BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadline day 2017 (no unrelated chat)

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Sheffield United have agreed a deal to sign Motherwell defender Ben Heneghan. #sufc #twitterblades #motherwell #DeadineDay

Presumably ends their interest in Lenihan. 

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Feeney is apparently off to Cardiff. Could be in the premiership next season :) Best move of any of our summer departures if true 

Strange about Feeney. He played Championship football for Bolton. Left them for us when they got relegated. My trotter mate said Feeney was OK. I think Feeney has been rubbish.

Now gone to Cardiff!!!????  ffs  What the heck is Warnock playing at?

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You have said this season that you would drop Williams, and Doyle has never played a league minute.

Baring in mind this Harper is 17, so hes hardly ready to come straight in and give us another option, and with rubbish like Gladwin and Antonsson already brought in, you would agree its poor use of resources by Mowbray to ignore strengthening our weakest position?

Smallwood, Samuel, Dack, Chapman and Caddis look like good signings and I think Whittingham will come good but surely you understand what I am saying.

Like I said to you previously Mowbray must be happy with Williams and Doyle as left back options. I do think Doyle will be 1st choice by end of the season. Alot of potential he has. 

Dont know anything about Harper at all apart from he was on bench recently in league. Could be player. Dont know honestly. 

At the start of the summer, midfield and forwards was our weakness areas. Mowbray has addresssed those areas. 

Not going to called Gladwin or Antonsson until they have a run of games. Not going to judge them in 2 games

Samuel, Smallwood, Dack, Chapman looks a good players..

Lets see who we sign in 3 hours time

Just now, bazza said:

Strange about Feeney. He played Championship football for Bolton. Left them for us when they got relegated. My trotter mate said Feeney was OK. I think Feeney has been rubbish.

Now gone to Cardiff!!!????  ffs  What the heck is Warnock playing at?

Whatever he's doing, it's working. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

He's paid the going Championship rate I presume. Good luck to him. He deserves a new start after all the rubbish he's had to take from some fans and watching the club he joined as a boy go down the pan. 

You'd have thought his agent would have done better than to get this superb championship midfielder just a one year deal. Maybe Lowe needs a better agent. His current one seems lazy, too old and has 'done his bit' for previous clients.

Just now, Hasta said:

You'd have thought his agent would have done better than to get this superb championship midfielder just a one year deal. Maybe Lowe needs a better agent. His current one seems lazy, too old and has 'done his bit' for previous clients.

I think you're right there. He deserves a 3-year deal. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not going to called Gladwin or Antonsson until they have a run of games. Not going to judge them in 2 games

Samuel, Smallwood, Dack, Chapman looks a good players.

How many games did it take you to judge the positive ones? 2.5? 

Just now, Speedie Dived said:

What? Mulgrew is brilliant. Don't be sticking him at left back. Good god

Brilliant footballer. Not a commanding centre half. To be fair my comment was half in jest about needing a left back. However a 6ft 5in striker who has a bit about him would have a field day against two Mulgrews at centre half. Same with Lenihan. I just want a big typical centre half to sit alongside one of the other ball-playing centre halves.

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He's paid the going Championship rate I presume. Good luck to him. He deserves a new start after all the rubbish he's had to take from some fans and watching the club he joined as a boy go down the pan. 

Not his biggest fan, but every manager we have had since Kean has played him, including at International level. Guthrie aside, i think all of our released players are  now playing above us.

Just now, Hasta said:

Brilliant footballer. Not a commanding centre half. To be fair my comment was half in jest about needing a left back. However a 6ft 5in striker who has a bit about him would have a field day against two Mulgrews at centre half. Same with Lenihan. I just want a big typical centre half to sit alongside one of the other ball-playing centre halves.

Fair comment. Sadly i think we will have to take some whipper snapper running Charlie into the channels, against the distribution he gives us. Will work in our favour over the course of a season. Will get burnt occasionally.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said to you previously Mowbray must be happy with Williams and Doyle as left back options. I do think Doyle will be 1st choice by end of the season. Alot of potential he has. 

Dont know anything about Harper at all apart from he was on bench recently in league. Could be player. Dont know honestly. 

At the start of the summer, midfield and forwards was our weakness areas. Mowbray has addresssed those areas. 

Samuel, Smallwood, Dack, Chapman looks a good players..

Lets see who we sign in 3 hours time

This is why its difficult to have a conversation with you. 

Youve already said you arent happy with Williams this season, our only senior left back whose made a league appearance. Yet because it seems we wont be signing someone to rectify this glaring weakness your only justification is "Mowbray must be happy."

We haven't got enough as it stands. Even the manager has admitted that in his press conferences this week. Of course the optimists among us will point to keeping hold of our better players - I admit I am very pleased by that - but it is only half the story. The squad isn't deep enough. Quite clear Mowbray wants/wanted more but the wage bill has been maxed out and only a departure or two will free up the necessary funds. If he's lucky he'll get a very cheap loan in like the teenager from WBA to fill a gap as he won't be on much and WBA will pay it for him to get game time. 

Take the defence. Currently relying on Elliott Ward and Charlie Mulgrew. No recognised back up, Lenihan and Wharton both out injured. Not an acceptable situation. The fact that Mowbray has been pursuing this Motherwell lad suggests he isn't happy with the numbers and options so why any of us would be I'm not sure. Keeping Lenihan is good yes, but if he or Mulgrew had gone today it would be a disaster situation.

You can't have 11 good players and countless good backup options. Not with our budget. every team will have strengths and weaknesses. Overall keeping our main men was the key for today. 

We have more than enough to go up. Over to Tony to make it happen now

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

What are you basing that on? Mowbray has said he isn't happy with the depth of the squad yet hasn't managed to bring anyone in. I know why I think that is.

In fairness JH we had reportedly agreed a fee for Hennegan earlier in the day but Sheffield United beat us to him.But I do agree it's ridiculous that we are leaving it this late to address the areas in the squad where we are short.And it looks like nothing will be happening now..if anything was close surely we would be hearing leaks 

Archived