BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Many Have You Then?

When did you start watching Rovers ?  

358 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start watching Rovers ?

• Pre 1950
    • 1950 - 1954
    • 1955 - 1959
    • 1960 - 1964
    • 1965 - 1969
    • 1970 - 1974
    • 1975 - 1979
    • 1980 - 1984
    • 1985 - 1989
    • 1990 - 1994
    • 1995 - 1999
    • 2000 - 2004
    • Since Grobby were a twinkle in his daddy's eye

This poll is closed to new votes

My first game was Swindon Town at Ewood on the 26th March 1994 when I was 5 years old. The game finished 3 - 1 to the Rovers. Shearer got two and Sherwood got the other. Jan-Aage Fjortoft scored for Swindon. I only remember Shearer's second goal from the game a shot from outside the box infront of the Darwen End. So that makes it 12 years of following the Rovers and watching for 11 of them. And even though sometimes its depressing I'll never stop watching the boys in blue and white. tinykit.gif

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around 1990ish I started supporting them properly, after a mate at school got me into going to the games. My Dad has been a supporter since he was a kid, so have always followed the team though purely by default. About 1993 got my first season ticket. Didn't get a season ticket last season though, as my Job kept me from quite a lot of games the season before mad.gif

Have to consult Mr. Jackman's book but earliest memory is of a 3-0 home defeat against Rotherham (late 70's and I'm sure the referee was a notorious one called McNally).

Other memories were of Howard Kendall breaking the net with a penalty at the Blackburn End, beating Coventry in the 4th round of the FA Cup when they had their infamous brown strip on, watching us lose in the cup at Anfield when John Butcher had a blinder and a certain Mr. K.Dalglish scored the winner and invading the pitch at home to Bury when we'd won promotion from the 3rd Div.

Happy days.

That would make a total of about 27 years of being a Rovers fan.

.........and invading the pitch at home to Bury when we'd won promotion from the 3rd Div.

326565[/snapback]

The pitch was swamped when we played them away - that was when we clinched promotion - did you mean away?

Looking in the Jackman "bible" I note the attendance at Gigg Lane was 13,369 and with 10,000+ Rovers fans (one of our best ever away followings) the place was absolutely rocking. We basically had the whole ground.

The pitch was swamped when we played them away - that was when we clinched promotion - did you mean away?

Looking in the Jackman "bible" I note the attendance at Gigg Lane was 13,369 and with 10,000+ Rovers fans (one of our best ever away followings) the place was absolutely rocking. We basically had the whole ground.

326591[/snapback]

CLB, I was only a wee boy so didn't get to the away game because it was a night match and my dad wouldn't take me.

I mean the home game that we lost (last game of the season). I can still remember the big guy Steve Johnson scoring for Bury that day and I also remember the players spraying us with champagne from the Enclosure stand when the match had finished.

Went to a few home games as a lad in the Ken Furphy/Howard Kendall era (games v Bolton, Blackpool and Oldham stand out though I can't recall scores, just remember the intoxicating night match atmosphere of the old Blackburn End, could hardly see the pitch but that didn't seem to matter too much!).

Became a committed Rovers fan after a Newcastle away trip, Boxing Day 1983 (1-1 draw in front of 33000, 2-3 thousand Rovers on the old Leazes End)

20+ years a season ticket holder...

As sad as it is to admit this, I had a buddy from Wales at the University of Manchester who was a Man Ure fan. Just to spite him, I picked the Rovers out of the Premiership standings (last at the time) and decided to become a fan.

I fell in love with the team, and have been a true supporter ever since.

Though, I must admit, having been relegated for the first full season I was a fan almost broke my heart...

Since 2003.

Living in the suburb of Blackburn in Australia. Came to the club with Brett Emerton (first time i ever looked at the Premier League).

Haven't been too successful since then, but it's been fun.

Best match, 4-3 over Fulham.

Been a fan since the 93/94 season ... I didn't watch football at all before that ... I was more interested in the NFL and the Buffalo Bills.

All I knew about football was that I hated MANURE and I kept hearing about Rovers pushing them all the way for the League ... so I backed Rovers all the way that season and haven't looked back since.

Don't get over to as many games as I'd like to, but hopefully that will change in the future ...

tinykit.gif

I started watching in the late 80's. I think the season after we got beat off Palace in the playoffs. My first game at Ewood was an international under 20's game between England and Holland; Holland won 2-0. My first Rovers game was Bournemouth when we were going through a spell of missing penalties. Howard Gayle scored one at the Darwen end but had to have it retaken because a defender encroached; he missed the retake. I think it finished 0-0. My best early memory was Aston Villa in the FA Cup; a 2-2 classic. We should have won, Sellars and Garner scored, I can't remember their's though.

I started watching in the late 80's. I think the season after we got beat off Palace in the playoffs. My first game at Ewood was an international under 20's game between England and Holland; Holland won 2-0. My first Rovers game was Bournemouth when we were going through a spell of missing penalties. Howard Gayle scored one at the Darwen end but had to have it retaken because a defender encroached; he missed the retake. I think it finished 0-0. My best early memory was Aston Villa in the FA Cup; a 2-2 classic. We should have won, Sellars and Garner scored, I can't remember their's though.

327752[/snapback]

I have a feeling that the game in question was drawn 1-1. 89-90 season if memory serves. Atkins scored to save Gayle's blushes. Anyway, the first game I remember watching was New Years Eve 1983 v Cambridge. Tom Finney was playing for the U's and I distinctly remember Ian Miller scoring the only goal at the Blackburn End. I had been to matches before at Ewood, notably the Bury defeat at home in 1980 that someones already mentioned, but I can't remember it so I won't count it. In fact, the only thing I do remember is being whacked on the head by a copper for sitting on the wall at the Nuttall Street enclosure !

Edited by Andy Kennedys Hairdo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.