BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I've seen a fair bit of him Tony. I would have enjoyed playing alongside this lad - could be just what we need!

He is undoubtedly a rough diamond Andy but playing alongside the cultured Mulgrew and under a manager who was raw boned centre half himself should polish up nicely.

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Even though they made a loss or paid same amount  on Rhodes we got 20%?I don't remember it being said that we got 20% of the Rhodes to Wednesday transfer fee?Where did you see or hear that?

So we should have got 2 million from Boro this summer then as Rhodes only completed the permanent 10 million transfer to Wednesday in the summer 

Thought I read it at the time I'd be surprised if we didn't put one in for him. 

24 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Nowhere near the ilk of Samba, Nelsen, Jones, Henchoz (1st time around) and Big Col.

Of course he wasn't in their class but he was (and still is) a very good Championship centre half. We'd love him back now

9 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

Thought I read it at the time I'd be surprised if we didn't put one in for him. 

Yeah but surely the clause only kicks in if they sell for a profit?

I don't believe we will get anything from the Hanley deal,when sell on clauses are inserted it usually refers to a percentage of any profit made Newcastle will be making a 2 million loss on Hanley 

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but surely the clause only kicks in if they sell for a profit?

I don't believe we will get anything from the Hanley deal,when sell on clauses are inserted it usually refers to a percentage of any profit made Newcastle will be making a 2 million loss on Hanley 

Depends what clause

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Of course he wasn't in their class but he was (and still is) a very good Championship centre half. We'd love him back now

He should be a capable Championship player. I stand by my response though, Duffy and Hanley were nowhere near an excellent pairing and I still think Newcastle clocked quickly that he wasn't good enough.  Like our signings though, who knows, given game time up there he may have come good.  He certainly never lacked effort and is better than Ward, so based on that, I'd take him back.  Good luck to the lad, it can't have been fun playing here.

Just now, Pedro said:

He should be a capable Championship player. I stand by my response though, Duffy and Hanley were nowhere near an excellent pairing and I still think Newcastle clocked quickly that he wasn't good enough.  Like our signings though, who knows, given game time up there he may have come good.  He certainly never lacked effort and is better than Ward, so based on that, I'd take him back.  Good luck to the lad, it can't have been fun playing here.

Hanley went to Newcastle for good money and Brighton paid a tidy sum for Duffy too - both better clubs than Rovers at present who got promoted last season - so they must have been doing something right. I thought they were our best pair for years. 

Danny Graham plays tonight. I felt it would have been a massive sign that he was on his way if he didn't start tonight as it seemed like a perfect opportunity to give him a run out. Looks like he's staying - wouldn't be surprised if he scored tonight. 

2 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Danny Graham plays tonight. I felt it would have been a massive sign that he was on his way if he didn't start tonight as it seemed like a perfect opportunity to give him a run out. Looks like he's staying - wouldn't be surprised if he scored tonight. 

I hope he does stay...and that Mowbray has stopped trying to ruin him by playing him as a lone ranger striker.

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Hanley went to Newcastle for good money and Brighton paid a tidy sum for Duffy too - both better clubs than Rovers at present who got promoted last season - so they must have been doing something right. I thought they were our best pair for years. 

To quote Frankie Boyle, that's like being the best looking man on the burns unit.

7 hours ago, Biz said:

I'm guessing you don't count Coventry because it's league 2, but count Burnley because it's Burnley... (or you just cant count)

Yeh I can't count!!!! totally forgot the Coventry game, oh well my mistake !

People will be feeling underwhelmed with Heneghan as he's not high profile but there were plenty of people feeling underwhelmed with the Smallwood signing, now he's had a good few games they have changed their tune. I've seen Heneghan play for Chester several times, obviously it's not a high standard but he did stand out and wasn't surprised to see him signed up by a bigger club. He would do well here. 

7 minutes ago, Tormund said:

People will be feeling underwhelmed with Heneghan as he's not high profile but there were plenty of people feeling underwhelmed with the Smallwood signing, now he's had a good few games they have changed their tune. I've seen Heneghan play for Chester several times, obviously it's not a high standard but he did stand out and wasn't surprised to see him signed up by a bigger club. He would do well here. 

Hi Tormund glad to see you survived the attack on Eastwatch

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Nonsense. Hanley is a very good Championship player. He and Duffy formed an excellent partnership, one of the best in the division. 

Is that the same partnership that saw us consistently down near the bottom?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Two players responsible for a failing team and club - I think not my dear boy. 

I'd agree that they had certain qualities, which is what made them both sellable assets, but one of the best partnerships in the division? You've got to be joking, dear pensioner.

Just now, Phil T said:

I'd agree that they had certain qualities, which is what made them both sellable assets, but one of the best partnerships in the division? You've got to be joking, dear pensioner.

From the Lambert story

Only five teams have conceded fewer goals than Rovers (18) in the current Championship campaign and only four teams have kept more clean sheets.

40 minutes ago, Tormund said:

No nonsense defender or ball playing defender?

20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You keep Kevin Gallacher, I have Champions League winning manager Rafa Benitez in my corner.

To be fair, you've always looked past their mistakes and goals against column and championed Hanley and Duffy a number of times.  If you like or rate them, that's absolutely fine.  I am more a Samba/Nelsen man where the opposition was much better yet their class was unquestionable.  To state that Duffy and Hanley was the best Rovers partnership 'in years' must've been an exremely small amount of years ? 

Anyway...transfers ?

Archived