589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

Just reading through some of the articles on the official site, and around the place at the moment, and Hughes seems to be saying all the right things as a manager - the things that both players and fans alike want to hear. Am feeling really optimistic about the new season, a fully fit squad with maybe - although not necessarily - one or two more additions actually seems an exciting prospect, unlike the same time last season!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading through some of the articles on the official site, and around the place at the moment, and Hughes seems to be saying all the right things as a manager - the things that both players and fans alike want to hear. Am feeling really optimistic about the new season, a fully fit squad with maybe - although not necessarily - one or two more additions actually seems an exciting prospect, unlike the same time last season!

334208[/snapback]

i so totally agree with you mate, we do need 1 or 2 more signings just to strengthen different positions but if we get a well good start, the confidence will be immense and we could be looking at a top 6 position!!

i so totally agree with you mate, we do need 1 or 2 more signings just to strengthen different positions but if we get a well good start, the confidence will be immense and we could be looking at a top 6 position!!

334222[/snapback]

I urge caution football is a fickle thing, Souness was a bad appointment then Souness was a genius, then Souness is useless.....

I am extremely impressed with Mark Hughes to date and although I will call my time as a Rovers fan under his tenure more of an endurance than a pleasure, I realize now that we had to suffer to stabilize the club.

I hear the positive words coming out of the dressing room and I'm looking forward to next season in the expectation Hughes is a man of his word (the transfers would suggest he is).

As for passing judgment, that’s for history and folklore to decide long after Hughes has gone.

Well looking at what most people have said I must put my point of view across.

At the time Souness left last season Hughes was my first choice as manager for Blackburn Rovers and we could not have got anyone better in at that particular point in time.

As for what he has done during his time so far I think Hughes has done a really good job and has got blackburn to stay in the Premiership for the next up and coming season. And that was his main priority.

As a man manager, Hughes is one of the best. I have never seen a more cool calm manager in press conferences and in general footballing terms. Also he has got a lot of players respect which Souness will never have.

My only problem with Hughes is his tactical Nievity. When he was manager of Wales, Hughes seem to have got into this one tactic role and we became very samey and teams learnt to cope with his tactics and Hughes couldnt come up with an answer to repel it. Now I hope Hughes has learnt from that, but considering last season and the one man up front I hope blackburn will become more attacking and not rely on bully boy tactics. I want to see some FOOTBALL. Blackburn have got the talent now lets use it.

And as most of us have said lets give him time and not judge him on the lack of signings made this summer. This season is the BIG test for Hughes and I will not past any true judgement until Christmas when were either fighting for survival or are in European/mid table madness.

Why do so many people wanna get rid of Gray......I never saw much wrong with the lad and was shocked when he went to Leeds!! Hes certainly a lot better than the waste of spece Grescko and as for Matteo........I' ve seen rocks move faster!!

330909[/snapback]

Gresko was excellent when on loan with us, though through injury he's not really regained that form. However under Hughes I've every confidence that Gresko has his best chance of regaining that form. Besides, if we kicked out all our players who had underperformed in the recent season or so then we'd be minus a fair few players.

As for Matteo, I'm as big a critic as any, and yes he's slow and offers nothing going forward. But he's stuck to his guns, done the simple stuff and that's what defenders need to do. Matteo did well at defending and looked pretty comfortable with some good players late on in the season. As for his lack of attacking skills in a 4-4-2 it will be less of a problem, and besides defenders are meant to first and foremost defend.

In fairness I think we were all mesmerised with Gray's ability to go forward and use his left foot in attack, certainly that was where he caught my attention. Defensively this season he was part of an absymal looking defence, Hughes clearly doesn't rate him and that's good enough for me.

With regards to Hughes I'm amazed at how he's unlocked or maximising the potential of so many players, like making Pedersen Reid and Todd into some of our most important players. All players are looking far more competant under Hughes/ With the situation due to contracts and wages as it is, these skills will be all the more important for Blackburn Rovers. Hughes is not only the right man for the job, he's the right man to undo the damage of the previous regime.

My only problem with Hughes is his tactical Nievity.  When he was manager of Wales, Hughes seem to have got into this one tactic role and we became very samey and teams learnt to cope with his tactics and Hughes couldnt come up with an answer to repel it. 

334284[/snapback]

Bit unfair that. Souey was tactically far worse imo. As for Blackburn and Wales being 'samey', thats only because both squads (BRFC and Wales) were pi55 poor and low in skill and both offered little options other than playing negatively and hitting more skilful teams on the break. With his purchases he's made sure that his current squad will offer far more tactical options next season.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would drag this back up as there is something that is bothering me.

As some of you may remember I was vehemently opposed to Mark Hughes becoming our next manager.

