BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

imagine if (all hypothetical) BIG SAM did come back to rovers.

He would want to build his team around the likes of Gestede.

Does anyone think he'd be able to keep him here, at least for another year?

But there is 0000.00 chance of BFS coming back to Rovers. Why would he? How could he? It's the most bizare suggestion I've ever heard but it's been suggested by several on here. Have I just woken up from a 5 year bad dream or something? I could give you many reasons why it won't happen but not 1 why it might.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allardyce, like most managers, will go where the conditions are right.

If Venkys approached him, said sorry for what happened with Kean, offered him a good salary and massive bonus for promotion and gave him control over the entire football side of the club, then he would no doubt be very interested in the job, as would just about any manager looking for work.

The reality is that it won't happen. Not particularly because of Allardyce or any other managers views on Venkys and the club, but because Venkys would never offer the above.

Besides, Allardyce has said he plans on having a good break from management and given West Ham's nosedive in recent months he probably needs it.

Depends who they bring in as head coach. They are supposedly close former Atletico Madrid coach Quique Flores.

If 5m was not enough in January why would it be okay now, and the Rao's have to sanction the deal or is Shelfy going off his own bat again!!

But there is 0000.00 chance of BFS coming back to Rovers. Why would he? How could he? It's the most bizare suggestion I've ever heard but it's been suggested by several on here. Have I just woken up from a 5 year bad dream or something? I could give you many reasons why it won't happen but not 1 why it might.

It's unbelievable sure but I did say hypothetical! 😀

Allardyce, like most managers, will go where the conditions are right.

If Venkys approached him, said sorry for what happened with Kean, offered him a good salary and massive bonus for promotion and gave him control over the entire football side of the club, then he would no doubt be very interested in the job, as would just about any manager looking for work.

The reality is that it won't happen. Not particularly because of Allardyce or any other managers views on Venkys and the club, but because Venkys would never offer the above.

Besides, Allardyce has said he plans on having a good break from management and given West Ham's nosedive in recent months he probably needs it.

If my dad was my pet goat he would be an elephant.

If 5m was not enough in January why would it be okay now, and the Rao's have to sanction the deal or is Shelfy going off his own bat again!!

Wasn't Palace's bid 3.5 mil but Rovers wanted 5 mil?

I think Shaw's job is to get the best deal from the player we are selling then give it to the owners for their decision.

You're completely obsessed with me!

Yawn. Thought you didn't do personal stuff that doesn't have anything to do with discussion? I've replied to yours and others posts in the last 2 days which I have disagreed with.

My point was, what has your opinion of the manager got to do with a club like us or forest suing the FL due to the embargo being enforced if they change the rules?

I've replied to yours and others posts in the last 2 days which I have disagreed with.

My point was, what has your opinion of the manager got to do with a club like us or forest suing the FL due to the embargo being enforced if they change the rules?

Hardly personal but if you were offended then I apologise.

Besides the fact that FFP is very timely for Bowyer as it buys him more tie and further reduced expectation, the idea of suing for damages means trying to recover losses (unless there are grounds for something more punitive). With a decent manager and us being in the play-offs there would be grounds* to say that an embargo could have been the difference between going up and not. Going up is rewarded by mega-spondoolies, the difference between 8th and 9th, not so much. Does that help to explain my tongue in cheek comment?

*Obviously it would be a very good lawyer who succeeded with a claim based on such a tenuous link, like!

That's a can of worms. The idea that they may have to pay compo to us is great in theory but will only make them dig their heels in further. Two things in their favour - with Bowyer in charge there is no realistic argument that it was the difference between promotion and not (limiting the likely claim), and with our financial experts it's unlikely we'd get ourselves in gear in time to make a successful claim anyway!

Scrapping FFP would be enough for me but we'll see.

How much do you know about Mike Cheston?

How much do you know about Mike Cheston?

