BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Craig Bellamy - Good Signing Or Not?

What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?

• Excellent, he was no 1 on my list.
    • Very happy, not my no 1 choice but still very good.
    • Pleased, think he'll do a good job.
    • Uncertain, not sure he's right for us.
    • Disappointed, don't think it'll work out.
    • Appalled, think it's a dreadful mistake.
    • Wouldn't Grooby have been a better option.

I must also add that we procured Bellamy's services at a near bargain rate. If some of those sources are to be believed, then Rovers got hold of Bellamy for just £3.75 million, with the further £750,000 to be paid later. I for one consider that great business, especially when you consider what old 'arry has been spouting about in the press recently.....

Redknapp: Crouch worth £8 million

I know which of those I think is a better deal. Well done to Mark Hughes and John Williams for getting such a quality player at such a good price.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

For me Benni was my first choice.

I think Benni is a better striker BUT Bellamy might pose less of a risk.

The truth is I have never considered Bellamy a STRIKER, but more like a second forward and I dont think we have a high quality first forward.

Hopefully, we will sign Benni too.

Just referring to the results of the poll, who claimed Bellamy was their number one choice??? Bellamy was an excellent signing but second on the wanted list behind McCarthy!

331737[/snapback]

I take it you are sure McCarthy is a better bet for Rovers. Why? How can you be sure McCarthy will adapt to the English game?

I take it you are sure McCarthy is a better bet for Rovers. Why? How can you be sure McCarthy will adapt to the English game?

331739[/snapback]

At least Benni is an out and out centre forward. Bellamy can't do the same job. He's good (infact he's VERY good) at providing for real strikers like Shearer (or perhaps Benni) and making runs off them but can he really lead a front line? Me thinks not.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm delighted we've signed him, he is after all a proven top flight player but I think we need to sign another to play with him. But you never know, maybe Kuqi will be good enough at all, he wouldn't be the first to impress after a move from a lower league.

At least Benni is an out and out centre forward. Bellamy can't do the same job. He's good (infact he's VERY good) at providing for real strikers like Shearer (or perhaps Benni) and making runs off them but can he really lead a front line? Me thinks not.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm delighted we've signed him, he is after all a proven top flight player but I think we need to sign another to play with him. But you never know, maybe Kuqi will be good enough at all, he wouldn't be the first to impress after a move from a lower league.

331750[/snapback]

Didn't answer the question though. You seemed upset that some people thought Bellamy was better than McCarthy. Saying "at least he is an out and out centre forward" doesn't mean much. Ashley Ward was "reputedly" an out and out centre forward. blink.gif

Didn't answer the question though. You seemed upset that some people thought Bellamy was better than McCarthy. Saying "at least he is an out and out centre forward" doesn't mean much. Ashley Ward was "reputedly" an out and out centre forward. blink.gif

331751[/snapback]

Similar questions can be raised about Bellamy. He is going to be asked to do a job for us he has never done before, lead our front line. All I'm saying is McCarthy already leads Porto's attack, Bellamy has never led an attack, he runs off a stronger striker and provides for him. Bellamy is a quality player and I'm delighted he signed but who is he going to run off and provide for at Rovers? Gallagher? Dickov? They aren't a good enough partner for him. I hope Kuqi becomes a success otherwise I think we may need to sign another striker to play with Bellamy.

Redknapp: 'Crouch is worth 8 million'?...utterly ridiculous! laugh.gif

331754[/snapback]

The fact that nobody has bid £8mil for him means he's not worth it. He'll be sold for less because he wants premiership football and nobody will pay that much. I think there are many better options available though for £2/3mil less.

Bellamy isn't going to be asked to lead our frontline at all.

Hughes isn't that stupid.

Just because he's our best striker doesn't mean he has to lead it.

331770[/snapback]

Who is going to lead our front line? That's my point, there's noone good enough. If we'd brought in an out and out striker then we could play Dickov or Gallagher (maybe even Jansen if he proves worthy again) off him but we've got noone good enough to fill that role. Everyone on hear was talking about us qualifying for Europe but we really don't have two good enough strikers yet.

Probably Kuqi or Dickov..... Basically players who can hold the ball up.

When you get a player as good as Bellamy he can make up for the player next to him, though Kuqi and Dickov aren't bad....

Don't you remember the Quinn/Phillips strikeforce.

Probably Kuqi or Dickov..... Basically players who can hold the ball up.

When you get a player as good as Bellamy he can make up for the player next to him, though Kuqi and Dickov aren't bad....

Don't you remember the Quinn/Phillips strikeforce.

331776[/snapback]

It didn't get Sunderland into Europe though. I just hope Kuqi is good enough, because in my opinion, Dickov (as hard as he tries) just isn't.

It didn't get Sunderland into Europe though. I just hope Kuqi is good enough, because in my opinion, Dickov (as hard as he tries) just isn't.

331780[/snapback]

It got them 7th two seasons in a row.

That now would probably get you into europe, if both cup winners finish above 7th.

If Bellamy can keep the ball forward like Henry does (ie by gaining territory) then I'll be happy.

331781[/snapback]

Back to my initial point, be careful not expect too much from Bellamy, he's a good player but certainly can't be compared to Henry, yet wink.gif

Whiging old scottish fart.....

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.a...nel=premiership

I hope Bellamy keeps his mouth shut and refrains from replying in his usual fashion. Come on Bellers, prove him wrong and show us all that you're finally growing up!

330829[/snapback]

Just going back to mention this briefly, Souey's comments are exactly the sort of things Bellamy used to be so quick to retaliate to. I haven't yet heard of anything Bellamy has said - well done for ignoring it!

Up to press, 101 people.

331740[/snapback]

He was my number one choice, which I voted...

Each person has a different idea of what makes a good player and a good team - I like Sparky's confrontational team (if that's the right term) - actually playing the contact sport of football, and playing with a bit of passion. I am in full support of our manager and am confident he can get the most out of players like Bellamy without allowing that passion to boil over.

I have enjoyed the team mentality since Mark Hughes arrived, and I look forward to it continuing.

However, I would also like to see Benni sign too, and one or two more reliable defensive and midfield options. I am sure Mr Hughes has a few more tricks up his sleeve yet but most of us won't find out until the player is at Ewood having a medical at the earliest. Again!

i think hughes will be looking at a short term solution to the 1st striker problem...and ive got a feeling we may still see andy cole in the blue and white again. There arent many better leading men in the prem...and next season we can look to strengthen further with a long term replacement.

I'd say we shuld probably forget about McCarthy for now...it would be a pleasant surprise if it happened...but i dont think it will!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.