Sign in to follow this  
JoeHarvey

Pre-Season 2019/20

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Didn’t Mowbray say in his first summer that just playing lower league sides was not the his preferred way to do pre-season?

Ergo last summer we played Liverpool and Everton.

As much as I like the bloke surely we have learned by now that Mowbray says a lot of things.

Top 2-6 aim, get our business done early, ready made first choice players to come in, playing stronger sides in pre season yada yada yada

1 hour ago, benhben said:

Is it a conscious decision by the club to play all pre season games against lower league opposition and away from ewood or some sort cock up? 

We had liverpool and Everton at Ewood last summer. They were a good test and had a decent crowd

I think the club loses money on the home fixtures, and combined with the hassle of organising extra games and ensuring the pitch is ready 2 weeks earlier than it needs to be means we don't see many at Ewood. That doesn't bother me as such as unless we get a true glamour fixture like the Barcelona one we aren't going to get good numbers on home games. Even the Liverpool and particularly Everton ones last season weren't exactly well attended. Loads of empty seats even after the local tourists had turned up with their cameras. I imagine Rovers had to pay to persuade Liverpool to turn up or at least give them a share of the takings so doubt Rovers were left with much after that.

It's a given that most fixtures will be local(ish) away games against lower division opposition. Always has been. Don't mind 2-4 games against the Bury's or Blackpool's particularly midweek.

But we all need at least one 'curtain raiser' or big game to look forward to and whet the appetite ahead of the new season. If we get an away game at Rangers I think most people would relish that game and a trip up there. Sharpe seems to be putting his neck on the line as far as he ever does tonight with that one but I still have my doubts.

The rest are very much 'meh' fixtures, not even the novelty of a couple of new grounds to go to and 3 of them we played in the league the season before. The fact that all have taken players from us recently, or in the case of Blackpool are managed by our ex-assistant, suggests they have been arranged off the back of those deals.

Most frustrating for me is the lack of foreign match. The real curtain raiser for me was going away to Austria or wherever and watching us play a European side in a foreign ground. Fantastic. Used to look forward to it for months. For some reason we're one of the only clubs at this level to seem to want to avoid such fixtures. Presumably because those sort of games are harder to arrange than picking up the phone to the mates down the road. No good for those supporters who enjoy going though.

The Rangers game will be a cringey one I think.

Loads of lads pretending that Rangers are there "second team", singing pope songs etc.

Count me out.

4 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

The Rangers game will be a cringey one I think.

Loads of lads pretending that Rangers are there "second team", singing pope songs etc.

Count me out.

CAN'T WAIT!!:lol: