BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

It’s looking like we are going to need a heck of a facelift in the close season - although Mowbray will no doubt still try to get tunes out of Gallagher and Brereton, presumably still playing both out wide.

Personally I reckon there are five players in our senior squad that we should keep and the rest need replacing, either because loans end or simply because they aren’t good enough.

There is a possibility that a different manager could breathe new life into a few others: Downing, Rothwell, Holtby, maybe even the two above but I just can’t see how anything is going to change without a change in the dugout.

552828B9-25E0-457B-B99C-671950292319.thumb.jpeg.af3b85961a325f7263cc7530b401b6c8.jpeg

Edited by Stuart

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s looking like we are going to need a heck of a facelift in the close season - although Mowbray will no doubt still try to get tunes out of Gallagher and Brereton, presumably still playing both out wide.

Personally I reckon there are five players in our senior squad that we should keep and the rest need replacing, either because loans end or simply because they aren’t good enough.

There is a possibility that a different manager could breathe new life into a few others: Downing, Rothwell, Holtby, maybe even the two above but I just can’t see how anything is going to change without a change in the dugout.

552828B9-25E0-457B-B99C-671950292319.thumb.jpeg.af3b85961a325f7263cc7530b401b6c8.jpeg

It’s hard to argue with that - if promotion is the aim. But you’d have to say that Arma would need to play on the left of a 3 up top to be successful (or up top itself) as opposed to left wing in a 4-4-2. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It’s hard to argue with that - if promotion is the aim. But you’d have to say that Arma would need to play on the left of a 3 up top to be successful (or up top itself) as opposed to left wing in a 4-4-2. 

To go 4-3-3 we need far better defenders than we have today.

I kind of see Dack as the second striker in a 4-4-1-1. Someone posted on another thread about having Brezza and Gally up top in a 4-4-2. It would be an interesting experiment for the run in.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

To go 4-3-3 we need far better defenders than we have today.

I kind of see Dack as the second striker in a 4-4-1-1. Someone posted on another thread about having Brezza and Gally up top in a 4-4-2. It would be an interesting experiment for the run in.

i think dack or armstrong  would be at their best in that role,give them a free role and tell them just to find their own space,would be deadly if you got a striker who had the intelligence to link up with them,always been a fan of a second striker who played a bit behind in the hole,beardsley and scholes were absolutely deadly at it

You get the best out of Armstrong by playing him upfront. If you're playing 4-4-2 (revolutionary in 20/20) then he's upfront with Dack. Could work. 

I think he's much less effective playing as one of the wide forwards in a 3, but he can play there. 

We'll be lucky to keep hold of Dack, Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis in the transfer window. It won't have gone unnoticed that they're by far our best players and I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Venky's demand some book balancing after the Gallagher / Brereton debacle. 

Either way, Mowbray isn't the man for the job. 

It is going to be a summer of balancing the books.

With our biggest asset (Dack) not being sellable because of his injury, it will probably mean one or two off Lenihan, Travis or Arma having to be sold to help balance the books.

After that we are looking at freebies, loans and signing up and coming players from lower leagues.

We don't have the money for a major facelift for the squad.

1 minute ago, Kamy100 said:

With our biggest asset (Dack) not being sellable because of his injury, it will probably mean one or two off Lenihan, Travis or Arma having to be sold to help balance the books.

After that we are looking at freebies, loans and signing up and coming players from lower leagues.

Totally agree with this.  There will have to be departures to balance the books and only Lenihan, Travis, Armstrong and possibly Nyambe are going to attract bids.  One can easily see Fisher or Hilton being used as the back-up 'keeper whilst the likes of Wharton - unless he is sold - Magloire, Carter, Thompson, Vale, Butterworth become part of the senior squad in terms of filling the bench on matchdays or graduating to the starting eleven.  

16 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Exactly this.

Cheston in charge of transfer policy this time. Mowbray fucked up his turn last summer.