Well I was made to eat my hat as he turned a shambles of a team into a solid unit whose defence was rivalled only by the tops teams, possibly we were even better than the top teams because opponents set up their stalls to NOT attack the likes of Chelsea but all and sundry came at us fancying their chances and we held firm. I became a fan of Hughes though sore on the eyes it was effective.

I am now beggining to re-think, no I am not over reacting to our opening day defeat definately not. It's more like I have noticed something about Hughes in interviews that has bothered me for some time, I thought well he's new and that will go away after a while. I listened to him on several occasions this season and my issue with him is still there.

Now I hope some one can tell me he has always done this or I am reading too much into things but, here goes.

Has anyone else noticed when Mark Hughes talks about us he speaks in, what is it the third person. Example talking about the press, "well I read the papers and they give Blackburn Rovers a hard time" On the fans "The Rovers fans have travelled and will want a result", Our image as bully boys, "Blackburn ROvers players are pro's". This bothers me it's as if he is always talking about another team. Would the words our, us and we not be better suited.

It gives me the impression he's not into it, it's not his team he talks like he is not one of us and that is really starting to annoy me.

I am not trying to justify my original opinion of his hiring it just sounds like he already knows this is just a stop gap measure for him, a springboard for bigger plans. Even Souness referred to our players or my players, our fan and we and us. Why not Sparky, is it a Welsh thing

Edited by USABlue

I wouldn't read too much into it, USA.

If, as you say, MH is using the Rovers as a springboard to greater things, he'll have to be a success at Ewood, otherwise he'll go no further.

Let's review the situation in a few weeks when we can see how all the teams in the prem are performing.

USA - could be a marketing ploy - brain wash the public by repeating our name so it slowly sinks in smile.gif

I have no doubt that he is using Rovers as a spring board to greater things - but as been said previously he will need to make us a relative success to do this.

We have long been a springboard for managers to move onto greater things - but strangely since we have had the backing of Jack - only Souness springs to mind as a manager that has been poached to another club (I am wary of saying moved onto greater things).

We need managers with ambition - unfortunately that ambition will always mean that if a bigger club (i.e. Man U, Chelsea Arsenal etc) come knock they will move on.

One game in and Hughes is already facing a big big challenge. It appears at this moment in time he has put all his transfer eggs into two baskets, the majority in Bellamy and a couple in Kuqi.

One game in, a 3-1 tubbing off a team that finished 6th in the division below us last season, and his panacea is going to miss the next 4~6 weeks. This is your team now Mark, and questions are being asked. A 4-0 dump on Fulham would be a good answer.

ozz you going to the waters edge ?

Nice word in panacea, not heard that since my last French lesson with Olive !!

I think it is just a welsh thing in the way he speaks, after all they are nice people but really they are not that intelligent ohmy.gif (only joking welshy people) blink.gifbiggrin.gif

One game in and Hughes is already facing a big big challenge. It appears at this moment in time he has put all his transfer eggs into two baskets, the majority in Bellamy and a couple in Kuqi.

One game in, a 3-1 tubbing off a team that finished 6th in the division below us last season, and his panacea is going to miss the next 4~6 weeks. This is your team now Mark, and questions are being asked. A 4-0 dump on Fulham would be a good answer.

340284[/snapback]

I don't think that we are a 'Hughes' team, yet. He's still lumbered with a lot of crap from previous regimes and it's still a long way from being as MH wants it, I suspect.

A 4-0 dump on Fulham will be nice nonetheless!

• 4 weeks later...
rover.gif hughes's first year has been rock solid,let's hope this year is a little more adventurous,when bellamy is fit our attack will have a very different dimension,so lets hope if he plays today he is 100% fit. tinykit.gif

347616[/snapback]

What even though it was him that spent £3m on Lily? Kind words indeed waggy. smile.gif

One year in and I'm increasingly concerned about Mark Hughes' tenure at Rovers.

Sure, the honeymoon period kept us in the Prem last season, with a trip to Cardiff to boot (albeit by beating the easiest possible opponents in the cup run).

Sure, he can organise a defence (or he could).

What is worrying me is that I have yet to experience any thrill or excitement watching Rovers under Mark Hughes. Other than the Burnley games - and Ian Duncan Smith could be managing and those fixtures would still be exciting.

Souness was slagged off for surrounding himself with "yes men". So just who - out of Bowen, Eddie N, Hitchcock, Hodges and UTC is going to challenge the man who dished them out their jobs for the boys??

Souness was slagged off because the players "weren't fit". So how the **** did a Souness team reduced to 10 men beat a super fit Mark Hughes team with 3 late goals today??

Souness was blamed when refs got harsh on Rovers because of his touchline antics. Now, under Hughes, Rovers have been tarred with a far nastier brush, but within 2 minutes of kick off today, Neill has gone through an opponent as if determined to get booked. What the hell did Hughes say in the dressing room before they went out - hey lads, make sure we keep up the reputation???

