BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-Season Friendlies

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A decent work out today but defence not tested at all. On the subject of Ollsson no2 he's nowhere near good enough, he has pace but offers nothing even against low level opposition in some of these pre season games, i'd seriously rather have Pedersen on the left instead if we lose Martin O.

I have to admit finally relieved to win after 2 back to back defeats.

1st half thought we were good 2 superb goals from Best & Gomes both look very good.

Disappointed with the 2nd half we seemed to drop deeper and deeper invited pressure and quite frankly were a disgrace.

Apart from Dunny's shot in the 2nd half we did not create enough and as for Scott Dann he needs to be booked on a one way ticket to Soton he looked nervous in possession and should really have done more to prevent their goal.

Between him,Jake & the LB that should have been cleared it is hard to be critical of Morris though playing him at LB is criminal he did try and worked hard but looked very uncomfortable and not happy about playing there.

As for the keeper for their goal he seemed to go down for their goal too late and looking at the timing of their goal we really should have kept a clean sheet there.

One thing I have never been able to work out about the clown why can't we mirror our effort for 90 minutes it was very much like last year 1st half good 2nd half poor and does not bode well for the upcoming season because the championship you need to be on the ball for 90 minutes not 45m.

That tells me one thing the players fitness is so poor and that is down to the manager so from that end need to do much better. Nonetheless a wins a win so am happy with that however a massive improvement is needed to get out of this league.

The standing off and dropping deeper when leading at half time is synonymous with Kean's time in charge, he just doesn't seem to learn. It happened a bit under BS but that was more to do with punting it forward and it coming straight back but standing off and playing too deep is coco's trademark which is suicidal and made some games look very suspicious last season. He certainly doesn't help himself lol

• Moderation Lead

Oh I see, yeah that's hilarious. Sounds like you never had one.

Prime example of why this board's going to sh1t, you try and deviate the conversation away from Kean out, Venky's out (which I want as much as anyone) and people start splitting hairs.

I have to admit finally relieved to win after 2 back to back defeats.

1st half thought we were good 2 superb goals from Best & Gomes both look very good.

Disappointed with the 2nd half we seemed to drop deeper and deeper invited pressure and quite frankly were a disgrace.

Apart from Dunny's shot in the 2nd half we did not create enough and as for Scott Dann he needs to be booked on a one way ticket to Soton he looked nervous in possession and should really have done more to prevent their goal.

Between him,Jake & the LB that should have been cleared it is hard to be critical of Morris though playing him at LB is criminal he did try and worked hard but looked very uncomfortable and not happy about playing there.

As for the keeper for their goal he seemed to go down for their goal too late and looking at the timing of their goal we really should have kept a clean sheet there.

One thing I have never been able to work out about the clown why can't we mirror our effort for 90 minutes it was very much like last year 1st half good 2nd half poor and does not bode well for the upcoming season because the championship you need to be on the ball for 90 minutes not 45m.

That tells me one thing the players fitness is so poor and that is down to the manager so from that end need to do much better. Nonetheless a wins a win so am happy with that however a massive improvement is needed to get out of this league.

With so many substitutions there was bound to be a drop off in performance - especially after Murphy was replaced. Would have to watch their goal again - but when the ball is played behind our right back - can't see how you can blame Dann or Morris (other than perhaps in the lead up to the goal).

Fitness wise - thought they looked ok - difference in second half was lack of a focal point for the attack. Also - I thought we had a new fitness trainer - even Murphy's missues tweeted that it had been his toughtest pre-season for a long time.

• Backroom

Yeah I went, Osawe looked good, scored a great goal. Slew also scored for us. We looked really fit, although to be expected against FC United.

Yes, I was there too. What follows is a version of the report I sent to my less loyal friends [are you reading, tonygreenbank ?!!]

"I've just returned from the very pleasant surroundings of Stalybridge Celtic's ground where I saw what I guess must have been the majority of last season's F.A. Youth Cup runners-up taking on the might of FC United of Manchistoh. I left with a bit less than 10 minutes to go in order to get home at an almost-civilized hour and, while waiting for my bus back to Stalybridge station & its real ale bar, heard the cheer which doubtless meant that FCUM had pulled one back and were only losing 2-1.

I haven't logged on to the Message Board so I don't know how many other Rovers' fans, if any, were there [i didn't hear a single "Kean Out" chant, which was really quite pleasant] but I have to say in the 80+ minutes I watched, I was really quite impressed by the display the team put on. Both goals were really well taken and one of the FCUM fans to whom I was talking after Slew got our second, reckoned it was the first time they'd have faced a £million player!!

Before the game, I feared it was going to be men [FCUM] vs. boys [bRFC] and that the men would their experience to teach the boys some lessons in the dark arts of the game. However, the boys put on a really skilful game and thoroughly deserved the lead they had when I left. FCUM had difficulty coping with the power and pace of the lads the Rovers were playing up front, while the Rovers' defence dealt well with the FCUM attack. [While I was there, anyway.]

The matchday programme was most interesting too - there was a long article on BRSIT, the whole set-up at FCUM seems very impressive; a mixture of how football used to be [turning up on the night, paying your £8 (£5 for us poor pensioners!)] then mingling on the terraces with your mates] and some ideas about how to fund an organization like FCUM or, maybe, just maybe, a post-Venky's BRFC.

Mind you, seeing as how Tuesday's "Grauniad" had an article about how the Glazers have used their "share launch" to prevent a hostile takeover http://www.guardian....nited-takeovers, I shan't be holding my breath.

A very impressive display by the Reserves at Stalybridge. I thought Osawe, who scored a superb goal in the first-half, was outstanding when moved to the right-wing in the second-half as his pace and power proved far too much for FC United. Without having to cater for trialists, this proved to be a much better performance than at Curzon Ashton on Saturday and is likely to be the side that will largely make up the Under-21 team for this season. Defensively we looked sound while going forward we played some very attractive stuff. FC United came back into it in the closing stages with a goal that was an absolute cracker - a 30 yard rocket that Chris Dilo couldn't have seen left alone stopped. It proved an excellent night's entertainment and was another very encouraging peformance by the club's youngsters. I'll get a more detailed report up on the site in due course.

Any of you guys in Holland this weekend? I'll be at both matches, would be nice to see some blue/white halves in Deventer (lovely stadium, nice atmosphere, GAE has good set of fans!) and Nijmegen (the match is played on sunday is played at the NEC Fan-day, so I expect quite a crowd). Reports will follow here.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Parsonblue's match report for the game against FC United of Manchester is now published to the front page here. Pb will be at Halifax tomorrow, so a match report will follow.

Archived