How much did we know about Karen Silk ? Not much apart from she had a good rep and she left. Same with Dave Biggar, so please tell us what should we be expected know about Mike Cheston or rather why don't you tell us what you know if you know :)

Plus why would any Championship club want to start paying next seasons wages 2 months early?

Transfers might be finalised before the start of July but a club wouldn't be obligated to pay their wages until the transfer window opens and they officially sign. Until then they'll still be under contract with the selling club. I'm pretty sure of that.

The latest Media contract perhaps and the necessity to avoid relegation at all costs perhaps? I'd suggest it is.

btw I was once many years ago chatting with Richard Dinnis during his spell in charge at NUFC after being coach at the Rovers and I asked him what was the difference between a 2nd / 3rd Div player and a top 1st Div player. He replied 'very little except that whatever skill players in the lower leagues possess as their strong point (e'g' pace, 1st touch, heading, shooting etc) the very top players are brilliant at.

Bearing that in mind...

Gestede is mediocre on the ground but absolutely top drawer in the air. I doubt he's a one size fits all but imo he could easily be utilised in a Prem squad even if it's just for the last 30 minutes when a team is an odd goal down and they start to go more direct.

King has the pace and control needed to open up defences as he did with Stoke and Swansea and disrupt superior opposition plans to squeeze play up to the half way line. Any notably slow defenders would be meat and drink to him.

Both I feel will find their way into the Prem this summer.

Rhodes on the other hand doesn't have enough about him to worry Premier League defences greatly.

The latest Media contract perhaps and the necessity to avoid relegation at all costs perhaps? I'd suggest it is.

btw I was once many years ago chatting with Richard Dinnis during his spell in charge at NUFC after being coach at the Rovers and I asked him what was the difference between a 2nd / 3rd Div player and a top 1st Div player. He replied 'very little except that whatever skill players in the lower leagues possess as their strong point (e'g' pace, 1st touch, heading, shooting etc) the very top players are brilliant at.

Bearing that in mind...

Gestede is mediocre on the ground but absolutely top drawer in the air. I doubt he's a one size fits all but imo he could easily be utilised in a Prem squad even if it's just for the last 30 minutes when a team is an odd goal down and they start to go more direct.

King has the pace and control needed to open up defences as he did with Stoke and Swansea and disrupt superior opposition plans to squeeze play up to the half way line. Any notably slow defenders would be meat and drink to him.

Rhodes on the other hand doesn't have enough about him to worry Premier League defences greatly.

In both cases you mention Gestede's and King's strong points as a justifiable reason for Premiership teams being interested in them - but then ignore that Rhodes is a largely faultless finisher ? I agree he wouldn't worry opposition defences - be largely anonymous for the 90 minutes - but then probably score from his one chance irrespective of the division he is in. Personally I feel that Rhodes lack of pace etc has a detrimental impact on Rovers overall team play - but in a better more balanced team he would score goals and be effective, even just playing a higher line and squeezing the play would help his overall game (the one thing I wish Bowyer would do more often)

Bearing that in mind...

The fact Rhodes is so clinical would be enough to worry Premier League defences. If he even gets a yard, which he would assuming he's in a team of talented players whose manager's tactics are actually geared to create decent chances for him, he would put it away more often than not.

Bearing that in mind...

Ha ha good old Richard Dinnis, my old PE teacher, hope he's still about

In both cases you mention Gestede's and King's strong points as a justifiable reason for Premiership teams being interested in them - but then ignore that Rhodes is a largely faultless finisher ? I agree he wouldn't worry opposition defences - be largely anonymous for the 90 minutes - but then probably score from his one chance irrespective of the division he is in. Personally I feel that Rhodes lack of pace etc has a detrimental impact on Rovers overall team play - but in a better more balanced team he would score goals and be effective, even just playing a higher line and squeezing the play would help his overall game (the one thing I wish Bowyer would do more often)

Biggest problem for JR and his agent is that he does not offer an 'out ball'.

Archived