Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Call em whatever we like. They’re still ploughing £7-8m a season in where we have so called ‘supporters’ who still can’t bring themselves to pay for a ticket.

Amazing the amount of people who slaughter Venkys for apparently not spending whilst cadging comp tickets every week! 🙈🤣🤣

Its totally disingenous to say "theyre still ploughing £7-8m a season in" without reference to what happened before that. And once that is considered, such a "good deed" loses any credence. 

For a Rovers supporter to dismiss anyone who doesnt attend as not a supporter whilst being thankful to owners that have allowed our club to go through the gutter, be rinsed by agents, keep Kean for so long, then appoint Coyle a few years ago who steered us to an inevitable relegation, all the while being totally absent and disinterested far, far away, but one who havent totally pulled the plug, as if thats something to be grateful for. Its the old metaphor of being thankful that the guy who shot you took you to the hospital!

To be content that they are still here simply out of necessity I can somewhat stomach. To be vocally supportive and thankful to them and slagging off hurt supporters as collateral damage is unfathomable.

55 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

it sounds as though he's hoping for better than the Championship

Maybe he's looking to return home; I doubt he's likely to get a Prem move having looked at his stats on wiki. He does seem to tick many of our boxes and appears the sort we should be looking at, being a free agent.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its totally disingenous to say "theyre still ploughing £7-8m a season in" without reference to what happened before that. And once that is considered, such a "good deed" loses any credence. 

For a Rovers supporter to dismiss anyone who doesnt attend as not a supporter whilst being thankful to owners that have allowed our club to go through the gutter, be rinsed by agents, keep Kean for so long, then appoint Coyle a few years ago who steered us to an inevitable relegation, all the while being totally absent and disinterested far, far away, but one who havent totally pulled the plug, as if thats something to be grateful for. Its the old metaphor of being thankful that the guy who shot you took you to the hospital!

To be content that they are still here simply out of necessity I can somewhat stomach. To be vocally supportive and thankful to them and slagging off hurt supporters as collateral damage is unfathomable.

No one is beIng vocally supportive of them. But the FACT of the matter is that they do still put £7-8m (MILLION) of their own money into the club every year in spite of no obvious longstanding love for our club whilst some “Supporters” sit at home, refusing do the primary job of being a supporter - to support their club by putting their hand in their pockets to buy a ticket. In spite of them having the means and ability to do go to the match.

Often caveat *”I’m not lining Venkys pockets” - You’re not pal, they’re picking up the clubs debt every year and if we’d all turn up, pay for a ticket then our ability to trade players would be increased via income and the ffp system.

The irony of this is breathtaking. 

Edited by Paul Mani

18 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Call em whatever we like. They’re still ploughing £7-8m a season in where we have so called ‘supporters’ who still can’t bring themselves to pay for a ticket.

Amazing the amount of people who slaughter Venkys for apparently not spending whilst cadging comp tickets every week! 🙈🤣🤣

How do I get free tickets?  I'd love to know. Thanks

I never accuse Venky's of not spending but I do accuse them of lacking any real interest in the club or the fans.

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

As a thought experiment, I swapped the amounts paid for these players in accordance with their Rovers performances/goal returns:

Dack £7m

Armstrong £5m

Gallagher £1.75m

Brereton £250k

Frankly, Gally still looks like a waste out of those 4 imo.

This is a really interesting way of approaching it. My guess is that had we spent that amount on him, most fans would either be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for next year, or more likely criticise TM for not using him properly (which may or may not be valid anyway, irrespective of his price tag). You're definitely right that the other three would represent better value for money though.

As a general point, I do think that some critics of the manager can be a little blase about the Dack and Armstrong captures, who I think are Hughes-level bargains, whilst not holding back when pointing out how profligate we've been when it comes to Brereton and Gallagher. Seems to me that if we were evaluating the transfer dealings of the Souness era, you'd have to offset the brilliant signings with the Grabbis, Fergusons and Unsals. Only fair that we do the same with Mowbray too.

