BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Craig Bellamy - Good Signing Or Not?

What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?

• Excellent, he was no 1 on my list.
    • Very happy, not my no 1 choice but still very good.
    • Pleased, think he'll do a good job.
    • Uncertain, not sure he's right for us.
    • Disappointed, don't think it'll work out.
    • Appalled, think it's a dreadful mistake.
    • Wouldn't Grooby have been a better option.

If we could bring in either Cole or McCarhty, or even both, then I would be ecstatic.  This is a very good signing, but I still do not believe we have the goalscorer we are craving for.

330034[/snapback]

I agree entirely. However, Bellamy is someone who can bring the crowds in (which lets face it is a major problem). I will reserve judgement on Kuqi - he's not played in the premiership before and I've got a suspicious feeling he might be able to rattle a few cages.

One more thing - just been reading teamtalk.com - can anyone remember the last time a member of the press called us an "ambitious Lancashire outfit"??? - COME ON ROVERS!!!

Lets not get over excited though we'll still win nowt - but we're getting better and that's the main thing. I live up in Newcastle and their club are in a right sorry state at the mo so I know who I would rather be following.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fantastic signing but as others have said it raises interesting questions about our formation next year. I can't see Bellamy as the 1 in a 4-5-1 so does this mean we're looking at a 442 with Kuqi & Bellamy?

I don't like the idea of trying to use Kuqi as an old-fashioned target man. When's the last time someone like that was a threat in the PL? It's alla bout pace and movement now and for the first time in years we have a player with genuine pace.

I would love to see Cole back to play alongside him as his link-up play is second to none, I also think this could be the making of Gally, he might not have much pace but he's one of the best passers of the ball in the squad and I can see him releasing Bellamy for a few 1 on 1's .

Well done Rovers! I'm actually excited by the coming season now.

Well done Rovers! I'm actually excited by the coming season now.

330267[/snapback]

It's been a while but yes - there is a certain buzz that I haven't had for a few pre seasons now.

As for the formation - I think all the questions raised could boil down to Kuqi. Is he gonna be a starter? Is he gonna warm the bench? He must have something about him I refuse to believe Hughes has signed him just so we can hoof the ball up to him when in the second half when we want a point away from home. I think I might pop onto some of the Ipswich boards to see what they're saying about hinm leaving.

"Ambitious Lancashire Outfit" . . . I like that tag biggrin.gif

Think it's a good signing, one that was definitely needed after last season's attempts at scoring goals. The usual comment now being, if Hughes can keep everyone in check with attitudes and the like, then there is no reason why we can't be challenging fora UEFA Cup spot this coming season. Especially if he can make a couple of more signings, hopefully on par with this one.

Nice one, Hughesy biggrin.gif

Hughes was saying on Radio Lancs that he will play Bellamy to get the best out of him depending on the opposition - so I don't think we have seen the last of 4-5-1.

But lets not forget that it is 4-5-1 when in defence - but can quickly revert to 4-3-3 when in attack. I can see Bellamy as either the lone striker - against some of the better sides we can hit long balls for him to latch onto, but can also see him as a right sided player with Pedersen on the left on Kuqi or maybe even Cole up front - in a fluid 4-3-3 formation.

Can't wait for the new season now - thought our days of attracting a top class striker just coming to his peak were over. If we can follow this up with McCarthy or a high profile attacking mid-field player I will be over the moon.

The media are calling us Blackeye Rovers, thugs, etc...

330217[/snapback]

That's the Guardian's excellent Fiver email, and they've been calling us that for a while now. But spare a thought for Brum and Steve Bruce, who's known as 'Bongo FC's Bernard Cribbins'!!!!

If we can follow this up with McCarthy or a high profile attacking mid-field player I will be over the moon.

330344[/snapback]

I might be wrong here but I reckon they will have next to nowt left to spend. Interesting thing was the report said 5 mil then it said the amount was undisclosed (i swear the report changed) - it left me to wonder how badly souness wanted rid of bellers when he threatened to come back to pre season training with the Geordies.

I reckon the board will let Hughes spend another Half Mill, Million at a push now.

This Bellamy signing is fabulous, however I do have some concerns.

What on earth is Mr. Bellamy going to think when he looks around on the first home game and see's a stadium 2/3 full? When one year ago he would have played in front of a packed 50,000+ at St. James Park.

Mid-week away games will see him cheered on by 4 or 500 Rovers fans as opposed to 3,000 Geordies or 4,000 fanatical Celtic fans.

I do worry once he realises what he has done, he may only stick around for a year.

Anyway, enough of the doom and gloom. I'm sure he'll be fantastic thumbs-up.gif

it left me to wonder how badly souness wanted rid of bellers when he threatened to come back to pre season training with the Geordies.

