BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Too loyal to those players who took us up = too cautious for me.

Has to be braver, its not as if the cautious approach is working anymore. We are losing points from winning positions.

Above all we need width.

I don’t mind being too loyal to the lads who took us up, but once we stay up this season I would expect a lot of improvements to the squad in the summer if we really are serious about kicking on, and I’d certainly be disappointed if the likes of Bell and Smallwood are still starting games next season.. 

It all comes back to the fact we just don't defend well enough, sure we need more contributing goals and we need to integrate the attacking flair we have into the team but I think we'd still ship goals if we played two banks of 5 every week.

The defence of Nyambe, xyz, Mulgrew, Williams and two defensive mids struggled in this league last time and we went down. Similar to now we could score then when we put our minds to it but we couldn't turn draws into wins and losing into draws never mind wins. We don't seem to have moved on on the pitch much at all so far although good work has been done off it.

On 24/12/2018 at 22:39, blueboy3333 said:

It is. It's also the job of a well paid manager to not need hindsight.

Ain't scouting great. 

If only it was that simple and straightforward. I don't think anyone outside maybe Norwich predicted Pukki would have the impact he did. We did well with Dack though, correct? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 47er said:

Work it out.

I can't. Myself and another poster were discussing Pukki for Norwich, then you came in with something about Brereton playing non league and hindsight being here. It didn't make any sense in the context of what was being discussed 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

At the moment, Mobray’s sides rely on the fitness of the old guard. Mulgrew, Graham, Bennett and even Conway all playing well and it can be the difference. In some ways I think Dack needs this too.

We keep replacing the team with youngsters but we need balance. Maybe after getting his fingers burned with Whittingham he’s reluctant to pay the wages for that experience, Rodwell is the nearest to that since - and he’s only 27. We also have a very young keeper in relative terms.

Given that Mowbray appears to have already given up on the play-offs I don’t expect him to change much in January but we’ll see.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:15, Bigdoggsteel said:

It wasn't possible to sign someone to replace Graham for that kind of money. He's top class 

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 21:58, blueboy3333 said:

Pukki would have cost a lot less than BB.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:32, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ain't hindsight great 

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:39, blueboy3333 said:

It is. It's also the job of a well paid manager to not need hindsight.

Ain't scouting great. 

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If only it was that simple and straightforward. I don't think anyone outside maybe Norwich predicted Pukki would have the impact he did. 

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Their manager did, and that's what we were discussing.

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Almost half way through the season you are saying we should have spent the brereton money on the second top scorer in the league. Thanks for the incisive insight captain obvious 

Above is a refresher of the conversation you've been having. Hope this helps Captain Confused.

40 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Above is a refresher of the conversation you've been having. Hope this helps Captain Confused.

Yes, as I said ain't hindsight great. Pukki was a free that has worked out incredibly well. Name me someone now we could replace Graham with for what we, apparently, paid for Brereton. 

• Backroom

I genuinely think we might be in big trouble. Performances and results are poor, but the manner of these defeats and draws - throwing points away every week in the final few minutes - is exactly what you see from teams plummeting downwards. The manager's recent comments - 'this is just where we are' - suggests an unacceptable level of complacency which gives me no confidence he can take this club forward. 

Very concerned. 

• Like 4

We aren’t getting the necessary results but we don’t seem to be performing either. An OG today, a penalty, a free kick then some rank bad defending.

Not sure where we go from here.

Based on his record in the market and recent form/selections, I just don’t see Venkys giving him cash to spend in January.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Frankly I don't think it would change much. In terms of quality our defence was near the top of League 1 standards, yet we were leaking goals regularly in that wasteland of a division. It's more of a Mowbray/coaching problem than a player problem imo. 

• Like 1

Mowbray doesn't even look bothered - witness his smiley chat with Bielsa at the end - and that attitude is reflected in so many of the spineless players - Bell, Williams, Evans and Smallwood to name just 4. Going nowhere except down with Mowbray. Time to pay up the contract and move on.

• Like 1