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

No one is beIng vocally supportive of them. But the FACT of the matter is that they do still put £7-8m (MILLION) of their own money into the club every year in spite of no obvious longstanding love for our club whilst some “Supporters” sit at home, refusing do the primary job of being a supporter - to support their club by putting their hand in their pockets to buy a ticket. In spite of them having the means and ability to do go to the match.

Often caveat *”I’m not lining Venkys pockets” - You’re not pal, they’re picking up the clubs debt every year and if we’d all turn up, pay for a ticket then our ability to trade players would be increased via income and the ffp system.

Primary job - heard it all now.

13 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Maybe he's looking to return home; I doubt he's likely to get a Prem move having looked at his stats on wiki. He does seem to tick many of our boxes and appears the sort we should be looking at, being a free agent.

If the rumours of us having a semi-decent budget are true, then perhaps it could be a possibility. Reading between the lines it seems as though Swansea are going through some belt-tightening this summer, and given they have to replace their outgoing loan stars maybe he's going because they can't afford him.

That would beg the question if we are in any better a situation, but if we are his lack of transfer fee would make him an interesting option. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Mike E said:

As a thought experiment, I swapped the amounts paid for these players in accordance with their Rovers performances/goal returns:

Dack £7m

Armstrong £5m

Gallagher £1.75m

Brereton £250k

Frankly, Gally still looks like a waste out of those 4 imo.

Dack was actually 750k, which is still a lot more than what BB is worth in my eyes.

Edited by JacknOry

17 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

And if we all boycotted maybe they would get the message and go away.

Feel another Brexiteers/remainers boycotters/nocotters argument coming on. Bout that time of year I suppose.

21 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Are you talking about anyone in particular or just making huge generalisations? 

16 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Primary job - heard it all now.

Haha it literally is the primary job of the supporter to attend matches and roar on (support) their team.

Of course there are those who cannot attend for a multitude of reasons like they cannot afford it, are working, family etc. But when you boil it all down to what a supporter is...going to the match and supporting your team is your no.1 job.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Are you talking about anyone in particular or just making huge generalisations? 

Wherever the cap fits mate. I saw a guy At the fans forum proudly announce to our manager and CEO that he was a boycotter (wore the title like a badge of honour) - then admitted that he goes to every game on complimentary tickets. SW looked like he wanted to knock him out. 

I threw up a little in my mouth.

Edited by Paul Mani

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

And if we all boycotted maybe they would get the message and go away.

You have someone lined up to buy us have you, do you actually think there are loads of rich folk, consortiums etc waiting in the wings, I don’t think so. Took us a couple of years for the Walker trust to sell us, a premier league club, only 20 odd million and a sound club.

We all know what happened, mainly due to taking advice from a certain agent, unfortunately we cant turn the clock back, but folk wishing for us to go in administration, lose 12 points and get some chancer to take us forward need to get a grip.

The serious money people don’t want a club like Rovers, hemorrhaging money every week.Being  in the championship and steadily improving isn’t as bad as you think, sometimes better the devil you know, ask Wigan, Bolton, Bury fans.

Wherever the cap fits mate. I saw a guy At the fans forum proudly announce to our manager and CEO that he was a boycotter (wore the title like a badge of honour) - then admitted that he goes to every game on complimentary tickets. SW looked like he wanted to knock him out. 

Fair play to him, if you didn't have to pay to watch it why would you. Perhaps Waggott should be listening to people like him then he might not miss his target for season tickets so badly 

I threw up a little in my mouth.

Funny that's how I will when I see people saying we should be thankful to the owners.

Sponsor
Just now, unsall said:

You have someone lined up to buy us have you, do you actually think there are loads of rich folk, consortiums etc waiting in the wings, I don’t think so. Took us a couple of years for the Walker trust to sell us, a premier league club, only 20 odd million and a sound club.

We all know what happened, mainly due to taking advice from a certain agent, unfortunately we cant turn the clock back, but folk wishing for us to go in administration, lose 12 points and get some chancer to take us forward need to get a grip.

