BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where Will Rovers Finish This Season 16/17

It's a much stronger league this season on account of the spending of other clubs and the teams that came down from the PL. We have dwelled to long and @#/? away our parachute money. Hate to say it but I think we'll finish second or third bottom.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strongest championship since we've been in it. Normally at least one of the relegated clubs are in disarray but Norwich are well run. Newcastle have kept Rafa and spending cash. Villa might implode but new owners should mean a bit of cash spent although I thin de matteo was a bad appointment. Pearson had his pick of clubs and chose Derby and they will do well this year. Top 4 out of reach.

Mid table?? Have we surpassed any of the teams who finished above us last season in the transfer market? No. So top half out of reach.

We flirted with relegation last season. So our season comes down to whether we are better than the 3 promoted clubs and Rotherham (without Warnock they'd have been down).

For me 5th from bottom at best. Normally a promoted club carries some momentum so I'd say 4th from bottom.

Strongest championship since we've been in it. Normally at least one of the relegated clubs are in disarray but Norwich are well run. Newcastle have kept Rafa and spending cash. Villa might implode but new owners should mean a bit of cash spent although I thin de matteo was a bad appointment. Pearson had his pick of clubs and chose Derby and they will do well this year. Top 4 out of reach.

Mid table?? Have we surpassed any of the teams who finished above us last season in the transfer market? No. So top half out of reach.

We flirted with relegation last season. So our season comes down to whether we are better than the 3 promoted clubs and Rotherham (without Warnock they'd have been down).

For me 5th from bottom at best. Normally a promoted club carries some momentum so I'd say 4th from bottom.

Sums up pretty much my own thoughts.

Bang on that Scotty.

Prepare to answer to the Coyle believers who reckon he can replicate his one good season *disregarding every other season) and the Venksters who believe that big investment is just around the corner.

We have a better 1st eleven than the likes of Ipswich, Nobbers and Brum. They all finished above us last season

because they were better managed.

The Championship will be the usual half dozen good teams coupled with some absolute dross. The rest will be a big mass of mediocrity with not much difference between them. There's no reason we can't get in the top 10.

As usual it will mostly depend on how good the manager is. Unfortunately we've got someone who doesn't breed much confidence.

We've certainly got some good players (if we don't sell em)

Some detailed analysis there, glad it didn't have us a place lower!

We have a better 1st eleven than the likes of Ipswich, Nobbers and Brum. They all finished above us last season

because they were better managed.

The Championship will be the usual half dozen good teams coupled with some absolute dross. The rest will be a big mass of mediocrity with not much difference between them. There's no reason we can't get in the top 10.

As usual it will mostly depend on how good the manager is. Unfortunately we've got someone who doesn't breed much confidence.

We've certainly got some good players (if we don't sell em)

I'd argue Brum, Ipswich and Preston fans would say they had better first 11's than us. I'm not saying they are right but over the course of the season their 11's gained more points than we did.

You say there's no reason we can't make the top 10 but then say we have a manager who doesn't breed confidence so I'd say that's a pretty big reason.

Hard to say as it stands without seeing who else we bring in, if the squads stays roughly as it is, I think Graham and Stokes will score enough to keep us just above water I can see us somewhere 17/18/19th, I can see us starting the season well then collapsing once Mr motivator has worn off

I think about halfway, I don't think there is much to choose between our starting 11 for this year and last and I genuinely believe we should have finished about half way last year had it not been for the rudderless ship period where Lambert was moaning to anyone who would listen. I didn't think it at the time as I had a lot of time for Lambert but I think in hindsight his behaviour cost us a few places.

There will be some big spenders in the league this year making up the top 6 I expect but then the rest is as much of a muchness, each has the capability to mess things up as much as the others. I think this year will see a much greater splitting up of the league where you have the recent ex prem clubs occupying the top spots and spedning their way up in a way that even your Hull's and Derby's won't be able to compete with for long.

