is how they keep their jobs and as a result of them working in football, how the average man on the street thinks that they are special.

I think the names touted with us are far better than ones bandied around for the Newcastle job.

Again my picks are; Dowie, Hughes, Shearer + coach, Moyes + Irvine. All would be good for our club.

Different circumstances: Newcastle approached the managers they wanted, Rovers invited applications for the job.

who do you want then? and why?

He's also not the big name that the club needs to attract the better players.

Dowie, Jewell and their ilk are non-starters as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, please. You have to get over this idea of needing a 'big name'. Was Moyes/Allardyce/Mourinho (before being appointed manager of Porto) big names when appointed? NOOOO. Are they doing good jobs at their respective clubs YEEEES. Conclusion? You don't need to be high-profile to succeed.

It is a myth that you need a big name to attract players. We don't have much money anyway - we need someone who is going to get the best out of the current bunch. What we should not be worrying about is competing for transfers, the priority is a good coach.

Looking at reputation was the mistake we made when appointing Kidd and Hodgson - who were quite high profile people. Same with England and bringing in Sven on reputation and not facts.

If Fabio Capello or Arsene Wenger was coming to Ewood, then I would agree that such a big name would be good for Rovers.

But when the biggest names being linked with Rovers are Hoddle, Strachan, Walter Smith - what is the point? I doubt a player is going to look at those names and say, 'oh, I have to sign for Blackburn to work with that fantastic Mr ......' They only have high-profiles because they've been around the block.

If we remain in the Premiership, play good football, have a decent manager, offer good wages - we will sign good players. Regardless if our manager is a complete unknown in football or not.

FACT: Every manager is low-profile when they start football management - apart from those who were famous players.

Edited by rover6

Mark Hughes is the big name.

I also agree with Jim that he would need a good back-room staff which I think he would get.

He got Eric Harrison in to help with Wales 4 years ago afterall, Hughes reasoning was that he needed an old head around him at the start. Hughes would have good pulling power and would have a good set-up.