BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Advert In Indian Press

Madon

Surely there's at least one ex rover somewhere that cares enough to spend a pittance of there footballers wealth to get this over the line .... and I will say shut up chaddy before he says it was only a job .

Calling all ex players do any of you care ...we need a hashtag and twitter blitz

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Update:

We have the ad content, we have the ad design, we have the funds to get it into the paper but not a full page.

The advert IMO is great, it has a couple of quotes from Gandhi in there added with nothing but facts about what has happened at our club.

I emailed the design over to a lady at the Times of India, who has replied with:

"Dear Sir,

As per our legal dept, the given ad matter is not acceptable for print."

Times of India now won't touch this with a shi*ty stick, and we are now back to square one.

• Backroom

I feel a bit sick reading that. I've seen the ad content and it is quite literally facts and quotes, which can all be proven by looking at the published accounts and published attendance figures.

They are hiding behind the easy “legal issues” line. More likely is that Venky’s spend millions of rupees advertising through Times of India and other publications so the commercial arms of these newspapers will not allow this kind of thing to be published as it almost certainly mean Venky’s would stop placing adverts with them. It is all about revenue.

I don't want to come across as obtuse, but just genuinely wondering if anything was ran by them, before at a previous stage i.e. were they made aware of the kind of thing it may contain? Has this been an unexpected change of heart (perhaps after liaising with Venky's) after previously appearing happy with the message, or were they never aware of what we intended to publish?

Sickening news, as this had the potential to be more effective than anything to date.

• Backroom

I don't want to come across as obtuse, but just genuinely wondering if anything was ran by them, before at a previous stage i.e. were they made aware of the kind of thing it may contain? Has this been an unexpected change of heart (perhaps after liaising with Venky's) after previously appearing happy with the message, or were they never aware of what we intended to publish?

Sickening news, as this had the potential to be more effective than anything to date.

Yes, the first ever email I sent to the lady I have been in contact with, back in September, I explained what the advert would be about and linked her to the website www.venkysout.com

Unfortunately, now we have the design and I've sent it off they have point blank refused to accept it.

Gutted as this has taken bloody ages to finally get sorted!

Yes, the first ever email I sent to the lady I have been in contact with, back in September, I explained what the advert would be about and linked her to the website www.venkysout.com

Unfortunately, now we have the design and I've sent it off they have point blank refused to accept it.

Gutted as this has taken bloody ages to finally get sorted!

That's even more depressing, after so much effort, particularly from yourself, to be let down like this. I had been banking on this to finally be the initiative that created a few waves in India. Keep the head up, and there may be potential to have it placed else where?

• Backroom

Just a thought, could it be the Ghandi quotes that are the problem?

I have asked for advice on how we can make this acceptable to their legal team, they just keep coming back with the same line that 'the ad matter is not acceptable'.

It's a shame as the lady I had been dealing with has been extremely helpful up until today, but I assume her hands have been tied.

That's even more depressing, after so much effort, particularly from yourself, to be let down like this. I had been banking on this to finally be the initiative that created a few waves in India. Keep the head up, and there may be potential to have it placed else where?

I need to have a look at the alternatives, maybe one of the big screens on the high streets, maybe an advert at the cricket? I have no idea at the moment as to both whether:

A) It's possible

and

B ) The cost.

• Backroom

Disappointing but not altogether surprising, although hard to be critical if the question was asked before funds raised (which is clearly was) but it would be a little unusual to see a criticism of a company as an advert.

Keep plugging away Madon I think something at the cricket or the poultry convention would be targeted at the right crowd

Finally thank you for trying, we need folk willing to try

I know other avenues at getting this message across in India are going to be tried and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but will this work? If Venky's are spending on adverts in the Times Of India, then you can guarantee this will be advertising at Cricket Grounds and the likes. Whoever they spend money with, is unlikely to favour us and a one off advert, over them who use them all the time. It remind me of Anderson and his appearance on Sky News this, where we have no right of reply. Closing ranks all around us these people with money and it is not going to be easy to break, I am afraid.

• Backroom

At the moment it would appear that it's us against the world.

We have just got to keep going, look at my profile picture... that is what we're fighting for.

• Backroom

Ambitious, but could we get something draped/projected onto the Thwaites building? A simple 'We want Venky's out!' to be seen by anyone in Blackburn and anyone going eastbound on the m65?

That's a real kick in the nuts, especially for you Madon. Ideas (especially that won't have occurred to you I'll bet) is hardly my forte but.....

• are there any other similar papers worth approaching, especially if you can point out the sources for the info in the 'advert'. After all, an Indian paper/website (Sportskeeda) have already published a lengthy article that's very critical of Venky's
  • is it worth approaching the journo behind that Sportskeeda article - Debjit Lahiri @DebjitL - to get some in country advice about publications that could be more open to the 'advert'?
  • would someone, maybe that Sportskeeda chap, advise on what in particular isn't acceptable?
  • to bring this whole escapade to wider attention, is it worth contacting someone like the FSF with a view to writing the tale behind this for their website? Maybe the 'advert' could form part of the article, showing it's not full of illegal stuff
  • any British/international websites that would publish the advert so it's seen by some of the audience originally intended?

• Backroom

Could we set up a website and pay for Google AdWords so our Venkys website comes up first?

I'm working on getting it as far up google rankings as possible...

It was 4th on the first page last week when you typed in 'Venkys'...

I added a new page and it has gone down to the 3rd page! Google rankings are so temperamental, it should be back on the first page in a few days hopefully!

Archived