Jump to content
Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Bloody hell, we just shouldn't be looking at centre mids at all. It's so depressing we are.

We only have one consistently good one. Of course we should be looking at CMs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Could do worse than Leighton Baines if Cunningham isn't coming back for some reason.  Im sure stopping in the north west would help.

Edited by Sparks Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Could do worse than Leighton Baines if Cunningham isn't coming back for some reason.  Im sure stopping in the north west would help.

North west or no, some lower prem/parachute team will still be willing to throw the best part of 40k a week at Leighton Baines.

Wont happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We only have one consistently good one. Of course we should be looking at CMs. 

We have way too much of our squad concentrated there. We have no defence to speak of. We have no goalies at all. We have nobody who can actually play this wide striker thing TM insists on well (or if we do, putting him there leaves us with zero consistently good strikers). We have no real budget.

We shouldn't be looking at CMs unless we can clear some out. Which we should try to do if at all possible. Even if we shifted Johnson I'd still see CM as the last position for us to look to.

One consistently good CM is more than most areas of the pitch have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Could do worse than Leighton Baines if Cunningham isn't coming back for some reason.  Im sure stopping in the north west would help.

Very good in his day but no thanks for the wages and age in a position where you are likely to face pace and power. Someone younger and with hunger desired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

The first players through the door should be a first team keeper and a CB considering we lost Walton and Tosin.

Agreed but we do need a tough bastard in the middle of the park, to replace the waste of a wage that is B.Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Different style of player entirely. Regarding Okocha and Le Tissier a pal of mine had been a top youth player and later a scout for City. He had a saying - " A team of Bobby Charlton's wouldn't win anything because they'd never have the ball ". Teams needed ball winners just as much as they need flair players.

As was proved by the documentary about the 1966 World Cup winners, repeated on BBC2 last night.

It also had a lovely little - non-footballing - story about John Connelly on that Saturday evening in 1966!🤣 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Agreed but we do need a tough bastard in the middle of the park, to replace the waste of a wage that is B.Johnson.

At the start of the season, I actually thought Bradley Johnson will be that "tough bastard" for us this season, but sadly no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Agreed but we do need a tough bastard in the middle of the park, to replace the waste of a wage that is B.Johnson.

Travis does this already. I think we need more ability in CM to play next to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are targeting CM yet again then it's a scary insight into the managers muddled thinking. "I know what's wrong"   well that ain't it my old son.

I don't think anyone would argue if they brought a good one in and maybe got rid of Johnson and possibly even Holtby. If any signings are made there though it's likely to be just another body and yet another option to rotate around. Groundhog day in other words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transfer window?...

What ambition,expectations do Venkys have for the Club next Season?

How much do we have to spend/do they trust Mowbray with their coin?

Do they give a toss anymore?

 

I hear a song playing 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us how we cover the several million pound hole through loss of income from this season ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

All this talk of legends... and nobody has mentioned Shabani Nonda.

Guess no one saw him coming over the hill....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us how we cover the several million pound hole through loss of income from this season ?

 

Many clubs will have to calculate this and why transfer fees this close season will be nowhere near what some people on here are estimating.

There is no way our players will fetch what some on here are dreaming off. Getting the high earners off the wage bill will be a priority just to limit this blackhole.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Summer 2019 - Sold Raya, no replacement comes in.

Summer 2020 - Hopes Raya gets promoted or sold (again), so we can get a replacement in. The world of Blackburn Rovers ladies and gents.

 

Something i touched on before this kind of thing could become the norm here now. Sell academy graduate's for a couple of million after they've established themselves in the first team because you need that regular cash injection. Then hope to benefit down the line from another transfer after another club has paid them better wages for more games at a better standard.

Crafty way of dealing with a conveyor belt of young talent whilst you prop your own squad up with cheapo's and freebies. And of course in the middle are the % men.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Something i touched on before this kind of thing could become the norm here now. Sell academy graduate's for a couple of million after they've established themselves in the first team because you need that regular cash injection. Then hope to benefit down the line from another transfer after another club has paid them better wages for more games at a better standard.

Crafty way of dealing with a conveyor belt of young talent whilst you prop your own squad up with cheapo's and freebies. And of course in the middle are the % men.

A work colleague of mine supports Barnsley and this is what they do.

He states that no one will pay mega bucks for a Barnsley player, so they sell with add ons.

John Stones went to Everton for £3 million then was sold to Man City, the add on payments to Barnsley were over double what they sold him for.

 

 

Edited by Dave S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave S said:

A work colleague of mine supports Barnsley and this is what they do.

He states that no one will pay mega bucks for a Barnsley player, so they sell with add ons.

John Stones went to Everton for £3 million then was sold to Man City, the add on payment to Barnsley was over double what they sold him for.

 

 

Not a bad system if you can churn out enough talent but it's not good if it comes at the price of hindering the first team.  The whole idea should be to build a side for promotion but i fear water treading and that kind of system suits some people better.

I'd much prefer to harness the talent as long as possible to try and push us forwards then try and keep the sales to one big one every 2 or 3 years. As you say though with Barnsley i think we will be similar now more of a feeder club.

Not sure if they are backed by billionaires though ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomphil said:

If they are targeting CM yet again then it's a scary insight into the managers muddled thinking. "I know what's wrong"   well that ain't it my old son.

I don't think anyone would argue if they brought a good one in and maybe got rid of Johnson and possibly even Holtby. If any signings are made there though it's likely to be just another body and yet another option to rotate around. Groundhog day in other words.

Not really mate. Players are signed as and when they become available not in order of importance. We’re not playing Fifa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Summer 2019 - Sold Raya, no replacement comes in.

Summer 2020 - Hope Raya gets promoted or sold (again), so we can get a replacement in. The world of Blackburn Rovers ladies and gents.

 

So we do have a sell on fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Probably rollocks, but Tony’s dropped a big one either way: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12222563/arsenal-city-summer-transfer-brentford-raya/

If that is true, I am not the type of guy to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO. Not you specifically but the likes of Sparks that has never rated Raya. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

Not a bad system if you can churn out enough talent but it's not good if it comes at the price of hindering the first team.  The whole idea should be to build a side for promotion but i fear water treading and that kind of system suits some people better.

I'd much prefer to harness the talent as long as possible to try and push us forwards then try and keep the sales to one big one every 2 or 3 years. As you say though with Barnsley i think we will be similar now more of a feeder club.

Not sure if they are backed by billionaires though ?

With Barnsley they don't have much debt but the owners won't spend. 

Last season they sold both centre backs and were nearly relegated.

Liam Lindsey to Stoke for £2 miilion plus and Ethan Pinnock to Brentford who cost £500k for £3 million.

Similar in a way to when Rovers sold Duffy and Hanley in the same closed season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave S said:

A work colleague of mine supports Barnsley and this is what they do.

He states that no one will pay mega bucks for a Barnsley player, so they sell with add ons.

John Stones went to Everton for £3 million then was sold to Man City, the add on payments to Barnsley were over double what they sold him for.

 

 

That’s exactly where we are as a club now. Unless we can get right into that top 4 teams when PL teams will begin looking....as they have with Brentford.

Raya is going to benefit from this. Not because he’s any better than he was when he left but because his profile is raised. Imo the link to Arsenal is likely from his agent to get him an improved deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Not really mate. Players are signed as and when they become available not in order of importance. We’re not playing Fifa.

Which is flawed in itself even you can see that but that's the world we live in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.