BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stead Completes Sunderland Move

Stead would be on bigger wages and would bring a higher fee.

323471[/snapback]

Wouldn't he be on less than jansen was on? not forgetting he was touted as "one for the future" and someone who wouldn't have an impact this season, i can't imagine him being given a high salary, must have been similar to gally.

Now on the other hand has probally doubled his wage packet and goal bonus!

We needed the money, it's a sad situation! sad.gif

edit: Might frame my stead shirt!

323480[/snapback]

Well, apparently Matty is on a reduced contract based on pay as you play. So no, I don't think Matt will be on more than Stead.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, apparently Matty is on a reduced contract based on pay as you play. So no, I don't think Matt will be on more than Stead.

323505[/snapback]

Yep so we are told, i meant last season though. So he would have been on his large contract. It's basically like getting rid of jano as if we don't play him he doesn't get paid!

323505[/snapback]

Yep so we are told, i meant last season though. So he would have been on his large contract. It's basically like getting rid of jano as if we don't play him he doesn't get paid!

323508[/snapback]

Nice lad who was a panic buy that got plenty of luck in front of goal but who used it all up in the first season (thank goodness). But its plain as a pikestaff that Stead will never be a top striker in the Prem. So dont be all maudlin ya big soft gits ........we've got 1.8 million for a 3rd / 4th choice benchman. rover.gif

Nice lad who was a panic buy that got plenty of luck in front of goal but who used it all up in the first season (thank goodness).  But its plain as a pikestaff that Stead will never be a top striker in the Prem.  So dont be all maudlin ya big soft gits ........we've got 1.8 million for a 3rd / 4th choice benchman. rover.gif

323510[/snapback]

Smithy, here's one to file away...........

Another way to look at it:

Put yourself in a mackem fans shoes. Would you be happy to see the club signing a striker who scored 2 goals last season being brought in to hopefully score the goals to keep your team in the prem, first season back? The answer has to be "no".

If that's the case, what's the argument to keep him here?

I must say. Kevin Davies' record for Rovers looks impressive compared to Steadiniho.

Stead- 34games 2 goas

Davies- 21 games 1 goal

323544[/snapback]

Selective stead stats there! You missed the 13games and 6 goals in 03/04!

Edited by modes98

1 bad season and thats it????? Surely Grabbi got given more of a chance than Steady and to be fair it aint like our midfield put them on a plate for him, in fact he probably did well to get 2 goals! A player who i was proud to see in a tinykit.gif and always tried hard! I really can see this happening next season>>>>Rovers 2 S'Land 3 (stead hat-trick) but I guess 1.8m is 1.8m so bring on Benni please Mr. Hughes thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

Nice lad who was a panic buy that got plenty of luck in front of goal but who used it all up in the first season (thank goodness). But its plain as a pikestaff that Stead will never be a top striker in the Prem. So dont be all maudlin ya big soft gits ........we've got 1.8 million for a 3rd / 4th choice benchman. rover.gif

323510[/snapback]

Agreed.

I don't think stead posseses any real quality and seemed to be in the right place at the right time an awful lot during his first few months.

Cheers steady tinykit.gif

seemed to be in the right place at the right time an awful lot during his first few months.

323554[/snapback]

Isn't that the whole point with strikers. They are where they need to be when it counts? Its no use them being on the edge of the 6 yard box and being marked by 4 players when if you take a step left your free! Point being Good Strikers make goals where they shouldn't be making goals.

Stead didn't do this last season in his massive 19 starts! But in the first season he did!

As one mr souness said he is amazingly 'good technique wise'

Obviously the problem with stead was his instant success. If he had done nothing for us in the first season...granted we would be in the championship now but he wouldn't have been sold as he wouldn't have been worth the refund we got!

edit: The1mattjansen take the / out of your top

rolleyes.gif
Edited by modes98

I have to say that I'm a little dissapointed to see Stead leave. Especially if Cole does come back as the two of them seemed to work well together.

However, it really depends on who we get in doesn't it. If we sign a couple of class strikers then it'll be a case of Stead who? If we don't sign anyone then we're buggered really aren't we.

Cant say Im too upset, I questioned the move when he signed due to lack of proven quality, however I was proved worng over a 6 month period where Stead became a legend which I will be eternally greatful for, but proven quality does it all the time every season, not over 6 months in a poor team to keep them up. Stead didn't make the grade last season sadly and was sold by a guy who isn't affraid of big decisions. I wish Stead all the best but he is not Premiership quality and I would love to be absoloutly wrong about this like many other Rovers fans but I'll eat my cat if he scores 10 prem goals next season.

Put yourself in a mackem fans shoes. Would you be happy to see the club signing a striker who scored 2 goals last season being brought in to hopefully score the goals to keep your team in the prem, first season back? The answer has to be "no".

323537[/snapback]

Ah yes, that old chestnut den. Exactly the question that I've asked on a couple of occasions already - funny that the Stead fans didn't answer then either.

I'm pretty sure that if Hughes had just signed him then there would be general up roar on this board questioning Hughes' sanity. You'd have thought we'd just sold Shearer or something not a striker who scored twice last season.

323537[/snapback]

Ah yes, that old chestnut den. Exactly the question that I've asked on a couple of occasions already - funny that the Stead fans didn't answer then either.

I'm pretty sure that if Hughes had just signed him then there would be general up roar on this board questioning Hughes' sanity. You'd have thought we'd just sold Shearer or something not a striker who scored twice last season.

323584[/snapback]

Just had a little browse round the Sunderland Forum and generally they seem as pleased as punch to get him. You watch, if he plays with a partner up front he will bang them in. I reckon he will bag at least 12 goals next year.

Good luck Jonney Stead thumbs-up.gif

Good luck Jonney Stead  thumbs-up.gif

323585[/snapback]

Agreed. In fact I hope that he is the leading scorer in Sunderlands failed fight against relegation! So long as none of his goals take a single point off us.

He's gone now to play with one of our bottom half Prem rivals..... lets cut the crap and get a sense of perspective about the situation eh? tinykit.gif

Bye Jon. You tried but you just weren't good enough.

A superb piece of business by Sparky to get £ 1.8 mill for an overrated striker whilst his reputation was still more or less intact.

Gutted that we are so desperate for cash we had to sell Stead (Savage buy is even more annoying now)!

I'm sure stead will do well and I wish him all the best, but if he saves sunderland at the price of Blackburn then........ best not get to far ahead, we will deal with that situation if and when it arises.

Well the new manager certainly has balls.... we had the worst attack in the premiership before the stead sale - now we have old boy Dickov and unproven kids..... 2 months and counting.....

03/04 Stead Saves Rovers

04/05 Hughes Saves Rovers

I know which one was a more enjoyable to watch.......

Seeya Steadinho. Thanks for last season.

323604[/snapback]

Yet he played him over Gally, Jansen, Johnson, Derbyshire....

Hughes needs cash, thats why he's selling Stead.... end of story.

323633[/snapback]

Opps wrong quote, sorry was intended for Tony Diamond Inc. I really should preview my posts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.