Souness was slagged off for stating the obvious every season - survival in the PL is the primary objective. But he got us into Europe twice.

Mark Hughes brazenly told us all we'd be going for Europe this season but is sending out teams and employing tactics which will get us relegated - even against the dregs of the league like Bolton and Newcastle.

One year in - this is Hughes's Blackburn team, these are his players now. These are his crap tactics which are driving the fans away. These are his results, and he's moulded the entire backroom set up as he wants it.

And to be brutally honest - it's an absolute pile of crap. Welcome back to the relegation zone. The Huddersfield game has taken on a scary significance.

Tris, do you mean if we loose then Highes gets potted?

347809[/snapback]

Not at all - I mean that if we lose there's **** all to look forward to until the draw for the FA Cup 3rd Round.

If we win, then the draw for the next round of the League Cup will be very exciting.

Being very pessimistic, it might become apparent that Hughes is the only one who can keep Bellamy on the straight and narrow. If results don't pick up and Hughes is sacked, Bellamy is one of the few class acts we have, would a caretaker be able to keep him onside?

Quite clearly, scoring goals is a major problem for us, none of our strikers can hit the target (out of 6 games thus far). If we'd scored before Newcastle did, it would've been a very different story.

We don't appear to have teh right grouping of players around Bellamy to bring out the best in him, so why did we buy him?

Bring back Tony Parkes! laugh.gif

Well after the team's efforts in the last six games of last season, and the removal of Stead, NEJ, and the loan of our other young forwards, over the summer I was contemplating relegation form again.

The signing of Bellamy did give me some optimism.

No doubt Hughes did some good work last year rescuing us, and the team did put in some very courageous efforts.

But have we been 'found out' by our opponents?

Rovers under Hughes seem to have a good 'plan A'...but once that doesn't work.. there aren't many alternatives.

It is a shame that when teams go all out attack and score a goal against us they are assured of a result

We have nothing to counter attack with and are finding it increasingly hard to hit the back of the net even when the chances arrive

Why I bother getting so worked up and excited every year is beyond me

One year in and I'm increasingly concerned about Mark Hughes' tenure at Rovers.

Sure, the honeymoon period kept us in the Prem last season, with a trip to Cardiff to boot (albeit by beating the easiest possible opponents in the cup run).

Sure, he can organise a defence (or he could).

What is worrying me is that I have yet to experience any thrill or excitement watching Rovers under Mark Hughes.  Other than the Burnley games - and Ian Duncan Smith could be managing and those fixtures would still be exciting.

Souness was slagged off for surrounding himself with "yes men".  So just who - out of Bowen, Eddie N, Hitchcock, Hodges and UTC is going to challenge the man who dished them out their jobs for the boys??

Souness was slagged off because the players "weren't fit".  So how the **** did a Souness team reduced to 10 men beat a super fit Mark Hughes team with 3 late goals today??

Souness was blamed when refs got harsh on Rovers because of his touchline antics.  Now, under Hughes, Rovers have been tarred with a far nastier brush, but within 2 minutes of kick off today, Neill has gone through an opponent as if determined to get booked.  What the hell did Hughes say in the dressing room before they went out - hey lads, make sure we keep up the reputation???

Souness was slagged off for stating the obvious every season - survival in the PL is the primary objective.  But he got us into Europe twice.

Mark Hughes brazenly told us all we'd be going for Europe this season but is sending out teams and employing tactics which will get us relegated - even against the dregs of the league like Bolton and Newcastle.

One year in - this is Hughes's Blackburn team, these are his players now.  These are his crap tactics which are driving the fans away.  These are his results, and he's moulded the entire backroom set up as he wants it.

And to be brutally honest - it's an absolute pile of crap.  Welcome back to the relegation zone.  The Huddersfield game has taken on a scary significance.

347807[/snapback]

You can't have it both ways Tris, in the past when you have been extremely critical over falling attendances you were dismissive of the fact that Souness sold off all our "entertaining"players saying that you didn't go to watch a particular player or be entertained, you went along to support the team. Why is it different for Hughes?

Hughes hasn't become a poor manager overnight, unlike Souness who seems to have become one over the last two or three seasons for whatever reason.

We do however need to ditch the 4-5-1. It doesn't work unless you've got an exceptional player up front and/or the whole team are comfortable with attacking or defending en masse like the Brazilian side.

Look at the poll results,the vast majority wanted him in, me included...we knew the risks appointing a relative rookey manager could pose.Like Rev states Hughes is doing himself no favours with this 4-5-1- malarky against poor opposition, we all want the fella to succeeed but is hughes becoming his own worst enemy here with this negative style of football?...only time will tell, only he can change that.

As a previous manager would say we'll have to wee with the willy we've got....and that aint much at present sad.gif