Sign in to follow this  
S8 & Blue

Other Football League 2018/19

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think you'd surely be concerned though. They didn't sign anyone during this transfer window either. Even we made a few signings in January during our L1 campaign. Downing and Armstrong, the latter of whom had a significant impact on the second half of our campaign. 

Didn't know they didn't sign anyone. I haven't them close tbh. Is that down to Owñer why they didn't sign anyone? 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didn't know they didn't sign anyone. I haven't them close tbh. Is that down to Owñer why they didn't sign anyone? 

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/o-neill-on-ipswich-s-quiet-january-transfer-window-1-6502497

There's quite an extensive interview here from their general manager of football operations which goes into detail, but basically very similar excuses to the ones we got from Mowbray and Waggott this time around. Domino effect, valuations not being right, etc. 

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/o-neill-on-ipswich-s-quiet-january-transfer-window-1-6502497

There's quite an extensive interview here from their general manager of football operations which goes into detail, but basically very similar excuses to the ones we got from Mowbray and Waggott this time around. Domino effect, valuations not being right, etc. 

Ipswich signed Josh Earl according to that article. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Ipswich signed Josh Earl according to that article. 

Yes you're right, they did make one loan signing, so more achieved than us!

I'd go as far as to say Lambert is doing a genuinely bad job there to be honest. I appreciate he inherited a bad situation from Paul Hurst but most managers with anything about them at least improve a team slightly if not by much. Mowbray inherited a pretty shitty situation from Coyle but still improved us almost instantly and we were ultimately unlucky to go down. I believe Lambert did no better than Hurst when he took over for the remainder of last season. For Ipswich to be where they are and in the form they're in right now is appalling - League 1 is very poor so there can't be any excuses really.

I see Trevor Kettle was trending on twitter tonight after another abysmal refereeing display 

I remember being warned about him possibly by @arbitro , he was beyond awful when we had him in league one 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not only does Lambert deserve the sack but Grayson might not be far behind in the dole queue.

Can you explain why you think Grayson should be sack? 

Fleetwood under Barton playing well and might just get top 6. 

Top of league 2 is very interesting now. 4 teams going for top 3 spots

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can you explain why you think Grayson should be sack? 

They want top 6, down in 15th, 13 points off the play offs, 4 losses in 5, signed plenty of players too, clearly not working out for him.

He’s done poorly in his last few jobs now has Grayson. He had a reputation as a promotion expert from League One but don’t think any teams looking to get out of that league will be turning to him anytime soon.

Wonder what’ll happen to Dunny - he only went there a few weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, frosty said:

He’s done poorly in his last few jobs now has Grayson. He had a reputation as a promotion expert from League One but don’t think any teams looking to get out of that league will be turning to him anytime soon.

Wonder what’ll happen to Dunny - he only went there a few weeks ago.

Anyone who watched the Sunderland doc on Netflix would have huge reservations.

One scene he is giving a presentation to the players with a flip chart in a poorly fitted suit. Didn't look great now. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously theIr owner does want better than what Grayson is serving up... sacked.

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2020/february/club-statement-simon-grayson/

very quick decision buy the their owner. 

That is a simple statement. 

Heckingbottom odds on favourite for job

Very surprised at that. If this season wasnt a transition season for Blackpool I don't know what is. New owner, McPhillips walking at short notice, first full season Oyston free. I'd have expected him to be given the summer and the start of next season at the very least given his CV in that division. 

If Heckingbottom is the alternative Blackpool might wish they'd kept Grayson.

It was a really disasterous run he was on - 1 win in 12 (sound familiar?) so can understand it.

That said given the circumstances and his previous record - 4 promotions is no fluke- I'm a bit surprised they didn't give him longer. 

Perhaps the game is moving on past him as his last few jobs havent gone well but 4 promotions suggests he has something about him and Sunderland has been a negative on so many manager's careers I'm not sure it counts! Will be interesting to see if they appoint better. Am not sure that they will. 

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not only does Lambert deserve the sack but Grayson might not be far behind in the dole queue.

Any chance of Lottery numbers for this Saturday?

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Very surprised at that. If this season wasnt a transition season for Blackpool I don't know what is. New owner, McPhillips walking at short notice, first full season Oyston free. I'd have expected him to be given the summer and the start of next season at the very least given his CV in that division. 

If Heckingbottom is the alternative Blackpool might wish they'd kept Grayson.

Blackpool's owner said that promotion to the Championship over next few years in the summer. 

Didn't Blackpool signed 12 players in the January transfer window?

50 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

It was a really disasterous run he was on - 1 win in 12 (sound familiar?) so can understand it.

That said given the circumstances and his previous record - 4 promotions is no fluke- I'm a bit surprised they didn't give him longer. 

Perhaps the game is moving on past him as his last few jobs havent gone well but 4 promotions suggests he has something about him and Sunderland has been a negative on so many manager's careers I'm not sure it counts! Will be interesting to see if they appoint better. Am not sure that they will. 

Think he's made 3 poor steps in his career

Walking out of a secure job at PNE where his stock was high to join crisis club Sunderland - can understand the logic behind it but Sunderland a complete basket case.

Joining Bradford when they were being run by the German nutter who sacked McCall and appointed the youth team manager so he could run the team.

Joining Blackpool - in theory a sensible move to an ex club just after being taken over but it seems their fans weren't overly keen and they appear to have ideas beyond their station. As I said last week I'm not sure where Blackpool think they should be but I think mid-table League One is about right.

50 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Think he's made 3 poor steps in his career

Walking out of a secure job at PNE where his stock was high to join crisis club Sunderland - can understand the logic behind it but Sunderland a complete basket case.

Joining Bradford when they were being run by the German nutter who sacked McCall and appointed the youth team manager so he could run the team.

Joining Blackpool - in theory a sensible move to an ex club just after being taken over but it seems their fans weren't overly keen and they appear to have ideas beyond their station. As I said last week I'm not sure where Blackpool think they should be but I think mid-table League One is about right.

Agree shows how much the right club at the right time is. Rowett also marred his copy book jumping to a rapidly sinking Stoke (I think). It really makes a difference choosing the right club.   I wonder if 3 may be a bit much to be a coincidence but having said that none are easy circumstances at all and a lot of decent to good managers have failed there so I wouldnt count that one against him. Next job for him though will be huge. 

Dunn in temporary charge, interesting

Isnt he an agent these days?  I thought he was branching into that 

edit according to his LinkedIn he runs major league sports management 

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/david-dunn-21767783

Clients include Blackpool forward Joe Nuttall; surely you can’t be both agent and manager?

Edited by Tom