• Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. That 2nd article is ridiculous. Hughes deserves nothing but credit for being able to deal with Bellamy and is getting the best out of him. Something most other managers couldnt do.

1st article is very good though.

Alas, it was only the best he could do with the limited resources available to him

7m on Cole, 6m on Grabbi, 7m on Fergie

Granted the Cole signing was worth it and Souness was a fool to let him go. But to spend that money on those other players its no wonder Hughes has limited resources.

I suppose Im wrongly picking at Souness when we should be praising Hughes. Hughes kept us in the Premiership using a by any means necessery format, he has done well to get rid of our label as 'dirty' and 'boring' we are playing good football and reaping the rewards and we still have that edge.

Rovers have started negotiations with Hughes over a new, long-term contract. Bowen and Eddie thingy are also to be offered new contracts.

387928[/snapback]

Love it! Hope they all sign it, but surely Hughes will have a "can move to ManU" clause in his contract..

"can move to ManU" clause in his contract..

387944[/snapback]

Aslong as the words "...for £100million" are added in at the end!

I would hope that hughes or any manager would never ask for such a clause, however some have a talk to higher placed clubs one.

A 4 or 5 year deal would be good.

I do wonder whether John Williams previous statement that he will be happy to see Mark Hughes move to Man Utd were a start to necogiations.

In reality there is no way that we could prevent him going back to Old Trafford - contract or not. By making it clear that we wouldn't stand in his way if the opportunity arose will hopefully make contract necogiations a little easier.

This will be VERY interesting - Hughes recently asked the board to back him in taking the club to the next level. Offering him, and his entire back room staff improved contracts - is the first step. Whether he signs a new contract may depend on whether John Williams is able to give him assurances that the board will back him in the transfer market.

If he signs a new contract - I would see this as a positive statement to the clubs future intentions. I would see any undue delay as a bad sign that the club can't or (posssibly realistically) can't match his ambitions.

Personally I see this as possibly the Trusts last chance to retain the Jack Walker dream for Rovers. With Blatter after a reduction to 16 teams in each countries top league - it seems certain that there will be some form of reduction in numbers in the next few years. If Rovers aren't able to maintain a top half of the table team and management - I can see us easily being one of the teams to lose out. Relegation would, without doubt, see the end of Jacks dream.

My message to the Trust is clear - give Hughes the ability to operate in the transfer market with a reasonable budget of £10 - 15m - give it one last go for Jack's sake.

Smart move by Rovers, or Mr Williams. I am a bit worried MH may not go for it though. If he does that's great, Hughes is rewarded for his efforts and we line up a better comp package for the dreaded time the "big clubs" come knocking.

Smart move by Rovers, or Mr Williams.  I am a bit worried MH may not go for it though.  If he does that's great, Hughes is rewarded for his efforts and we line up a better comp package for the dreaded time the "big clubs" come knocking.

388090[/snapback]

That is all it is about in a nutshell. If the right club comes along Hughes and his team will be off in a flash and make no mistake! They seem very a very determined and agendad managemant team.

On a long contract a moneyed club will of course have to pay dear for his services and such a large compensation demand will put a few less rich clubs off and have them target 'lower hanging fruit' from another club. Big Sam famously is on a 10 year deal at the Reebok which must have put quite a few clubs off approaching him in the past.

Hopefully gordon, if we qualify for the Champions League and he is on top line remuneration the "right clubs" will be veryfew and far between indeed.

If Hughes wants to go anywhere else at any point he will of course do so, what we have to try and ensure is it's some while off yet and make sure we squeeze the approaching club until they squeal when it eventually does.

Much too soon to be getting excited about this until the deal is actually done. But the signs are very encouraging. And I love his quotes about how the club have matched his ambitions so far. - keeping the Board on their toes.

Also very encouraging that he sems to expect being in the market for top quality players in the summer.

No more Matty Holmes's for us this summer hopefully. thumbs-up.gif

That is all it is about in a nutshell.  If the right club comes along Hughes and his team will be off in a flash and make no mistake!  They seem very a very determined and agendad managemant team. 

On a long contract a moneyed club will of course have to pay dear for his services and such a large compensation demand will put a few less rich clubs off and have them target 'lower hanging fruit' from another club.  Big Sam famously is on a 10 year deal at the Reebok which must have put quite a few clubs off approaching him in the past.

388285[/snapback]

Negative, negative, negative. Has it happened?

Worry about it when it does.

You'll go grey thinking about it.

Negative, negative, negative. Has it happened?

388298[/snapback]

Negative? I prefer to be thought of as Realistic, realistic, realistic, Dave. Have you learned nothing from your lifetimes observation of professional football?

Catch 22 innit? If nobody comes in for our manager it means he is useless. That means we will inevitably have to replace him. Merry go round. Either way I expect Hughes and Co to be long gone in 3/4 years time.

Edited by thenodrog

I dont get any paper Phil but the local pub gets about 4 papers a day.

......anyway check the Spuds thread....it appears that Philipl is an avid reader of the Daily Mail too.

Edited by thenodrog

Just a hypothetical question, wouldn't it be great if RFW retired / got fired this season? I'm sure Sparky would want to build on from the foundation he's built here, at least for another season or two - and if Manure could get a decent manager to replace Sir Alex now - it could mean the job would be unavailable for another few years.....?