BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 - 0 Crystal Palace

The biggest plus point for me (other than the three points) was the performance of Jon Stead. Easily his best since coming to the club. His touch and general link up play was excellent, whilst his workrate showed that we do not need to rely on the limited talents of Dickov. I agree with Scotty (again ohmy.gif ), Stead deserved the man of the match.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promise I was only drinking coffee but I'm sure in the second half I saw Matteo caught out going forward, somebody losing the ball and then MATTEO OUTPACING THE PALACE PLAYER! ohmy.gif

no your eyes were not deceiving you, Matteo did go past a player with his pace and cross the ball in. amazing!!

What an absolutely fantastic result! We are climbing particularly as those around us fail. We have a game in hand and sit five points off city who are themselves only two points off 8th.

While it is far too optimistic to say we will finish higher than we are now given that gap we should certainly expecting to be able to hold our position. It is also extremely gratifying, if a little petty, that we are currently above both Brum and the Barcodes.

Who is getting genuinely excited about next season? I know I am.

I've been saying Matteo is underrated, whilst pedersen is overrated, for a long time now. ohmy.gif

Matteo, defensively is excellent [and that's what we needed].

As for pedersen, yes he's scored some great goals and shows good skills with a dead ball. His all round game though, is well below par. He can't beat a man and he's dead slow. Gives the ball away a lot as well.

I'm sure plenty will disagree with me?

It's time people stopped jumping on players backs if they have a poor start to a career.

Matteo came, started slowly and adopted the 'slug' tag.

Last night I thought he had his best game yet, in fact he was excellent.

Fans should learn to give players time before jumping in with two feet to slag them off.

I also thought Emerton had a good game, if Reid's wasn't shaped like a ten bob piece, that cross would have been one of the assists of the season.

Stead has done more than enough to cement his place in the club's future for me. Looked a class act last night.

i've not managed to get to a game for quite a while now, so it's very encouraging to hear all the good things said about stead.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure he had it in him, but I hope with a full pre season ( and maybe a lot of weights to bulk up) we could have a very good player on our hands!

Cheers for all the reports

People also forget that Dom was not brought in to be a left back, we had Gray and Gresko at the time. He was brought in to provide cover in the center. It would be interesting to see him moved there if Todd is out for a bit.

Top performance, well worth the journey..

I thought tonights team when savage is fit is our strongest...

Did you notice Stead did not give away one free kick? Dickov would have been at least 6!

Stead's movement was first class just lacks a bit of confidence in front of goal..

Emerton for the duck waddle of Thommo much better also..

Reid's improving....

And the support last 20 mins was great considering the attendence..

Bring on next season

no your eyes were not deceiving you, Matteo did go past a player with his pace and cross the ball in. amazing!!

Not only cross it, he even met a cross (and nearly scored) - I think it came after a corner was cleared and returned, so he was forward for that but still - AND earlier he was off side (Matteo offbloodyside bet he brags about that for the rest of the season at training) getting down the wing.

As plenty of folk have said, another fine team performance (that's most of em since Hughes took over) and this theme of entertaining home games continues - Southampton, Palace.

I promise I was only drinking coffee but I'm sure in the second half I saw Matteo caught out going forward, somebody losing the ball and then MATTEO OUTPACING THE PALACE PLAYER! ohmy.gif

Also in the first half apparantly Matteo flicked it over someone's head to Pedersen. I thought it had deflected off a Palace player but my brother assures me that he meant it as a showboat biggrin.gif

Agree with just about everything everyone's said.

Frankly I thought we were safe on 36 points. On 39 even with other sides to play each other we're not quite mathematically safe (are we?) but are firmly into "if we go down I'll show my **** at the top of the townhall steps" territory. smile.gif

Given the significance to Palace I was amazed at how open and freeflowing last night's game was. I thought they looked a much better proposition than either Norwich or Saints before them but lacked any sort of cutting edge. (Can't think who that sounds like)

Special mentions: Matteo - can't quite agree with Brownie that the criticism he's had this year has been unwarranted - he's played most of the season like he's had his boots tied together. However since coming in for NEJ six games or so ago he's looked a totally different player and credit to him for that.

