• Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-5-1 was spot on against Newcastle, whats wrong with people?! We won't win more football matches playing 4-4-2, 3-4-3, 4-3-3 or whatever.

Pedersen's brillant lob against slovenia

348559[/snapback]

We might have won one more........but I suppose there can be attacking variations of the 4-5-1 . Hughes' version against Newcastle with Mokeano (sp) present wasn't suitable against the geordies' obvious lack of quality . I'd have liked to have seen Tugay play - maybe even in front of the middle 4 if we had to play a non 4-4-2. Still it's too late now ....

We might have won one more........but I suppose there can be attacking variations of the 4-5-1 . Hughes' version against Newcastle with Mokeano (sp) present wasn't suitable against the geordies' obvious lack of quality . I'd have liked to have seen Tugay play - maybe even in front of the middle 4 if we had to play a non 4-4-2. Still it's too late now ....

348992[/snapback]

I think Tugay plays his best football, and is most effective, when he plays further forward as he did towards the end of the season before last.

I also think Mokoena is the best defensive midfielder we have-I don't know how the Georgian would fare in that role.

Thanks blue blood for articulating those thoughts.

Yes, I'm concerned about the start to this season, yes I saw how Wales stagnated and fear we are seeing a repeat at the Rovers, but deep down I think we are OK and in good hands.

348809[/snapback]

-Emphasis added.

Today Sparky showed us that he is not a one-trick man and is actually capable changing our tactics to successfully exploit opportunities (i.e. in this situation he took advantage of a weakened defence, judging by the names missing: Neville and Heinze).

EDIT: By the way, check out Colin's comments, fresh from Old Trafford (emphasis added):

MGP's goal was fairly good, but if I was a United supporter I'd be furious about the defending. A free kick from near the RHS touchline which he curled in.

Then MGP shut them up for good. I can't describe it too well as it was at the other end. It looked like the United defence went to sleep a bit and the ball fell to MGP on the corner of the goal area and he thrashed it high into the top left hand corner.

Edited by James No. 7

There is a picture of Abramovich on the front of todays Metro paper, and Hughes is in it at the back. He looks just like George Bush!

but if ol' Abramo's in the news, it's because he's now £7bn richer after selling his Oil company blink.gif even more money in the coffers for Chelsea.

roman will have to sell a few more oil companys to take hughsey of us mad.gif

350228[/snapback]

I don't know, he could always give us Duff back and maybe throw in Joe Cole and Gudjohnson just for good measure. biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
An interesting question after our recent performances, when does Mark Hughes' contract expire?

In September 2004 when he joined Rovers, he signed an initial two-year contract with a 12-month rolling extension.

Hughes is now third favourite with bookies to be the next manager at Old Trafford. In recent months his odds have been cut to 10/1 to succeed Ferguson. Hughes has admitted that he wants the United job.

SkyBet odds on next Old Trafford manager:

M O'Neill 2/1

C Queiroz 7/1

M Hughes 10/1

O Hitzfeld 14/1

R Keane 16/1

SG Eriksson 16/1

F Capello 16/1

D Moyes 16/1

S McClaren 20/1

S Bruce 20/1

A Curbishley 33/1

S Allardyce 50/1

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

In September 2004 when he joined Rovers, he signed an initial two-year contract with a 12-month rolling extension.

357648[/snapback]

We should offer him a new contract soon imo, would be a real shame if he left at the end of the season! Building a good squad is hard enough at Blackburn, but its darn impossible if we are going to have a change in management every two-three years..

Edited by krislu

357648[/snapback]

That's a bit worrying. When he joined it seemed right to err on the side of caution lest we end up in a Souness type situation whereby he was virtually unsackable due to being on such a lucrative contract.

Now the deal doesn't seem to offer us muich protection.

Should be a priority of our new streamlined executive board to offer him an improved deal.

Very much the standard style of contract for football managers and senior executives outside football.

Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger are on rolling one year contracts I believe.

357688[/snapback]

Fair comment but the crucial difference there is that the managers of Man Ure Arsenal and latterly Chelski are unlikely to ever want to leave voluntarily.

Very much the standard style of contract for football managers and senior executives outside football.

Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger are on rolling one year contracts I believe.

Out of that trio, only Ferguson is on a rolling one year contract Philip.

Wenger signed a 4-year contract in 2004 taking him to 2008. Mourinho signed a new five-year deal in May taking him to 2010.

Jose's five-year contract is worth a cool £25m. blink.gif

Mourinho's new deal

We should offer him a new contract soon imo, would be a real shame if he left at the end of the season! Building a good squad is hard enough at Blackburn, but its darn impossible if we are going to have a change in management every two-three years..

357654[/snapback]

Offer him a new contract all you want but just like with Duff, he would insist on it including a get out clause should the big boys come a calling.

Thats football nowadays where for some unknown reason contracts only ever work one way. dry.gif

Offer him a new contract all you want but just like with Duff, he would insist on it including a get out clause should the big boys come a calling. 

Thats football nowadays where for some unknown reason contracts only ever work one way. dry.gif

357704[/snapback]

I know, and it stinks! Hopefully ManU will keep their greedy hands away from him

I know, and it stinks! Hopefully ManU will keep their greedy hands away from him

357722[/snapback]

Whilst still one of the better jobs in football the ManU job is nowhere near as attractive as it was 5 years ago.

The Glazer family and their soon to dwindle travelling support from London no doubt still expect to win the title every year. Then look at Saturday's team sheet

Van Der Saar O'Shea Silvestre Ferdinand Bardsley Fletcher Scholes Park Rooney Smith (in midfield) Van Nistlerooy

They've got huge problems. As the departing Roy Keane has apparently so eloquently pointed out on MUTV.

They've got huge problems. As the departing Roy Keane has apparently so eloquently pointed out on MUTV.

357763[/snapback]

One of the best stories of the year so far.

Has anyone seen a full transcript of Keane's "video nasty" or have United confiscated all the tapes ?

Hughes knows United is a poisoned chalice and is too sensible to go there. The decline at Old Trafford is wonderful to behold: all dynasties come to an end and the comforting thought is that it will eventually happen to Chelsea too.

I still expect us to lose Hughes to a "bigger" club however. Probably next season.