BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

• Backroom

Currently 3-0 up away at Wolves, Tomlinson, Magloire and Nuttall with the goals

Will go 7 points clear with 3 to play although a I think the team in second has 4 left 

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Will go 7 points clear with 3 to play although a I think the team in second has 4 left 

Yes villa next up at ewood win that and they win the league

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

Early days but Magloire could well be the next defender to break through to the first team.

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Early days but Magloire could well be the next defender to break through to the first team.

Didn’t he play a pre season game out of nowhere a couple years back?

Excellent performance from the Under-23's tonight at Molineux.  Wolves didn't have a worthwhile shot in 90 minutes.  Rovers were dominant in midfield with Travis, Tomlinson and Hardcastle in total control whilst Platt, Magloire and Grayson didn't give the attack a sniff at goal.   Considering that the likes of Butterworth, Doyle and Rankin-Costello are all out injured, the quality of young players stepping up from the Under-18's is very encouraging.  The future for this club is certainly looking bright with the amount of talent coming through our own ranks.

19 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Excellent performance from the Under-23's tonight at Molineux.  Wolves didn't have a worthwhile shot in 90 minutes.  Rovers were dominant in midfield with Travis, Tomlinson and Hardcastle in total control whilst Platt, Magloire and Grayson didn't give the attack a sniff at goal.   Considering that the likes of Butterworth, Doyle and Rankin-Costello are all out injured, the quality of young players stepping up from the Under-18's is very encouraging.  The future for this club is certainly looking bright with the amount of talent coming through our own ranks.

On the flip side how many of the Wolves players will never play regular first team football from this post parsons ? I'd say most of them. 

Edited by JAL

58 minutes ago, JAL said:

How did Rovers manage to miss out on Tarkowski whilst we end up with lower quality players like Ryan Nyambe and Joe Nuttall. ?

I know we bloody missed out on messi and ronaldo too

on a serious note I remember us being linked with tarkowski when he was at oldham

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyable match tonight. Excellent team performance with  LewisTravis and Stefan Mols the real stand outs; Mols getting a goal on his first game back after injury - much to the delight of his personal fan club / family. :D

2-0 win and now only a point needed to win the title. Hopefully we can ack Ewood next week (we’ll the JW lower anyway) and see them over the line.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/april/u23s-report-newcastle-h/

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Really enjoyable match tonight. Excellent team performance with  LewisTravis and Stefan Mols the real stand outs; Mols getting a goal on his first game back after injury - much to the delight of his personal fan club / family. :D

2-0 win and now only a point needed to win the title. Hopefully we can ack Ewood next week (we’ll the JW lower anyway) and see them over the line.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/april/u23s-report-newcastle-h/

Free entry for all next Monday as well 

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Surely Travis needs integrating back into the first team fold now. Kid will have learnt his lesson.

That as maybe, but whats the rush to get a practically untested into the side/squad, in the last 6 pressure cooker games of a promotion push, when the team is winning games?

Surely let him finish what hes doing for the u23s, then integrate him over pre season.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Surely Travis needs integrating back into the first team fold now. Kid will have learnt his lesson.

Both he and Nuttall (who scored our second tonight) seem to have been unceremoniously dumped from the first team this season. How Mowbray treats our young lads has been nearly as frustrating as his tinkering with the line up.

He has certainly put Nuttall’s development back, and for what? To keep Samuel happy? Dropping him after his first spell dented his confidence - perhaps Mowbray thinks he doesn’t work hard enough but I’m not sure Samuel’s work rate has been great either and Nuttall had been in fine scoring firm at the time.

Likewise Travis. Yes, he overstepped the mark (once) but Mowbray has weakened our midfield in order to make a point to young Lewis by playing Bennett out of position instead of him - during an injury crisis and with a career rb who he also doesn’t trust. Presumably because of that rash challenge. Hardly a crime. Maybe he is being especially harsh to send a message but I’m not sure what the message is. He just seems to prefer his own men.

Even Tomlinson has been largely overlooked after a cracking debut last season.

It’s a testament to what Johnson and Dunn have built that they will almost certainly win the league by utilising a style of play and an attacking ethos - mixed with a real desire and even aggression - which can withstand Mowbray’s occasional dabble. Almost seems like the U23s are their own team at times rather than a feeder for the first team. Probably wise for as long as Tony “why spend money on the academy” Mowbray is here.

