BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article confirms what we all knew anyway.

Season ticket sales down at 10 clubs

350943[/snapback]

Most interesting fact on there is that Sky viewers are down a massive 11% year on year! ohmy.gif

Now that puts a completely different perspective on the poll at the top of this topic. 4 of the points are completely wiped out. I suggest boredom created by the certain knowledge that all but 1 or 2 clubs are simply avoiding relegation and continuing to 'exist' in the Prem is significant. Football has always been known as the sport of the masses and whilst Abromovich must have the mark of the beast somewhere on his person the Prem have been myopically stupid in ancouraging the prostitution of the game to the wealthier segment of the population. I've already pointed out that the people who seem to be deserting us are the more recent supporters who were lured by the glitz and 'fashion' of the 90's, it seems as I've long suspected that this section of our support simply do not have the game in their soul.

Well it's not really surprising that sky's figures are down as well. Due to the mass amount of football on television people can become bored, they've had their fix and so they don't need to watch their 2nd, 3rd or 4th game of the weekend and will simply go and do something else. This means that not only do the clubs suffer, but sky will suffer as well. If you've become bored with the amount of football on television and the prices of tickets for the actual game are too much for you then you may well end up simply watching the team you support whenever they are on, meaning that sky will suffer and the club won't have supporters turning up either.

Most interesting fact on there is that Sky viewers are down a massive 11% year on year! ohmy.gif

Now that puts a completely different perspective on the poll at the top of this topic.  4 of the points are completely wiped out.

350952[/snapback]

theno I don't understand your thinking with that remark. If someone expresses a reason why they no longer attend/watch football surely that opinion remains valid. It might not be the majority view but it remains the individual's reason for non-attendance. Unless of course they choose to blame Grooby! smile.gif

It's quite easy Paul. Football is proving a turn off to many nowadays. By paying too much attention to the poll you are choosing to select an element of tunnel vision by narrowing it down to those paying to go to Ewood, rather than widening the search to get to the bottom of the current widespread malaise by acknowledging those simply being 'bored' by the current nature of the game as a spectacle or on it's entertainment value.

Overpriced tickets are big in our poll but are not the reason for almost a million people per game choosing not to watch the Sky product are they?

Edited by thenodrog

Yes I see what you mean. Good point. To get an accurate picture we need responses only from fans who have stopped attending at Ewood or more generally have stopped attending football elsewhere.

I suppose a large element of the "over-priced" vote, for example, could be a reaction, albeit a reasonable one, that football is too expensive. A protest rather than a reason if the fan still attends the matches.

Football clubs engaging advertising agencies.

I really like the Man City campaign. Clever, clean and will make the Sky Blues walk tall over their sliding Glazered Manc neighbours. Great stuff for winning over a new generation of supporters and perfect for youngsters to argue over.

Problem for Rovers is that we don't have a target market of any significance to advertise to. sad.gif

PS There is a public access programme on TV Malta in which clubs and associations can promote themselves. The Malta Man United supporters were on last night- they must have more clobber in their enormous club premises than in the Man U Superstore.

Edited by philipl

Problem for Rovers is that we don't have a target market of any significance to advertise to. sad.gif

351646[/snapback]

Lancashire United would have Philip. wink.gif

It seems your thought processes have unwittingly lurched forward somewhat. Bit slow but keep it up, you are getting there. thumbs-up.gif

btw I hate that name can no-one think of another to cover debates on merged NW football clubs?

Edited by thenodrog

I really like the Man City campaign. Clever, clean and will make the Sky Blues walk tall over their sliding Glazered Manc neighbours. Great stuff for winning over a new generation of supporters and perfect for youngsters to argue over.

PS There is a public access programme on TV Malta in which clubs and associations can promote themselves. The Malta Man United supporters were on last night- they must have more clobber in their enormous club premises than in the Man U Superstore.

351646[/snapback]

Mmmm...I have my doubts and I might be naive in my thinking and feelings here Philipl, but my reading of this is that they are expecting their core support to stay with them.

Now the way things are going with Football at the moment I think we can reasonably ascertain that this would probably not be the case unless numerous drastic changes are made.

This probably relates to most who have attended football over the years, but an interest in a Club tended to stem from a family relation(s) or friend(s) already interested/attending games getting you interested and into the groove and routine and becoming addicted for whatever reason.

Maybe this might be the way forward, but IMO this will not generate the Fan with diehard loyalty , more the 'fashion seeker' and what I call 'one offers' as the statement on Charlton would suggest about ticket enquiries from previous non attendees "So many of the calls are from people who had never considered going to football before," - would be interesting to see if many are re-callers/attendees

351646[/snapback]

Completely wide of the mark there, this is all rather old hat as far as Rovers are concerned we already have our own in house advertising agency Touch Communications seemingly run by Simon Williams (name sound familiar?) who certainly over the last two to three years have been targeting the local area.

Not living in the area you won't have seen previous advertising campaigns around the town "Your team Your town You're needed" "Be part of the team"

"Affordable football at Ewood" talking bus stops, buses with ads on , mailshots etc.etc.

Rovers see themselves as very cutting edge where this sort of thing is concerned as having the smallest geographical fan base we felt the effect of stay away fans first. It's almost a case now of other clubs looking at what we do.

I'm not sure if John Williams would think we are getting value for money in terms of the money spent on the campaigns but I think it's something that has to be persevered with long term to keep the brand name in the Public consciousness. My only comment would be that previous campaigns have been targetted very locally and maybe we need to branch out a little further afield.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

My only comment would be that previous campaigns have been targetted very locally and maybe we need to branch out a little further afield.

351775[/snapback]

For a time the campaign was noticeable in Lancaster, but then disappeared just as quickly as it came. It would be a good idea to cast the net a bit wider, as Bolton and Wigan have been added competition for us in terms of the casual football fan living in the North West who wants to see some Premiership action. At worst these un-attached football fans will provide the club with short term extra revenue, at best they may be converted to loyal Rovers fans.

Give it a rest 'drog. It is a total non-runner.

351724[/snapback]

In order that all clubs are sufficiently large to warrant the immense privilege of competing in the top flight I think Gordon has this utopian vision of all clubs merging and London Lions/ Birmingham Broncos/Manchester Buccaneers and Liverpool Limas competing in a thrilling 4 team League every Saturday!

smile.gifwink.gif

My only comment would be that previous campaigns have been targetted very locally and maybe we need to branch out a little further afield.

351775[/snapback]

Am i right in saying Rovers would be my closest Premiership club, from Leeds? Must be Rovers or Bolton....

Lancashire United would have Philip.    wink.gif

It seems your thought processes have unwittingly lurched forward somewhat.  Bit slow but keep it up, you are getting there. thumbs-up.gif

btw I hate that name can no-one think of another to cover debates on merged NW football clubs?

351686[/snapback]

Red Rose FC?

350952[/snapback]

At least it's not as bad as the ITV Digital situation were some football league matches had so few viewers (less than 20k iirc) that it was widely reported that it would have been cheaper for the tv company to buy viewers match tickets and lay on taxis to get them there.

In my mind there should be no more than 5 televised Premiership matches a fortnight. Two each Sunday and one other mid week/Monday night. Saturday matches should always be 1500 kick-offs, with the only change being when there is possible police issues. TV should never be the reason behind a kick off change on a Saturday.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.