BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 - 0 spurs match review

Knock a zero off each figure and change the dollar sign to a pounds sign and you have it right.

341534[/snapback]

Well, I'm typing on an American keyboard and have no clue about which function key to use to get the pound sign, but the dollar figure is a relief. Seemed a bit excessive. Thanks.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second half wasn't much better, again we had more of the ball but very little chances in the game. I don't see how Kuqi is any better then Dickov, and our lack of a quality striker showed. I thought Neill went for the ball and that tackle really didn't deserve a straight red. Other than that the defence was pretty solid, i don't hink Spurs had a single good chance. A draw vs Spurs isn't too bad, but nothing special.

Well, I'm typing on an American keyboard and have no clue about which function key to use to get the pound sign, but the dollar figure is a relief. Seemed a bit excessive. Thanks.

341535[/snapback]

So what's above the 3 on US keyboards? huh.gif

Sounds like we should have won tonight (I was working...I heard nothing), but I would have taken a point before kick off, so no complaints really. Except about the lack of discipline - imagine how the media are going to react if we actually were to become half as bad as we're cracked up to be. That plus the suspended fine. Must do better.

Edited by Radagast

Very negative match report on the Sky Sports website. Maybe I'm looking too hard for an anti-Rovers bias, but listen to these quotes...

"Blackburn and Tottenham played out a disappointing goalless draw at Ewood Park with both sides seemingly happy to settle for a point from the outset."

"Rovers had a double penalty appeal turned down as first Kuqi and then Brett Emerton claimed fouls as they ran into the box, however Dermot Gallagher correctly adjudged that no infringement had taken place."

"In truth neither side deserved anymore than a point from the game with creativity and chances at a premium."

No mention whatsoever than Spuds managed one shot all game long. Give credit where credit is due for Godsakes... though maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.

I don't see how Kuqi is any better then Dickov...

Kuqi is better than Dickov: purely because Kuqi gets on with the game, instead of whinging and moaning at the referee at a constant rate, which in turn gives the team a chance for some continuity in its play.

It's a good thing Dickov got suspended when he did.

No mention whatsoever than Spuds managed one shot all game long.  Give credit where credit is due for Godsakes... though maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.

You're not sensitive enough, to be honest. Horrible reporting.

I wonder if Sky mentioned the poor refereeing? The referee just didn't let the game flow at all, he did, and cases could be made for those penalty calls. Certainly the fans thought so.

Before the match I'd have settled for a point against a vastly improved Spuds side... but that was before I realised Davids, Carrick and Defoe were on the bench. We should have won tonight and no amount of grumbling about the perpetually awful Dermot Gallagher will excuse the fact we didn't have enough on the field to finish them off. Not seen Neill's 2nd yellow card yet but at the time I thought it was harsh, although those who have seen replays seem to think there was justification for it so I'll just have to wait until it's on MOTD. No doubt that tossrag Lineker et al will stick the knife in, but I guess we all expect that now.

Oh well, another point and a clean sheet when down to 10 men. On the downside, Todd looked a bit ropey when he went off and that could mean Mokoena at the week at the weekend. Bugger.

Before the match I'd have settled for a point against a vastly improved Spuds side... but that was before I realised Davids, Carrick and Defoe were on the bench.  We should have won tonight and no amount of grumbling about the perpetually awful Dermot Gallagher will excuse the fact we didn't have enough on the field to finish them off.  Not seen Neill's 2nd yellow card yet but at the time I thought it was harsh, although those who have seen replays seem to think there was justification for it so I'll just have to wait until it's on MOTD.  No doubt that tossrag Lineker et al will stick the knife in, but I guess we all expect that now.

Oh well, another point and a clean sheet when down to 10 men.  On the downside, Todd looked a bit ropey when he went off and that could mean Mokoena at the week at the weekend.  Bugger.

341543[/snapback]

Lucky to finish with 10 men weren't you - what was going on with the headbut?

No question about both Neills cards.

No doubt that tossrag Lineker et al will stick the knife in, but I guess we all expect that now.

341543[/snapback]

Actually, they gave a good account of us, well our football at least.

Neill deserved to go, and no doubt Todd will be in trouble too.