The serious money people don’t want a club like Rovers, hemorrhaging money every week.Being  in the championship and steadily improving isn’t as bad as you think, sometimes better the devil you know, ask Wigan, Bolton, Bury fans.

Argh it’s a ridiculous argument Isn’t it. No one in their right mind would take us on. Go and ask Wigan, Bury and Bolton fans if they’d take Venkys over what they’ve suffered. They’d snap your hand off.

Haha it literally is the primary job of the supporter to attend matches and roar on (support) their team.

Of course there are those who cannot attend for a multitude of reasons like they cannot afford it, are working, family etc. But when you boil it all down to what a supporter is...going to the match and supporting your team is your no.1 job.

Job is totally the wrong word.

Edit: I wrote out a long couple of paragraphs explaining why and it ended up bringing up emotions that are still raw to this day. So decided to delete them. Its been done to death and I think you should just leave it there before stirring things up again. Accept it, some will never return until they are gone (awaits the "until we are PL again" response).  

Argh it’s a ridiculous argument Isn’t it. No one in their right mind would take us on. Go and ask Wigan, Bury and Bolton fans if they’d take Venkys over what they’ve suffered. They’d snap your hand off.

And how make clubs wouldn't snap your hand of to have Venkys. A lot more than 3 I would wager.

6 minutes ago, unsall said:

So what is the alternative that you are waiting for? That one day we might stumble on PL? 

I realise that going into admin will put us back but it will also give us a future and give us our club back. What future do we have under this lot? What are we actually doing? We are just bumbling along with no real hope of ever doing more than what we are now. We hire unambitious managers that run the club from top to bottom and even hire their own bosses. There is no direction from the owners, no nothing. They just put a few mil in each season as if to swat us away.

And they expect fans to buy into it?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Fair play to him, if you didn't have to pay to watch it why would you. Perhaps Waggott should be listening to people like him then he might not miss his target for season tickets so badly 

Funny that's how I will when I see people saying we should be thankful to the owners.

Wow, I’ve categorically said that I am not in any way in favour of Venkys or what they’ve done to our club. 

Your attitude to the ticket situation is sad. If you don’t see the problem with someone playing the martyr whilst getting in on free tickets then the cap obv does fit you sir. SW couldn’t save either of you it would seem.

FYI - As you asked. I’ve had a season ticket most years since 1993. I could’ve watched most home games for free during that time. But Iv always felt a responsibility to do my bit. To contribute. 

Edited by Paul Mani

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Edit: I wrote out a long couple of paragraphs explaining why and it ended up bringing up emotions that are still raw to this day. So decided to delete them. Its been done to death and I think you should just leave it there before stirring things up again. Accept it, some will never return until they are gone (awaits the "until we are PL again" response).  

Sound. That’s your opinion and I have mine. 

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

And how make clubs wouldn't snap your hand of to have Venkys. A lot more than 3 I would wager.

None who’ve slid into admin. Which is exactly where we’re going the day those arse holes leave. 

8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Primary function?

Your attitude to the ticket situation is sad. If you don’t see the problem with someone playing the martyr whilst getting in on free tickets then the cap obv does fit you sir. SW couldn’t save either of you it would seem.

I've never had a complimentary ticket to a sporting event it my life so you are completely wrong there. 

FYI - As you asked. I’ve had a season most years since 1993. I could’ve watched most home games for free during that time. But Iv always felt a responsibility to do my bit. To contribute. 

FYI- I didn't ask but you gave yourself a chance to get another boast in.

7 minutes ago, unsall said:

I'm not completely against you on the ownership issue but on the pitch we aren't "steadily improving" though.

A negligible increase in the points tally is being used to mask the glaring deficiencies appearing in the squad.

We finished nowhere the first season back after promotion from League 1 and we finished nowhere last season. Surely after first season consolidation you'd expect a significant improvement as a matter of course?

We didn't see that, we just saw the same disappointing level of performance as the season before which is deeply dispiriting.