Todd: Great performance and character in all the circumstances. Proper Captain's stuff.

Reid: Getting better and better. Along with Stead my man of the match last night and indeed for the last umpteen games. Shame that his finishing wasn't steadier on a couple of occasions. The end of the season will come too soon for him the form he's in. The hub of the team at present.

Stead: Fantastic performance in terms of holding the ball up and all round play. Runs his socks off just like Dickov but gives us so many more options.

But (and it's a big but) for a striker, he should have found the back of the net. If he can rediscover his scoring touch and maintain that performance level he'll be some player.

Very enjoyable stuff. Again. Another home win. Again.

Who knows John Williams will have to amend his normal doom laden "survival is the aim" message for next season's season ticket package if we carry on like this! ohmy.gifsmile.gifrover.gif

Agree with that Rev, but my point wasn that players are too easily written off by our fans.

Matteo has had a great career at Liverpool and Leeds yet he was deemed a huge flop a few months after his debut.

Also thought Lucas had a quality game again last night, his chest back to Friedel under pressure was class.

His over-lapping was also top drawer.

As for pedersen, yes he's scored some great goals and shows good skills with a dead ball. His all round game though, is well below par. He can't beat a man and he's dead slow. Gives the ball away a lot as well.

When you look for faults, you will find them.

Stead - profligate and has an awful goal scoring record this season

Emerton - rarely produces an end product

Tugay - slow and has an invisible friend

And so on...

Souness warned that MGP was a completely different player to Duff and he's been proved right. If anything he's more of a Freddy Ljungberg type - doesn't do much dribbling but supports the forwards well. There is a bit of improvement in his game required before he can consider himself as good as Ljungberg, though.

When you look for faults, you will find them.

Stead - profligate and has an awful goal scoring record this season

Emerton - rarely produces an end product

Tugay - slow and has an invisible friend

And so on...

Souness warned that MGP was a completely different player to Duff and he's been proved right. If anything he's more of a Freddy Ljungberg type - doesn't do much dribbling but supports the forwards well. There is a bit of improvement in his game required before he can consider himself as good as Ljungberg, though.

Are you listening MGP?

I'd have to agree with you there. But as long as he keeps scoring goals, then I won't be too bothered.

I've been saying Matteo is underrated, whilst pedersen is overrated, for a long time now. ohmy.gif

Matteo, defensively is excellent [and that's what we needed].

I think your assessment of Pedersen is harsh Den.

He's won us numerous points with crucial goals/moments of inspiration this season.

Yes his all round play could sometimes be better. But he's one of those players that currently you daren't leave out or take off because he's always likely to win you the game with a flash of inspiration.

He is only young and I'm sure his contribution over 90 minutes will improve as he gets older.

Was thinking about this the other day. Whilst he is nowhere near as good a player (yet) I bet his goals return compares quite favourably to Duff. thumbs-up.gif

Matteo, defensively  is excellent  [and that's what we needed].

I think your assessment of Pedersen is harsh Den.

He's won us numerous points with crucial goals/moments of inspiration this season.

Yes his all round play could sometimes be better. But he's one of those players that currently you daren't leave out or take off because he's always likely to win you the game with a flash of inspiration.

He is only young and I'm sure his contribution over 90 minutes will improve as he gets older.

Was thinking about this the other day. Whilst he is nowhere near as good a player (yet) I bet his goals return compares quite favourably to Duff. thumbs-up.gif

Of course, if he continues to score goals he will keep his place next season.

If however the goals dry up in the second season, as they sometimes do, especially playing out wide, then IMO he wont have the game to keep him in the side. Would love to be wrong.

Anyway, it's no time to be complaining. I've not felt as happy about rovers for a long time. We can turn up on Saturday not worrying about our, or anyone else's results. Roll on the summer and team strengthening. thumbs-up.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.