Seems as though we put in a good performance. Gale and Hansen, yes Hansen were very complimentary to us saying that we played great football at times. And as Hansen said it was Rovers achilles heel again-we can't score enough. For all of Kuqi's effort, what was he doing for that one on one?! He went to ground when all he had to do was sidefoot the ball past Robinson. Surely we could do with another frontman? Offload Dickov if we have to and bring in someone on loan. I fear weve left it too late, and even with bellers we will struggle to get more than 45 goals. Finally, sorry to end on a sour note, but Neil and Tood have let the club down again. Yes its great that Hansen and that are saying were playing nice, tidy football, but again the press will just be concerned with "dirty" Neil and "thug" Todd. Sometimes Todd baffles me-the lad must have some sort of temper issue, and judging by some of his incidents in football this is justified. Andy you cannot headbut people even if they are mouthy fat Irishmen. And as for Lucas, youve no complaints mate, it was a dirty, mistimed challnge. So I anticipate Lucas getting a 1-2 game ban, Todd a 3 game one, and our club reputation to be tarnished again.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

We could replace Kuqi with a JCB and no-one would know the difference. He'll work all day but he's got the first touch of a brick wall. The problem is, with no Bellamy, he's the only player we can put up there in this formation...which is exactly the scenario we all feared when we put 'all our eggs into one basket'.

With Tugay playing in a 4-5-1 we don't look that bad, we should also replace Matteo with Gresko to have more of a threat down the left though. On the subject of the lefthand side...I'm already wondering how long we can hang on to Pedersen. Tugay aside, he's at least one level above the entire squad in terms of technical ability and awareness. If he had pace he'd be one of the best wide players in the world.

Edited by LeChuck

Just seen the highlights on Match of the Day and they cleared up a couple of incidents that weren't overly obvious from where I was sat in Ewood tonight.

Lucas Neill deserved his 2nd red card and could maybe have had a straight red given the new tackling interpretation this season (i.e. endangering an opponent).

As for the off-the-ball incident, Andy Reid of Spurs was head butted by a Rovers player. MOTD said it was Stephen Reid, but it was definitely Andy Todd. He can now expect at least a 3 game ban to be handed out when it's analysed by the FA.

When will they ever learn? sad.gifwithstupid.gif

Here is my analysis of tonight's game, for what it's worth...

EDIT: Yeah, I did watch this match live on television, since some people have made a point that perceptions can be different depending on the type of media consumption.

If there is anything to be said about this match, it must be said that Rovers could have easily earned the three points, if only there was not a lack of quality up front in the absence of Craig Bellamy and even Matt Jansen. However, that was not to be, despite Rovers having several shots on goal, as opposed to the solitary attempt by Tottenham.

Another thing that perhaps needs mentioning is that it is disappointing that Lucas Neill was sent off for a rash challenge and that an unidentified Blackburn player (probably captain Andy Todd) was spotted allegedly head butting opposition number Robbie Keane on camera, which will no doubt earn some close scrutiny from the authorities. Those incidences were sorely disappointing, to be honest, because before that I thought that we were playing a very clean game and really showing up the critics who think we are nothing but a dirty team. Alas, the negative media barrage looks set to continue.

Here is my analysis of the manager and the players.

Mark Hughes (9): Fair play to the manager for his tactical side of the game tonight. He decided to use the 4-5-1, and despite the seemingly negative formation, there was an attacking bite to it. The formation kept Tottenham under wraps all night, and indeed a win would have been earned had it not been for the lack of quality up front. It was also a smart move to keep the creative Tugay in the defensive midfield role, in favour of the preferred Aaron Mokoena.

Brad Friedel (8): The former United States international really had little to do tonight, but when he was called up to do a job, he did it without too much difficulty.

Lucas Neill (6): He gets his low rating for the sending off late in the match. He played a decent game at right back before that and showed defensive poise and a certain flair in attack.

Ryan Nelsen (7): There were a couple of times that I recall where he looked shaky in defence, and he also missed a quality Robbie Savage set-piece cross that should have been put away, but overall he did a decent job and kept a clean sheet in the heart of defence, so there is little more to criticise him for.

Andy Todd (7): He did his job. There is not much more that I can recall about his performance, other than the fact that he works well with Nelsen in a defensive pairing.

Dominic Matteo (7): The much-maligned left back performed solidly, but showed little attacking ability, which I suppose is no new revelation.

Tugay (8): He very much controlled the game in his defensive midfield position in his very poise and relaxed manner, and showed a great amount of skill and creativity. Not all of his passes were 100% successful, but that is the price to play for someone with his vision. If only he was celebrating 25 years of his life, rather than 35 years.

Brett Emerton (7): The right winger had a good game tonight and there was much to be pleased about his performance, in comparison to recent matches. He had a little bit more confidence in himself tonight, putting in shots and crosses, winning balls and corner kicks, and was a catalyst in attack a few times.