32 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

The 'assets' you mention are decent Championship players but nowhere near good enough for the PL. I can't see many, if any Championship clubs spending much money on new players as the majority are in the same position as us. Mowbray has to forget any notions he has about offering deals to any out of contract players and focus on bringing some of the youngsters in. It's going to be a few seasons of mid table being a success if things stay the same way.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Isn't Dack going to back before the start of next season?

Surely we have to use this scouting network we set up overseas this summer to find players after investing money, time and employing more staff in this department? 

I wouldn't be selling Armstrong at all cost. He is the striker scoring the goals and he should be the 1st name on the team sheet.

And I agree with @Parsonblue about bringing through our academy/under 23's players like Carter, Thompson, Hilton, Vale and Butterworth into the 1st team squad is a must now.  

Just now, arbitro said:

Mowbray has to forget any notions he has about offering deals to any out of contract players

I think we have to agree giving any deals to these out of contract players apart from possible Downing who has been good overall this season but the last 3 games he hasnt been good enough

• Moderation Lead

Frustrating that it is observed that we have no money, but no observation of why. 
For anyone that is in the dark, allow me to shed some light- we spent £12 Million on Gallagher and Brereton and neither of whom have delivered.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

I’m expecting relegation next season then. Do they really want fans to attend when there is absolutely nothing to look forward to? THIS squad can’t even beat Barnsley, just how bad can it get?

What exactly is the point of Venkys if the books have to balance ticket and TV income against running costs and wages?

Ten years of these absolute bastards! :angry: 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The 'assets' you mention are decent Championship players but nowhere near good enough for the PL. I can't see many, if any Championship clubs spending much money on new players as the majority are in the same position as us. Mowbray has to forget any notions he has about offering deals to any out of contract players and focus on bringing some of the youngsters in. It's going to be a few seasons of mid table being a success if things stay the same way.

Absolutely boracic lint and yet an extra months wages handed out to players who don’t play!

• Like 2

And that is the biggest indictment of Mowbray's failure.  He wanted 4 more windows to challenge top 6 whilst signing players to develop as assets.  The fact we need to sell our academy developed players to pay for his transfer mistakes is damning.  He's been unlucky with Dack but that's football.  Armstrong now is the only success.   The FFP rolling cycle of signing players to peak and achieve promotion in year 3 has failed.  Result - you have a fire sale for a year - regress and then rebuild again.....if the owners will fund that model for another cycle.  

We have not been in the top 6 - we have challenged the top 10.  We have an unbalanced squad - weak at both ends of the pitch and desperately lacking natural width.   Time for a new man to take the helm for the next attempt - if there is one!  Mowbray's time is up.

The Club's on a  knife edge now.  Future ST sales will fall off a cliff given the current climate and performances.  If next season is to be one of sales and keep up on a shoe string, then the club will have a hell of a job getting people back through the turnstiles when possible.

• Like 2

And this is exactly what I feared and why I wanted him sacked last season. If this happens it we be a repeat of 16/17 all over again.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Absolutely boracic lint and yet an extra months wages handed out to players who don’t play!

And Waggott is complicit in this farce too. He is (allegedly) in charge and should have said no when Mowbray wanted to splurge money on players who simply will not contribute. The absolute brass neck of them both when the club are going round with the begging bowl to season ticket holders.

• Like 6

Look at the hole in the finances this pandemic will have created and that's when we were sailing close to the wind anyway.  Not sure just why anyone expects any transfer activity inwards at all there'll be a shortfall of about 3 million to cover from this lack of income.

Even if they granted him the same budget as last season which would be generous given the circumstances any room in that will be making up this seasons losses. To carry on as we are it will need them writing off similar money to the crazier days of Shagnew etc.

I'm with one or two others though and will say whatever the circumstances i'll find it very very hard to stomach if he hands out new deals to the likes of Samuel, Smallwood etc.

2 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Relegation battle it is then.

2 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

It will be Armstrong , there was already talk of Newcastle and Crystal Palace (I think) taking an interest pre lockdown , A bid in excess of £10m will have Venkys pushing the sell button