I think about halfway, I don't think there is much to choose between our starting 11 for this year and last and I genuinely believe we should have finished about half way last year had it not been for the rudderless ship period where Lambert was moaning to anyone who would listen. I didn't think it at the time as I had a lot of time for Lambert but I think in hindsight his behaviour cost us a few places.

There will be some big spenders in the league this year making up the top 6 I expect but then the rest is as much of a muchness, each has the capability to mess things up as much as the others. I think this year will see a much greater splitting up of the league where you have the recent ex prem clubs occupying the top spots and spedning their way up in a way that even your Hull's and Derby's won't be able to compete with for long.

How can you answer the question when the team has'nt been assembled ?

• Moderation Lead

How can you answer the question when the team has'nt been assembled ?

Are you going to ask that to every poster in this thread? Or just the ones you disagree with?....

Good bit of fence sitting from me here - it depends how many of our better players we sell.

Sell one of Marshall, Hanley, Duffy, and bulk out the squad numbers we should just about scrape to around 18th, especially with new manager bounce, new signings eager to impress etc.

Sell two or three of our better players and it will be very interesting. I can't think of too many clubs with worse squads than us, so we won't be able to rely on many teams doing us a favour by being worse than us. Also we are a Graham injury away from looking weak up top as well. So with a few key absentees nailed on relegation.

If pushed I'll say 20th, with a few promising signs amid a shower of apathy and crap football, but with everyone saying Coyle needs time, there were signs he was making the next Barcelona and such like. But I'll be honest it's getting harder to care by the season.

If it were relegation and Venky's leaving, I would settle for that.

The new Owners/Partnership would sack Koyle and the youth team players will have got useful experience this season.

A wave of new enthusiasm and Season-ticket sales would go up from this Season's 7,000. With a good start the new Owners would offer Mid-Season tickets and 5 year Season-tickets; the Away strip would be Red and Black halves; and we would be planning for Premiership 2020.

Are you going to ask that to every poster in this thread? Or just the ones you disagree with?....

Let the poster answer if they wish to k-hod but I'm curious to the logic behind the replies when they don't know what the teams going to look like.

Retain what we have at the moment, with some luck with injuries and suspensions then I would expect maybe a repeat of last season, at best. Some bad luck with injuries and suspensions and then relegation becomes likely given our meagre squad depth, experience and quality in key areas.

Add another 4-5 decent players, and providing those signed already perform well, then top half could become a possibility if Coyle manages to rediscover his performance record from Burnley and initially at Bolton.

Lose Hanley, Marshall and Duffy, as I expect us to, and we will be on the brink of relegation, with only some excellent replacements quickly recruited to save us.

Burton have just spent a club record fee on a lad from MK Dons. How come they can afford to spend whilst we can't?

Retain what we have at the moment, with some luck with injuries and suspensions then I would expect maybe a repeat of last season, at best. Some bad luck with injuries and suspensions and then relegation becomes likely given our meagre squad depth, experience and quality in key areas.

Add another 4-5 decent players, and providing those signed already perform well, then top half could become a possibility if Coyle manages to rediscover his performance record from Burnley and initially at Bolton.

Lose Hanley, Marshall and Duffy, as I expect us to, and we will be on the brink of relegation, with only some excellent replacements quickly recruited to save us.

Burton have just spent a club record fee on a lad from MK Dons. How come they can afford to spend whilst we can't?

I think a bit of context needs providing with the comment re Burton, their previous record fee was about 20k so it wouldn't take a lot of topping. I seem to remember fatty Robinson saying MacFazdean was worth 500k so whilst that is a big jump for them its not mega money. I bet if you combined the fee and the wages of that deal against the lifetime cost of the Graham deal you wouldn't be far apart.

Thats not me defending Coyle, Venky's or anyone, just a bit of context. i'm as dismayed as anyone at the prospect of losing several of our senior players and replacing them with nobodies/inadequate kids.

Archived