All that said, it’s the first team league table that matters so as long as TM wins his version then fans can be happy. Long term I just hope we can keep hold of Johnson until TM reaches his expiry date. Because I don’t think he is the man to cultivate, or integrate, our young talent into first team regulars.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Both he and Nuttall (who scored our second tonight) seem to have been unceremoniously dumped from the first team this season. How Mowbray treats our young lads has been nearly as frustrating as his tinkering with the line up.

He has certainly put Nuttall’s development back, and for what? To keep Samuel happy? Dropping him after his first spell dented his confidence - perhaps Mowbray thinks he doesn’t work hard enough but I’m not sure Samuel’s work rate has been great either and Nuttall had been in fine scoring firm at the time.

Likewise Travis. Yes, he overstepped the mark (once) but Mowbray has weakened our midfield in order to make a point to young Lewis by playing Bennett out of position instead of him - during an injury crisis and with a career rb who he also doesn’t trust. Presumably because of that rash challenge. Hardly a crime. Maybe he is being especially harsh to send a message but I’m not sure what the message is. He just seems to prefer his own men.

It’s a testament to what Johnson and Dunn have built that they will almost certainly win the league by utilising a style of play and an attacking ethos - mixed with a real desire and even aggression - which can withstand Mowbray’s occasional dabble. Almost seems like the U23s are their own team at times rather than a feeder for the first team. Probably wise for as long as Tony “why spend money on the academy” Mowbray is here.

All that said, it’s the first team league table that matters so as long as TM wins his version then fans can be happy. Long term I just hope we can keep hold of Johnson until TM reaches his expiry date. Because I don’t think he is the man to cultivate, or integrate, our young talent into first team regulars.

Personally think you are being slightly overcritical there. Using phrases like "unceremoniously dumped" is perhaps a bit melodramatic in my opinion.

You mention his unwillingness at times to play youngsters but would they have been able to guarantee the consistency of results that the experienced players have provided? Is it 1 loss in 29(?), and 26 points from the last 10 games. To be fair, a point you have gone onto acknowledge. 

You mention moving Bennett aswell, Bennett has been very good at right back and I feel Evans has justified his selection alongside Smallwood so for me theres little scope to suggest that Travis in either position would have been better.

Regarding the individuals, i felt that Nuttall broke onto the scene, 2 goals in what was primarily a first team and youth team hybrid tournament really, plus 2 goals off the bench which he deserves credit for. Following that though, I felt that both in his starts and his sub appearances, he didnt do anything of note and at times (like Samuel to be fair) looked slightly disinterested. Travis' lack of discipline could have cost us, that said you learn from your mistakes but nows not the time to throw in the kids. Its a time for experience and know how. Both have gained valuable experience this season and are prospects going forward.

I understand the desire to get the youngsters into the team, especially considering their success for the u23s, but on this I side with Mowbray; i feel that our results have truly vindicated his choice of plumping for experience.

Theres no rush either, id like to see Travis and Nuttall perhaps really involved in pre season, ahead of Caddis and Samuel regardless of division really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Now we've reached the business end of the season I think it's simply a case of Mowbray putting his faith in the more experienced players in the squad rather than untried youth.  Of all the recent managers, I can only remember Mowbray and Gary Bowyer, actively taking the time to go and watch virtually every Under-23 game at home and also take in some away games as well.  I think Mowbray has been one of the more supportive managers of the youth set-up at Ewood.  

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Now we've reached the business end of the season I think it's simply a case of Mowbray putting his faith in the more experienced players in the squad rather than untried youth.  Of all the recent managers, I can only remember Mowbray and Gary Bowyer, actively taking the time to go and watch virtually every Under-23 game at home and also take in some away games as well.  I think Mowbray has been one of the more supportive managers of the youth set-up at Ewood.  

He dropped Nuttall ages ago, and Tomlinson even sooner. You and I both know Travis should be cover for Nyambe and not Bennett.

We have other clubs coveting our youngsters and a forward thinking manager would be making use of them.

What happens next season (hopefully) in the Championship? “It’s too big a step up” will be the excuse made on behalf of Mowbray by people who have never seen our young lads play. Yet they are routinely beating other PL teams’ U23s. This is meant to be a ‘premier’ competition - albeit at reserve level. We are the only L1 club to have U23s in it (and winning Div 2) and yet cannot produce any L1 players. That’s down to Mowbray. Johnson is keeping up his part of the deal, Mowbray is turning a blind eye. Made worse by the fact that he regularly watches them!