BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where Will Rovers Finish This Season 16/17

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such ambition is truly to be thankful for

You are right Abbey. After this season, fourth from bottom is something to be truly thankful for! A belated all the best for the New Year and hope you soon get over your bout of gout. I know friends who have suffered from it and they all agree it's quite a painful ailment.

I think we will be thankful for Rotherham, Wigan and Burton this season as I believe we now have a real chance to finish above those three and avoid relegation. I'll be more than happy with fourth from bottom this season and retain Championship status.

And the what Parson? I completely understand your viewpoint but if the club isn't sold then next season in the Championship it will be even more turgid (and possibly toxic) than this season. Also staying up would mean that Coyle and his staff would almost certainly see out the last year of their contracts and that wouldn't be any good for Blackburn Rovers. In my opinion there needs to be a fresh start and I believe that the only way they will go is another relegation.

There are many imponderables and unknowns with this lot and we can only guess as to what the future holds but whatever you think/believe the real truth is nobody knows, I suspect even that lot.

• Backroom

I think we will be thankful for Rotherham, Wigan and Burton this season as I believe we now have a real chance to finish above those three and avoid relegation. I'll be more than happy with fourth from bottom this season and retain Championship status.

Considering we gave Burton an away point and got trounced 3-0 by Wigan I imagine they will ultimately be more thankful for us than the other way around. I believe we've won just two away matches so far this season so there's no guarantee we'll beat Rotherham on their turf either.

From recollection I think we're third highest for conceding goals, too? Granted the last two matches have been a change in that regard, but considering both Newcastle and Huddersfield had 20+ shots each at our goal and dominated possession it's fair to say that is more down to our opponents misfiring and losing their nerve as opposed to us improving.

From recollection I think we're third highest for conceding goals, too? Granted the last two matches have been a change in that regard, but considering both Newcastle and Huddersfield had 20+ shots each at our goal and dominated possession it's fair to say that is more down to our opponents misfiring and losing their nerve as opposed to us improving.

There's the rub for me which is why I'm far far from convinced that we'll finish above Burton. Some people (not Parson btw) seem to be hailing yesterday as a tactical master stroke by Coyle. As you say, it really wasn't. We should have got thumped the past two games but didn't due to some good goalkeeping and terrible finishing. I wouldn't trust Coyle to get anything from our 6 pointers to come.

I think we will be thankful for Rotherham, Wigan and Burton this season as I believe we now have a real chance to finish above those three and avoid relegation. I'll be more than happy with fourth from bottom this season and retain Championship status.[/quote

I dont often agree, with you Parson but I think you are spot on , with your assumption !

• Backroom

There's the rub for me which is why I'm far far from convinced that we'll finish above Burton. Some people (not Parson btw) seem to be hailing yesterday as a tactical master stroke by Coyle. As you say, it really wasn't. We should have got thumped the past two games but didn't due to some good goalkeeping and terrible finishing. I wouldn't trust Coyle to get anything from our 6 pointers to come.

If the last two games had been a little more even in terms of possession, shots on goal, etc then I could understand some of the more optimistic posts, but we took a battering in both and only had a single shot on target in each game. I appreciate stats can be twisted to suit arguments, but the match stats in the last two games have been so one sided in the opposition's favour that it is absolutely impossible to conclude anything beyond "we were extremely lucky".

One off results happen in football, but by and large poor teams get punished for failing to do the basics across the course of a season. We have been so far, as evidenced by our league position, and will continue to be as long as a useless plank like Owen Coyle is in charge of our threadbare, injury prone mess of a squad.

We may survive this season, it's a small possibility. Such is the shocking overall quality of the league we're in - the writing is on the wall long term, though. I've said before, if it isn't this season it will be next season. Our trajectory under Venky's is set in one direction and as the last remnants of talent depart Ewood this month and in the summer we will be facing a thoroughly miserable 17/18 season if we somehow manage to survive this campaign and Venky's remain at the helm.

