BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

I think Newcastle will go for him, as they made an attempt last summer.

Carr is about the worst rb in the prem so it would not suprise me to see them have a go for Lucas Neill. If West Ham are interested too then

1. We will benefit financially from other bidders.

but

2. If the cost becomes too high then some dodgy deal might be struck by one of the bidding clubs <_< to entice him to wait until the summer when he can go for nothing. And if he is to go definitely then that would probably be the worst case scenario as his agent could influence him to easily pull a sicky to stay injury free and we would not have been able to replace him.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in the Star (yes, that organ of truth) that there are in fact 8 teams after him:

West Ham; liddypewl;Newcassel;Villa;Real Madrid!;Chelsea;Marseille;

That's only 7, presumably the other one is Barca.

He's going to go, surely. I'm not exactly going to be bawling into my hanky when it does happen, I have to be honest.

A more important question is, is West Sussex Rover actually Roverdrake? I remember him opening a new account and me being the one to suss him. WSR really does remind me of him a lot...

We have already deduced and more or less had confirmed by the man himself that WSR is one and the same as RTM. Are you now saying that both these characters are actually Roverdrake?

Edited by Fife Rover

It's in the Star (yes, that organ of truth) that there are in fact 8 teams after him:

West Ham; liddypewl;Newcassel;Villa;Real Madrid!;Chelsea;Marseille;

That's only 7, presumably the other one is Barca.

He's going to go, surely. I'm not exactly going to be bawling into my hanky when it does happen, I have to be honest.

What do these teams see that we don't? Useless they put his unwanted aggression down to Hughes? Going to Villa or Newcastle wouldn't really be a step forward, the others maybe.Can yu imagine Neill, rugby tackling attackers like he did yesterday in the Champions league?

I think that is the problem he will have. At a club like ours (and I hate to use that language as it reminds me of when we had the Babel fish playing for us) he can afford to make those sorts of mistakes. We know that we won't have the perfect player and he is usually a very good defender and so is still one of our better players. At a top club, mistakes like the one that he made yesterday (which he will make 5-6 times a season) will see him dropped.

Can yu imagine Neill, rugby tackling attackers like he did yesterday in the Champions league?

This is a good point and one which a sports writer (can't remember who?) commented on a few weeks back. He said that whilst Neil is a good defender what with his aggressiveness and the referees strictness he would surely spend more time in the stands than on the pitch if he does move abroad.

We have already deduced and more or less had confirmed by the man himself that WSR is one and the same as RTM. Are you now saying that both these characters are actually Roverdrake?

What a load of tosh! Yes i was Rover The Moon however someone else had that username so admin changed it to West Sussex Rover for me!!

As for Roverdrake, i have no idea who he/she is? Is he/she from Sussex? Do they have the same network address...? I dont think so... :wstu:

What a load of tosh! Yes i was Rover The Moon however someone else had that username so admin changed it to West Sussex Rover for me!!

As for Roverdrake, i have no idea who he/she is? Is he/she from Sussex? Do they have the same network address...? I dont think so... :wstu:

Im wiv yu booo bos bat id wy I askred

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Why are you having a go at Fife Rover. I was the one that suggested it.

I noticed a similarity between yourself and Roverdrake; you're both very annoying. Slightly tenuous, but I thought you could be the same person.

I thought he basically gave himself the 2nd half off with his rather rash play in the first, which resulted in him being one away from the red. Overall, Ive thought he has been rather below par during the last few games, and thats basically due to the exceptional standards he has set himself.

I thought Lucas played badly today - struggled to cope with Cotterill running at him and got very stupidly booked when he gave away a free kick in a dangerous position. That was liability Neill in the first half.

The second half was an improvement because he toned down his play, although he did throw himself in at one point after an hour or so when he didn't really need to. With less pressure on us from the Wigan team he was always going to look better, but it was a relief. It was also a lovely ball to Pedersen who timed his run to perfection for the second goal.

I think we do have to take into consideration his position. Left back is not natural for him. He does look stronger than Micky Gray but I think we have to expect one or two deficiencies from him when he is playing on an unfamiliar side of the pitch with unfamiliar players around him.

Edited by bellamy11

I thought Lucas played badly today - struggled to cope with Cotterill running at him and got very stupidly booked when he gave away a free kick in a dangerous position. That was liability Neill in the first half.

The second half was an improvement because he toned down his play, although he did throw himself in at one point after an hour or so when he didn't really need to. With less pressure on us from the Wigan team he was always going to look better, but it was a relief. It was also a lovely ball to Pedersen who timed his run to perfection for the second goal.

I think we do have to take into consideration his position. Left back is not natural for him. He does look stronger than Micky Gray but I think we have to expect one or two deficiencies from him when he is playing on an unfamiliar side of the pitch with unfamiliar players around him.

agree with that buddy all the way.

neill has been asked to do a job for the team and even though the performance against wigan wasn't his best, we won the game and it's probably his last game for rovers anyway.

Don't know about the position, Bellamy, he's played there for quite some time now. Granted he is a right footer, but I don't really think you can blame his faults on being out of position - it's a bit easy on him.

I still think he's an excellent defender though, and very little would please me more than to see him sign an extension in January.

Just a thought on our attractive defender. He should become more attractive seeing as he is suspended for the FA Cup game this weekend with Everton which would eliminate the possibility of him being cup-tied.

Yeah its sad reality that we may have seen (or heard on Radio Rovers) his last game for Rovers. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Been chatting to Lucas this morning.

Some interesting snippets

He laughed at the prospect of West Ham - " No way mate"

He hasnt been offered a contract since January 2006 and was offered the same money over a longer deal.

He personally doesn't mind being booed but the rest of the team do and it affects them

He doesn't think we should sign Dunny cos he's not fit and easily picks up injuries

Laughed at the Damien Duff/Mytton Fold story

Has no ideaif he's staying or leaving but says it looks like he could be staying till May

Also has no idea if he's starting or is captain today

Says the Board have told him they will not pay silly money and wont even negotiate with his agent

Been chatting to Lucas this morning.

Some interesting snippets

He laughed at the prospect of West Ham - " No way mate"

He hasnt been offered a contract since January 2006 and was offered the same money over a longer deal.

He personally doesn't mind being booed but the rest of the team do and it affects them

He doesn't think we should sign Dunny cos he's not fit and easily picks up injuries

Laughed at the Damien Duff/Mytton Fold story

Has no ideaif he's staying or leaving but says it looks like he could be staying till May

Also has no idea if he's starting or is captain today

Says the Board have told him they will not pay silly money and wont even negotiate with his agent

do you know Neill well brownie?

find it a bit odd that Rovers haven't offered him a new contract when they've told everyone about several contract offers, even his agent has commented that Neill have rejected several contract offers (hasn't he?)

fair enough - understand why he doesn't want a move to West Ham, the lad is not stupid! :)

edit: cheers for the post btw!

Edited by pks1984

I was suprised so I asked him about three times but he was adamant that they haven't offered him more money and nothing new in a year.

He said the stories about contract offers are not true and the truth will come out later.

Talking to him you could understand why he was after a move, he doesn't like the Board one bit.

Either he or the Club are telling porkies on that one then. As I recall it was clearly reported in the summer in the aftermath of the World Cup that at least one new deal had been put to him.

IF (and personally I don't believe it) that was the case he might have a right to feel slightly aggrieved. Of course it depends what "the same money" is.

If for the sake of argument he was on 30k p.w. already I don't think the Club would have anywhere else to go with that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.