SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2016 at 18:39, Gav said:

£8m, its almost as bonkers as that show pony going to Russia for £10m!

The worlds gone mad.

Former Blackburn and Stoke midfielder Steven N'Zonzi closes in on £35m Juventus move. Now that IS crazy.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I agree, if he's going it's got to be for at least 4/5m. It's pointless saying "then we could invest in 3/4 good younger pros on the fringes of their teams" when the owners haven't allowed that since GB raised his own transfer money selling the likes of Olson, Rochina et al.

I think you could build an exceptionally talented 11 for league one on 4/5m though.

Who has said that?

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I agree, if he's going it's got to be for at least 4/5m. It's pointless saying "then we could invest in 3/4 good younger pros on the fringes of their teams" when the owners haven't allowed that since GB raised his own transfer money selling the likes of Olson, Rochina et al.

I think you could build an exceptionally talented 11 for league one on 4/5m though.

We've heard similar excuses for 7 years.

Yet we've consistently sold individuals and not built a better team. You don't improve by selling your best players.

Rightly or wrongly i do believe we ll get nowhere near 5M for Lenihan.

A quick look at transfers for players from League One and possibly only four ? 5M or above transfer fees and those players  moved to Premier League clubs.

League One status will have a bearing on transfer fees unfortunately.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I personally would take 3million for Lenihan. Use the money for an experienced centre half, 2 proven lower league strikers and a winger. Ward, Mulgrew and Wharton plus another would be more than good enough for league1. 

Trouble is, 7 years of Venkys says the team won't get that money :/

Even if we kept Lenihan you'd think we'd need another CB capable of playing the full season as Mulgrew and Ward just can't be relied upon. As it stands Wharton may be regularly called upon. That could be the plan if he's good enough. Then again it could all go t1ts-up early on and Mowbray reverts to three CB's.

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Even if we kept Lenihan you'd think we'd need another CB capable of playing the full season as Mulgrew and Ward just can't be relied upon. As it stands Wharton may be regularly called upon. That could be the plan if he's good enough. Then again it could all go t1ts-up early on and Mowbray reverts to three CB's.

I would love us to play 3CB. Look a lot more organised and potent. Add 2 CB to the shopping list in that case. Franco Baresi in the starting lineup in sunny Southend

33 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Yet we've consistently sold individuals and not built a better team. You don't improve by selling your best players.

Excuses? Saying you can build a first team with that amount in fees at this level is an excuse? Once again you mistake things you disagree with for perceived "excuses" of the "guilty".

If you'd read the previous paragraph you'dve seen that I actually said the same about any fee being fully reinvested.

34 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I wouldn't disagree with that.  In fifty-odd years of watching Rovers I've only seen it done once.  Gordon Lee sold our best two players - Tony Field and Terry Garbutt - and with the proceeds built a team that won the Third Division Championship.  Sadly, fifty-odd years of following the Rovers have taught me that this club, like the majority of clubs outside of the elite few, usually ends up selling its best players at some point.  I still remember being distraught when Fred Pickering was sold to Everton - our rivals in chasing the First Division title at the time - and sadly, far too many have since followed.  I long since stopped worrying about it and have accepted it as part and parcel of following the Rovers.  It's been going on throughout my time following the club and it was going on long before then.  Unfortunately, it is likely to go on long into the future irrespective of who owns the club.

7 minutes ago, Butty said:

Maybe the Lenihan money has already been spent :blink:

It has (well some of it) - which puts to bed the whole idea of them funding a promotion push. The prolonging of this striker deal also seems to point to them waiting for Lenihan to go before handing over any dosh. Lets say 500k for Samuel plus the 750k for Dack. They will probably take in around 2.5 for Lenihan. Another freebie in and a couple of loans and that's business done with a bit of profit for them.

42 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I wouldn't disagree with that.  In fifty-odd years of watching Rovers I've only seen it done once.  Gordon Lee sold our best two players - Tony Field and Terry Garbutt - and with the proceeds built a team that won the Third Division Championship.  Sadly, fifty-odd years of following the Rovers have taught me that this club, like the majority of clubs outside of the elite few, usually ends up selling its best players at some point.  I still remember being distraught when Fred Pickering was sold to Everton - our rivals in chasing the First Division title at the time - and sadly, far too many have since followed.  I long since stopped worrying about it and have accepted it as part and parcel of following the Rovers.  It's been going on throughout my time following the club and it was going on long before then.  Unfortunately, it is likely to go on long into the future irrespective of who owns the club.

In previous times those selling players have had a semblance of a plan and actually created teams capable of at least competing. People like Mark Hughes was able to keep his best players and add to them. Kenny did likewise, granted using owner money of a level not seen until Venkys rocked up, who of course decided not to spend any of theirs. Yes, he eventually lost his best player(s) but not until we were ready.

Conversely, this lot have sold everyone of value whilst producing less and less competitive teams, reducing quality to the point of failure for each division. This isn't directly due to the player sale but down to what Venkys allow to be done with the proceeds. And at each sign of a change of heart - Bowyer, Lambert, Mowbray - they sucker (the same) people into believing that sales are for 'the greater good' and then only sanctioning freebie cast offs and parent-club-funded loanees. Everything on the cheap.

With decent owners I'd expect Lenihan to be sold and funds used to improve the rest of the team - like should have happened when we sold Rhodes (our only antidote to relegation under this lot). Instead, is expect the money to go elsewhere (oddly our debt never seems to reduce) and a loan fee being sanctioned. Meanwhile we continue to struggle.

Wonder if an unprecedented League 2 'adventure' will wake anybody from their "part and parcel" slumber?

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

In previous times those selling players have had a semblance of a plan and actually created teams capable of at least competing. 

I'm not sure that previous times have always seen directors with a plan.  I believe that there was always a plan under the stewardship of Jack - although the break-up of the title winning team led to relegation - and John Williams with the Trust.  However, there were many times prior to that when players were sold simply because the money was too attractive to turn down irrespective of what it meant to the team and very little found its way back into rebuilding a team on the pitch but merely covered the running costs of the club.     

I think until these Owners leave we will always be wary and mistrustful.

Even though I am optimistic for the new Season its important to analyse whether the downward trend is still continuing eg if we get promoted in 17/18 what will 18/19 be like without quality replacements?

The Club still needs a complete overhaul and putting it on a more Lancashire and 'community' footing.

16 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I'm not sure that previous times have always seen directors with a plan.  I believe that there was always a plan under the stewardship of Jack - although the break-up of the title winning team led to relegation - and John Williams with the Trust.  However, there were many times prior to that when players were sold simply because the money was too attractive to turn down irrespective of what it meant to the team and very little found its way back into rebuilding a team on the pitch but merely covered the running costs of the club.     

The appointments of the vastly overated Hodgson and hopeless nice guy Brian Kidd did for relegation. Championship winning side took a few years to break up but there was about 40 million spent by those two duds.

29 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

A ball has not been kicked, not a player sold, the trash has been released and 4 additions made and I am seeing talk of league 2. Sort it out! This season is a chance to lift our spirits. A full season with TM at the helm, an opportunity to build this ship and let it sail again. 

Don't come round 'ere with yer glimmers of hope. You need to either start wallowing in the darkest recesses of human misery or be outed as a Venky-apologist.

Archived