Robbie Savage (7): He played solidly and did his job in the centre of midfield, especially in winning the ball. In addition, he is very much looking fitter than he has been in the past for Rovers and we should start seeing the best of him in the not too distant future.

Steven Reid (7): He was a little bit too anonymous tonight for my liking, especially for a central midfielder, but he did not do much wrong.

Morten Gamst Pedersen (7): He had his usual game on the left wing, where he puts in a cross or two and helps the build-up of attacks. His corner kicks were disappointing tonight, which were mostly over hit.

Shefki Kuqi (7): The likeable striker tried his heart out, but it was obvious to see why he was signed as a back-up striker. His first touch is atrocious, and had it been better, he would have scored a couple of goals. Credit must be given to him for getting into good positions, though, and he makes a welcome change from the whinging and moaning of Paul Dickov at the referee, who consequently breaks up any chance of continuity in Rovers' style of play.

Jemal Johnson (6): He was a late substitute for Kuqi and was not on the field long enough to make an impression on me. He gets the default rating of six.

Aaron Mokoena (6): He was the late substitute for the injured Andy Todd and had little chance of making an impression, so he also gets a default rating.

In conclusion, the match was very heartening from a Blackburn Rovers perspective, despite the lack of a cutting wedge in attack and only earning a point in a scoreless draw at the end. To keep Tottenham Hotspur under wraps and pull the strings attacking wise is a good sign of things to come.

Edited by James No. 7

A big shout out to the Blackburn Police who made a complete balls up of the traffic flow before and after the game. cheers

341559[/snapback]

Ill echo that!

25 mins from the 65 J4 to Ewood at 5.30!!!

Anyway, some thoughts.

Todd. surely a 3 match suspension, deservedly so. I find no excuse for that.

Neill. Seen some replays and undecided, suspect that means they were deserved (taking into account some blue and white blinkers)

Gallagher is a fussy old fool on occasions and Im afraid tonight was one of those.

I don`t care who were the better team. I`m getting a tad bored of seeing 10 man Rovers now. Although Andy Reid made the most of it ( as most wimpy footie players do ), Todd is lucky to have been subbed instead of sent from the field.

I hate our reputation. Especially when we are capable of being the better team.Fairly.

just to say- expect the same old headlines in tomorrows papers.

They wont say that we put in a decent performance just that Rovers should be kicked out of league, banned etc.

341565[/snapback]

10 man Rovers in 0-0 draw (with another suspension on the way).

We can't complain anymore, the papers are right. Hughes said he wanted to show people that the comments last season were unfair...well, if anything, we're getting worse. It's hardly suprising when we're the same team but with a big striker instead of a little one.

rover.gif lets not look on the bright side,we played spuds off the pitch for a long time,i am a advocate off any rover being booked being subbed right away.we have a stigma which seems to be sticking mad.gif one positive point the crowd tongue.gif if kuqi could finish we would have 6pts instead off 4 tinykit.gif

Kuqi is better than Dickov: purely because Kuqi gets on with the game, instead of whinging and moaning at the referee at a constant rate, which in turn gives the team a chance for some continuity in its play.

It's a good thing Dickov got suspended when he did.

341540[/snapback]

Its about time somebody wrote to the FA asking for Dickovs ban to be extended for the sake of Rovers fans !

I thought we played well tonight, pity we only managed a draw in the end. I didn't see MotD, but IMO Neil's first challenge wasn't worthy of the a yellow, just a good hard tackle and got the ball.

Why oh why does Savage insist on taking free kicks and corners? MGP is a million times better, yet Savage insisted on taking a number of free-kicks. He has no power in his set-pieces unlike MGP who is as good as anyone in the PL at striking a dead ball. mad.gif

Good to see attacking football, and a lively crowd. There were a lot of good points and lessons learned tonight...

1. Savage can wind up the away supporters, and can get the CIS stand to sing - priceless.

2. Rovers should revert to 'Final Countdown', rather than tonights effort - surely they should have known that?

3. Ref's appear to be actively taking a biased attitude against rovers.

4. Edgar Davids really isn't all that...

5. Blackburn Police couldn't direct Dingle to a banana, never mind traffic around ewood.

Why oh why does Savage insist on taking free kicks and corners? MGP is a million times better, yet Savage insisted on taking a number of free-kicks.

341570[/snapback]

There was a funny moment on Sky Sports tonight regarding a Savage free-kick. They were talking to Tony Gale who was covering our game and we had a free-kick, he said something like:

"Savage is about to take a free-kick, if you want to stay with me a moment I'll tell you when it hits the wall.

<pause>

It hit the wall."

biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.