I can picture the scene.

Bellamy running around the Barcodes training ground with that angelic 'who, me?' look on his face and Graeme and Deano etc in a huddle in the corner wondering how they are going to cope with the situation biggrin.gif

http://www.football365.com/opinion/mailbox...ry_156511.shtml

Some opposition fans' reaction.

Rovers and Bellamy are getting knocked around, naturally.

They're never happy, these fiends.

It's either "Bellamy lacking ambition" or "Rovers do not have the right to attract players of high calibre", or failing that, there are snipes at the personalities that we have at the club.

Edited by James No. 7

Was on a Birmingham Clubbing forum and there was a few deluded Villa fans berating the fact we got Bellamy instead of them.

Y'know, comments like:

"why would ne1 in their right mind go To blackburn!!?!?!?!

this is so insulting To a club like Villa, that some poxy Club up north can get this kind of player."

and . . .

"BUT BLACKBURN!!!

admit villa are slow on the up, but blackburn will NEVER EVER EVER be bigger than Villa, and everyone knows that."

Always good for a laugh biggrin.gif

http://communicate.godskitchen.com/uk/showthread.php?t=74676

How many waverers RE season tickets do you think Bellers signing will convert?

Could he even pay for himself in ticket sales?

Should we play our home games at the Millenium Stadium?

Confused? you will be after this weeks episode of SOAP. blink.gif

Was on a Birmingham Clubbing forum and there was a few deluded Villa fans berating the fact we got Bellamy instead of them.

Y'know, comments like:

"why would ne1 in their right mind go To blackburn!!?!?!?!

this is so insulting To a club like Villa, that some poxy Club up north can get this kind of player."

and . . .

"BUT BLACKBURN!!!

admit villa are slow on the up, but blackburn will NEVER EVER EVER be bigger than Villa, and everyone knows that."

Always good for a laugh biggrin.gif

http://communicate.godskitchen.com/uk/showthread.php?t=74676

330415[/snapback]

check out this article - and the last paragraph in particular.

celtic sour grapes

Stupid jibes like that really do make my blood boil!!!! I hope we finish sixth now, and send a polite e-mail back to him at the end of the season quoting this article!!!

I can't believe how thick some people are.

Has it ever occured that Blackburn are wanting to get into europe again, like TWO SEASONS AGO.

People have short memories, and seemingly can't accept that if a small club has good players, they will do well.

330415[/snapback]

It's this "size" thing again!

It must be why some blokes go fishing, it's comparing penis sizes without being accused of being a poofter, except fish size is used as a proxy.

"How big is your club?" blah blah blah.

Pathetic.

Were Villa "bigger" than us when we won the league? laugh.gif

the thing that i find quite funny in all this is the ignorance of the fans from other clubs. Saying that he's only here for the money when clearly he would've got more than 30k at Villa/Everton.

The other thing that is annoying me about everton is the fact that their fans now believe they are gonna be genuine CL contenders year in year out from now on, when they quite clearly dont have the squad to progress in Europe and the league.

I would be genuinely surprised if Everton qualified for any European compititions next season and could quite easily see them in lower mid tabel where their football belongs.

The other thing that is annoying me about everton is the fact that their fans now believe they are gonna be genuine CL contenders year in year out from now on, when they quite clearly dont have the squad to progress in Europe and the league.

I dont see Everton being a much bigger club than Rovers, and the positions could easily be reversed.

Both clubs are however bigger than Celtic.

"He missing the champions league blah blah blah." If Rovers were in the SPL then we'd be in the champions league year in year out. Thankfully we're in the EPL.

Very very happy with the signing, sick to bloody death of all this harping on about A.Cole though. Forwards lads and lasses forwards.

Only concern I have about Bellamy is his injuries and do we have the caliber of passer available to make the most use of Bellamy. You know we never knew how to bloody well pass to duffers. It's all well and good having a lightening quick forward but if he always has to run backwards two or three yards to get the pass it sort of takes the edge off.

I don't see his rep being a problem I think there is a mutual respect between Sparky and him.

I dont see Everton being a much bigger club than Rovers, and the positions could easily be reversed.

Both clubs are however bigger than Celtic.

330473[/snapback]

I don't think so.

We do have the advantage of playing in a proper competition however.

I wonder if Souness requested that Bellamy not play in the St James fixture as part of this deal?

Sort of like a gentlemens agreement between Rovers and Brum for Savage last year to not play at St Andrew's ?

Just a question I would have liked to have seen brought up.

I like the signing, but can't help wonder if the one year out clause has to do with protecting the player if Rovers get relegated. blink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.