If the last two games had been a little more even in terms of possession, shots on goal, etc then I could understand some of the more optimistic posts, but we took a battering in both and only had a single shot on target in each game. I appreciate stats can be twisted to suit arguments, but the match stats in the last two games have been so one sided in the opposition's favour that it is absolutely impossible to conclude anything beyond "we were extremely lucky".

One off results happen in football, but by and large poor teams get punished for failing to do the basics across the course of a season. We have been so far, as evidenced by our league position, and will continue to be as long as a useless plank like Owen Coyle is in charge of our threadbare, injury prone mess of a squad.

We may survive this season, it's a small possibility. Such is the shocking overall quality of the league we're in - the writing is on the wall long term, though. I've said before, if it isn't this season it will be next season. Our trajectory under Venky's is set in one direction and as the last remnants of talent depart Ewood this month and in the summer we will be facing a thoroughly miserable 17/18 season if we somehow manage to survive this campaign and Venky's remain at the helm.

I'd like to think that if Venkys are going to let the club go due to financial reasons then this is going to happen sooner or later whether we're in League One or the Championship.

If the club is losing £10 million+ per year and has no more players to sell to cover this loss and no parachute money to use and the debt has been maxed out then something will have to give sooner or later.

We're going to be losing big money whether we're in the 2nd tier or 3rd tier and have to hope there comes a stage soon where they have to draw the line.

If so, I'd much sooner that happens whilst we're still a Championship club. If survival this season buys us another 9 months or so at this level during which Venkys might run out of cash or leave town then we're much more likely to find an appropriate new owner when we're in the Championship.

If they're going to leave for financial reasons then I reckon its going to happen regardless of which league we're in. League One would add another few million to the annual losses but wages would be less and they could probably shut down the academy more easily and save on that.

I understand completely what you're saying but I think the best chance we have of these crooks leaving is if they run out of dosh, which will happen if we're not in the Premier League and they've no players to sell.

As for a miserable 17/18, if Venkys are still in town I think that's a given, but I'd much sooner be in the 2nd tier playing the likes of Newcastle at Ewood than Northampton.

I think you mean relieved, not happy.

Let's be honest it's not much of an achievement finishing above three very small league 1 standard teams, given our wage budget, facilities, and, yes, the squad we've got. Oh and the fact that anyone can beat anyone. Small budgets (Barnsley) and batnuts owners (Birmingham) show that competing in this league is possible, even with these huge hindrances. .

So let's not kid ourselves 4th from bottom is good. It's just a mighty relief, that despite doing everything wrong and spurning so, so many opportunities to get it right and use our advantages, that we could still get away with it.

• Backroom

I'd like to think that if Venkys are going to let the club go due to financial reasons then this is going to happen sooner or later whether we're in League One or the Championship.

If the club is losing £10 million+ per year and has no more players to sell to cover this loss and no parachute money to use and the debt has been maxed out then something will have to give sooner or later.

We're going to be losing big money whether we're in the 2nd tier or 3rd tier and have to hope there comes a stage soon where they have to draw the line.

If so, I'd much sooner that happens whilst we're still a Championship club. If survival this season buys us another 9 months or so at this level during which Venkys might run out of cash or leave town then we're much more likely to find an appropriate new owner when we're in the Championship.

If they're going to leave for financial reasons then I reckon its going to happen regardless of which league we're in. League One would add another few million to the annual losses but wages would be less and they could probably shut down the academy more easily and save on that.

I understand completely what you're saying but I think the best chance we have of these crooks leaving is if they run out of dosh, which will happen if we're not in the Premier League and they've no players to sell.

As for a miserable 17/18, if Venkys are still in town I think that's a given, but I'd much sooner be in the 2nd tier playing the likes of Newcastle at Ewood than Northampton.

I agree that surviving in this league is important if we assume Venky's are going to leave in the next year or two. As you say, this surely can't go on for much longer. They've stripped almost every shred of meat from the club's bones, and by the summer they will have picked away at whatever is left.

