SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Problem is buying after the season starts means that significant squad changes happen whilst the season is underway. Players are required to bed in almost instantly and haven't had the benefit of any pre-season with team-mates or backroom staff. Bringing in a couple of players is fine, but any more than that and you're running an increasingly higher risk of disruption and disunity. 

Venky's transfer "strategy" has handicapped us multiple times over the years, although it's mostly been due to us selling players close to the deadline as opposed to bringing them in.  

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really?

Its 4 league games. 

Do you settle in, move house, know where everything is etc when you start a new job? There will no doubly be a lingering affect over a few games after whilst they settle in.

You know like preseason training and bonding camps are for.

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The Lenihen thing will run until 2 mins to midnight whenever the window shuts ;)

I'll have a Chaddy on this Lenihan thing already being agreed, just a waiting game. Really wouldn't surprise me if Rovers said you can have him 1m cheaper if you wait until the end of August.

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

I'll have a Chaddy on this Lenihan thing already being agreed, just a waiting game. Really wouldn't surprise me if Rovers said you can have him 1m cheaper if you wait until the end of August.

Why? Tell me why they'd purposely cost themselves money?

Im all for the legitimate concerns, but this is neither that or sarcastic humour. Did you use only 1/4 of your wit on that post :) 

34 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Do you settle in, move house, know where everything is etc when you start a new job? There will no doubly be a lingering affect over a few games after whilst they settle in.

You know like preseason training and bonding camps are for.

Know where everything is? Like what? The pitch? The goal?

Rudy did ok when he joined halfway through the season, as did Danny Graham and Conway. So do hundreds of others who move in January, They're footballers, their job hasn't changed. I'm sure they can hit the ground running even if they join 2 weeks into the season without cracking up and demanding a move back to Rochdale or wherever.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Problem is buying after the season starts means that significant squad changes happen whilst the season is underway. Players are required to bed in almost instantly and haven't had the benefit of any pre-season with team-mates or backroom staff. Bringing in a couple of players is fine, but any more than that and you're running an increasingly higher risk of disruption and disunity. 

Lambert brought 9 in one January. They all seemed to bed in ok.  No disunity etc

18 minutes ago, Biz said:

Why? Tell me why they'd purposely cost themselves money?

Im all for the legitimate concerns, but this is neither that or sarcastic humour. Did you use only 1/4 of your wit on that post :) 

Because they've got a habit of using the window closing as an excuse. Rovers can keep tweeting about how 'the boss wants new players' but Venkys transfer history shows that net spend is consistently in a negative. I just cannot believe that they will spend more than they receive, so if we are spending 750k on Dack and 500k on Samuel, I think theres at least 1.25m somewhere they are already counting on.

Just now, J*B said:

Because they've got a habit of using the window closing as an excuse. Rovers can keep tweeting about how 'the boss wants new players' but Venkys transfer history shows that net spend is consistently in a negative. I just cannot believe that they will spend more than they receive, so if we are spending 750k on Dack and 500k on Samuel, I think theres at least 1.25m somewhere they are already counting on.

1. You said you'd bet on it being already been agreed. 

2. You suggest that we'd give sheff utd or whoever a discount to make it late august? Why, to purposely frustrate fans and/or use the "lateness" as an excuse not to invest?

That's just absolute barmy. I'd call it tomphilesque but I think that's doing him a big disservice! I'm in agreement that they've not spent a lot on transfers, but are we that far into this that we believe stuff like your initial post?

If net spend had constantly been negative to net income, why are we in 100+m of debt, JB? 

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Know where everything is? Like what? The pitch? The goal?

Rudy did ok when he joined halfway through the season, as did Danny Graham and Conway. So do hundreds of others who move in January, They're footballers, their job hasn't changed. I'm sure they can hit the ground running even if they join 2 weeks into the season without cracking up and demanding a move back to Rochdale or wherever.

I think that's a little bit naive of you in all fairness. Living out of a hotel whilst you find a place in Manchester etc (Samuels) can be quite distracting especially if you've a family or you've left those down south/Scotland etc and spending allot of time away from them particularly if they're young. It's allot more than on the pitch too,you've seen how detached or how depression, gambling etc can kick in within a footballer.

It can take weeks to find yourself knowing the way round new places, new staff, establishing a new routine.

Sam talks allot about it in his book about the psychological parts of transfers tbf.

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Lambert brought 9 in one January. They all seemed to bed in ok.  No disunity etc

Didn't we go on a run of no wins until something like March??

Just now, DE. said:

Didn't we go on a run of no wins until something like March??

Yeah, but apart from that....:)

As I said at the time that was mainly because Lambert's a poor manager who is more than capable of going on winless runs stretching 7,8,9 games. He did it at Wolves too. And Villa.

• Backroom
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Yeah, but apart from that....:)

As I said at the time that was mainly because Lambert's a poor manager who is more than capable of going on winless runs stretching 7,8,9 games. He did it at Wolves too. And Villa.

I'm sure selling our best striker and having to bring in a ton of new players didn't help much.

If we want to hit the ground running, we won't do it if the plan is to buy 4/5 first team players at the end of August. It'll be the same stuttering start we have to practically every campaign under Venky's.

2 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I think that's a little bit naive of you in all fairness. Living out of a hotel whilst you find a place in Manchester etc (Samuels) can be quite distracting especially if you've a family or you've left those down south/Scotland etc and spending allot of time away from them particularly if they're young. It's allot more than on the pitch too,you've seen how detached or how depression, gambling etc can kick in within a footballer.

It can take weeks to find yourself knowing the way round new places, new staff, establishing a new routine.

Sam talks allot about it in his book about the psychological parts of transfers tbf.

We're talking about a few weeks here. Whether they sign on July 31st or August 20th will not make a blind bit of difference to how they perform over a season., or if they develop gambling habits or depression. Let's not be daft ;)

14 hours ago, Mercer said:

Well some people clearly don't change!

Let me know your local and I'll get a couple of pints credited to your tab.

Mine's the Black Jug.

Was mildly perturbed by some of your posts last season. Have been on the wagon since midnight last night. A couple of St Clement's and a bag of salt and vinegar would do nicely, ta.

14 hours ago, Mercer said:

Well some people clearly don't change!

Let me know your local and I'll get a couple of pints credited to your tab.

Mine's the Black Jug.

Was mildly perturbed by some of your posts last season. Have been on the wagon since midnight last night. A couple of St Clement's and a bag of salt and vinegar would do nicely, ta.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We're talking about a few weeks here. Whether they sign on July 31st or August 20th will not make a blind bit of difference to how they perform over a season., or if they develop gambling habits or depression. Let's not be daft ;)

A productive employee is usually one which is happy, settled and supported, that's why most clubs have player liasion officers working for the club.  Did Rovers replace Matt Hocking btw?

Of course a few weeks makes a difference if they're supported earlier brought in in time they get used to the club quickly, they can strike up player relationships, as a manager TM can get them used to his way of working and generally tactically on the pitch. A good start to the season is usually imperative and provides a springboard confidence wise for the season.

Harder to do once the season starts and training patterns change etc

Archived