BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where Will Rovers Finish This Season 16/17

If we're unable to spend any more money due to being '£100 million in debt' then we might as well give up. That debts going nowhere unless we get promoted or they wipe it off. If its going to be indefinitely used as an excuse to not spend anything and keep selling then downwards is the only way we'll go.

I'll bet that we spend less cash than all 23 other clubs this summer, yet every other club is in debt, many with revenues on a similar or lower level to us, yet they manage to find some cash lying around.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're unable to spend any more money due to being '£100 million in debt' then we might as well give up. That debts going nowhere unless we get promoted or they wipe it off. If its going to be indefinitely used as an excuse to not spend anything and keep selling then downwards is the only way we'll go.

I'll bet that we spend less cash than all 23 other clubs this summer, yet every other club is in debt, many with revenues on a similar or lower level to us, yet they manage to find some cash lying around.

It's not an excuse JHR, it's a reality we've found ourselves in from unwise investments! If you think that football or football support is all about instant success, think again. Might as well give up? Is the same to be said for the 50/60 teams in the FL who've never been top division?

Just think, the money we spent on pay offs alone, managers and players... What was the reason for that? Bad decisions and some questionably criminal motives?

We certainly would fair a better chance by throwing money at the situation but without real leadership, what's the point? We are already past the point where assets are worth more than debt, add another 50m in and what's the most likely outcome if we can't make it up?

I don't know, but you obviously think throwing money through a broken club structure will help.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

It's not an excuse JHR, it's a reality we've found ourselves in from unwise investments! If you think that football or football support is all about instant success, think again.

Umm... It's exactly about instant success.

Promotion to Premier League = Bye-bye £100m debt!

Yes, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

Umm... It's exactly about instant success.

Promotion to Premier League = Bye-bye £100m debt!

Yes because "let's stagnate in the lower division for a bit" is exactly what I said....

Only 3 teams out of 24 can go up. Since we've blown a wad already, it might not be the best idea to throw even more away, especially when we have no proper decision maker within this continent...

The team is not better than 2014-2015 when they finished 9th (should probably have finished a lot higher with the squad they had IMO), and i can't see how the team has improved any over last year so I'm going to go with 15th place.

That's the alternative if we don't spend any money to strengthen the squad.

The world is black and white is it!! If we don't do a. We won't get b...

It's not as simple as this. Coyle dragged a Burnley team to the top flight with no investment, no academy, no real quality, no real fan base...

Derby have thrown millions at it, year after year and the they've achieved zip.

I'm under no illusions, it's going to be hard with a wafer thin squad to mount a promotional challenge, but how much would we need to compete with the teams coming down with 60m more revenue over the next few years excluding tickets, sponsors et al?

It's not as simple as this. Coyle dragged a Burnley team to the top flight with no investment, no academy, no real quality, no real fan base...

Derby have thrown millions at it, year after year and the they've achieved zip.

I'm under no illusions, it's going to be hard with a wafer thin squad to mount a promotional challenge, but how much would we need to compete with the teams coming down with 60m more revenue over the next few years excluding tickets, sponsors et al?

Coyle got lucky once lightning hasn't struck again whereever he's been since

At least he's done it. I have read a lot of opinion, and posted some similar in the last 5 years to "can we just please have a manager, one who has done it!"

Despite thinking GB did a good job, we needed a MANAGER and whilst my choice would've been much more ambitious, it's not my money or decision to make.

I'd love to see us get promoted but any manager we get needs time. Top half this season, keep players and/or build on what we have to improve year after and I'd be happy to say OC has done a decent job.

Say black and white more.

I'm not going to fall into this trap of argument to moderation, because sometimes there are only two choices.

We're so deep in the red that cost-cutting on the playing staff won't make a difference and will only hasten our decline. There's a pot of gold waiting at the end of the finish line that would wipe out our debts and then some. Instead of making a concerted effort to get there we're going to just twiddle our thumbs and hope for a miracle. I don't see any strategy going forward from our absentee owners, other than to cut corners and run the club on the cheap until they have a clue what to do next (buggering off, preferably).

Oh without doubt I agree on the lack of direction but that's much of the issue I have with investment.

Would a thoughtful owner, allow their own money to be squandered? No.

The things that will fix this club long term are not simply "buy able".

The structure, the scouting, the sports science, the directors - all obviously fallen in quality since they've arrived. Investing those and finding bargain players is a better way for us IMO. If the owners wrote off the entire debt, wed be back in it signing players to compete with the richer tier two clubs in no time, even with 20,000 season ticket holders, we are still behind in revenue.

I'd be worried if we where still sloshing big contracts and cash around. Whilst investment could be seen as a way to put us up faster, The importance is "right" investment.

You know what I'm like toppers, I'm allergic to opinions that say "if we do this, that'll happen".. There's always the gray bit on the middle!

Oh without doubt I agree on the lack of direction but that's much of the issue I have with investment.

Would a thoughtful owner, allow their own money to be squandered? No.

The things that will fix this club long term are not simply "buy able".

The structure, the scouting, the sports science, the directors - all obviously fallen in quality since they've arrived. Investing those and finding bargain players is a better way for us IMO. If the owners wrote off the entire debt, wed be back in it signing players to compete with the richer tier two clubs in no time, even with 20,000 season ticket holders, we are still behind in revenue.

I'd be worried if we where still sloshing big contracts and cash around. Whilst investment could be seen as a way to put us up faster, The importance is "right" investment.

You know what I'm like toppers, I'm allergic to opinions that say "if we do this, that'll happen".. There's always the gray bit on the middle!

The right investment, may well have been offered and turned down. It is hard to believe that their escape route was put in front of their noses, but they said no. I can't help but wonder, if it is all down to them having something to hide.

The right investment, may well have been offered and turned down. It is hard to believe that their escape route was put in front of their noses, but they said no. I can't help but wonder, if it is all down to them having something to hide.

Moving the club on would be a way for them to get shut and wash hands, but without knowing all the facts it's difficult to say why they said no.. Hence why the conspiracy theories happen!

We only know Seneca's side of the argument and it's better to know both before commenting fully.

The main thing I need to know, to be convinced that major investment in players would be the best solution, is this;

Who's making the decisions and are they motivated by the job?

Many predicted we'd be in admin by now, but it's hard to see how that won't happen if we go through pay offs, expensive flops and 35 year old mega money freebies again.

After all that, Wes Brown gets 3 years at 35k a week... I'll certainly be irate!

Ben Stokes?

I'm going to say we'll finish 6th :brfcsmilie: . Raising our game against all the 'Big Boys' in this league!

Coyle's positivity has certainly rubbed off on you!

Personally, despite having a strong 11 (for now), I can't see us finishing above 14th. A few injuries and our lack of bodies will really show. Hope it doesn't go truly tits up but I have a feeling this reliance on a small squad with little quality in reserve will come back to bite us.

A club in our position can't afford to, lose the quality we've lost over the last year or so. I'm talking about Olsson, Hanley, Cairney, King, Gestede and Rhodes. That's half of a decent side at this level. I can't see us finishing out of the bottom 6 personally because our squad is far too weak and there are too many doubts about our 1st team.

Archived