Right now I'm genuinely fearful that we may not have a club to support within a couple of years. Nobody knows what Venky's end game will be. That's why an extremely fortunate 1-0 win against Newcastle doesn't do much for me. Obviously there are a lot of fans that can ignore the bigger picture and enjoy these types of results accordingly. I can't. The depressingly grim context of our overall situation numbs me to everything that happens on the pitch right now.

I agree that surviving in this league is important if we assume Venky's are going to leave in the next year or two. As you say, this surely can't go on for much longer. They've stripped almost every shred of meat from the club's bones, and by the summer they will have picked away at whatever is left.

Right now I'm genuinely fearful that we may not have a club to support within a couple of years. Nobody knows what Venky's end game will be. That's why an extremely fortunate 1-0 win against Newcastle doesn't do much for me. Obviously there are a lot of fans that can ignore the bigger picture and enjoy these types of results accordingly. I can't. The depressingly grim context of our overall situation numbs me to everything that happens on the pitch right now.

This all may be irrelevant in a couple of months, last night besides hearing about no money to fix the under soil heating, there is a very very strong rumour Baljai will pull the plug and we will be in administration and therefore be deducted points so relegated anyway. But we would be rid.

This all may be irrelevant in a couple of months, last night besides hearing about no money to fix the under soil heating, there is a very very strong rumour Baljai will pull the plug and we will be in administration and therefore be deducted points so relegated anyway. But we would be rid.

Bring it on

Don't get your hopes up is what I would say.

I think we will just stay up, simply because especially compared to the teams around us, the spine of Mulgrew, Hoban, Evans, Conway, Gallagher and Graham are miles better than Burton and Wigan, Burton have just signed Sordell and Luke Varney as a strikeforce, so in spite of Coyle I think we will stay up, but still thats not good enough and he needs to go still. And relegation is inevitable sooner rather than later because of the other players, manager and owners.

I think we will end up with 44 points max. March and April fixtures are tough

Charlton were relegated last season with 40 points. I think we will need to continue our slight upturn to reach 44 and can't help thinking back to the wild optimism (admittedly mainly from Coyle) after back to back wins a few weeks ago which were followed by a real slump.

I am genuinely fearful for the 1st time after reviewing the fixtures and we may have to win at Fulham (midweek) or Norwich to stay up.

Twitchy....

I think we will end up with 44 points max. March and April fixtures are tough

Charlton were relegated last season with 40 points. I think we will need to continue our slight upturn to reach 44 and can't help thinking back to the wild optimism (admittedly mainly from Coyle) after back to back wins a few weeks ago which were followed by a real slump.

I am genuinely fearful for the 1st time after reviewing the fixtures and we may have to win at Fulham (midweek) or Norwich to stay up.

Twitchy....

The safety benchmark in the championship is 50 but the safety net figure this time will highly likely be around 44-46

Loan players are brilliant in a team challenging to push on. When its backs against the wall they are exactly what you don't want. Make no bones about it, there will be "its ok, I go back at the end of the year" in their mindset.

• 1 month later...
On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:28 PM, scotty_beam_me_up said:

Strongest championship since we've been in it. Normally at least one of the relegated clubs are in disarray but Norwich are well run. Newcastle have kept Rafa and spending cash. Villa might implode but new owners should mean a bit of cash spent although I thin de matteo was a bad appointment. Pearson had his pick of clubs and chose Derby and they will do well this year. Top 4 out of reach.

Mid table?? Have we surpassed any of the teams who finished above us last season in the transfer market? No. So top half out of reach.

We flirted with relegation last season. So our season comes down to whether we are better than the 3 promoted clubs and Rotherham (without Warnock they'd have been down).

For me 5th from bottom at best. Normally a promoted club carries some momentum so I'd say 4th from bottom.

Just looking over my prediction from start of the season. My first line already making me wince as I now think this is the weakest championship since we've been in it. Pearson proved me wrong as well.

I'm just hoping my 4th from bottom prediction is right!

Archived