BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

You only visit Ewood once a season Andy so why bother about kids? ;-)

349108[/snapback]

I limit myself to one game a season at the moment as im a student (and not the sort that has mummy and daddys financial backing either). Used to go to a lot of games before then, especially in the first division. Im the sort of supporter that surely the rovers should be doing more to entice, rather than worrying about kids for a quid.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAnt decide when to drag my eldest.  Hes just 4 now.  Syas he hates football!!!

349249[/snapback]

Don't worry. He's still very young and 90 minutes of football is too draining at that age, plus he wouldn't be able to comprehend football very much anyway. Give him three years and drag him to watch the Rovers, no matter what. Once he goes he will probably love it, especially if his first game is a Rovers win and he sees everyone around him celebrating and really happy. He'll want to be part of that. thumbs-up.gif

I know one swallow dont make a summer but lets hope that today's win puts a little bit more fire into your average Rovers fan's belly.There's been a hell of a lot of negativity from even your most ardent blue of late following the Newcastle game - no interest anymore,not being 'entertained' enough, but lets hope today reminds us ALL of why we support this great old man of football,just when you thought his chips were down!.......

GET DOWN TO EWOOD AND SUPPORT 'EM! rover.gif

Watched the full match on some dodgy satellite channel in the pub after 6:30, knowing the score, unlike the Likely Lads, meant an unstressed, blissful experience - obviously wish I'd been at OT but family commitments precluded...this absolutely fantastic victory will obviously keep us all buoyant but we MUST, as fans, do something about the supporter's CHOICE at Ewood. Let's designate the Blackburn End lower tier a 'flag and scarf' ultra zone ie relax some of the stadium rules that alienate a certain type of fan....

The Alan75 concern above over the Wigan game at New Year is symptomatic of where the problem lies. He states he is put off by potential drunken, lary Rovers fans but fails to recognise that many of those have already been put off by his, more sober and staid type of support. THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM AT EWOOD FOR BOTH, AND ALSO AT MANY AWAY GAMES ...there never used to be an either/or over supporting nor needs there be now.... definatley something for Rovers fans to take forward

Why we should be glad attendances are falling!

Some interesting developments- the relegated trio of last season have been replaced by Arsenal, Chelsea and the Mancs on the attendance working party. The fall off in away support has meant that OT has not been full at every game so far this season except the City match.

The dilemma for the Mancs of course is that OT is a snooze zone if the away support is not singing. Rovers' 1,000 came over loud and clear on the live coverage for much of the match yesterday.

John Williams seems to have got changing the division of Premiership monies onto the agenda (which is probably why the big three have joined the attendance committee). At present, 50% of the Prem money is divided equally, 25% goes in prize money and 25% for TV coverage. It is possible that 14 votes will be mustered for a shift to 80-10-10.

A very level-headed piece from Norwich City about building attendances. Of course it helps to have a vast un-footballed hinterland which Rovers don't have the luxury of enjoying. This bit about the unpredictability of the Championship is being over done. Sheff U are already 9 points clear of third place and 18 points ahead of Norwich- makes the Prem look competitive!

In France, the league has pulled off a more lucrative TV monopoly deal than Sky ever dreamt of in England and the EU hasn't batted an eyelid. (Perhaps the Prem and Sky should just stick the French agreement through the Google translator and shove that in front of Brussels?). However, the game is going to pot over there as the fall off in goals scored is even more dramatic than in the Prem prompying a national task force to look at the crisis. Attendances are unsurprisingly well down.

Edited by philipl

That is true,it was a poor gate but the league cup is a different beast from the premier league altogether. I know of 3 non-regulars who attended the Huddersfield game. Just imagine what the crowd would`ve been if it had been a full price game?? I`d at least halve it.

348990[/snapback]

In that case we would have made more money! smile.gif

349249[/snapback]

Dont push him or you may well put him off for life. Seriously! imo kids should not go until they have been playing team football at school for a year or two, 7 at the earliest but age 8 is about right.

I know one swallow dont make a summer but lets hope that today's win puts a little bit more fire into your average Rovers fan's belly.There's been a hell of a lot of negativity from even your most ardent blue of late following the Newcastle game - no interest anymore,not being 'entertained' enough, but lets hope today reminds us ALL of why we support this great old man of football,just when you thought his chips were down!.......

GET DOWN TO EWOOD AND SUPPORT 'EM! rover.gif

349255[/snapback]

I said at half time that I wouldn't be gutted if we lost this as I was just so pleased to have seen some decent football from us. It was a genuine pleasure to watch yesterday which is all I ask for. It was worth every penny and more.

349249[/snapback]

Mine all started to go at 4 years of age. The eldest started off in Nuttall Street and by the time I had three to take we'd moved to the Family Stand, free STs thank goodness.

When to start is difficult. My eldest started going because someone suggested if I thought i was going out every other Saturday and leaving two under 4s with their mother I could think again. By the time he was six it was 92 and we all know how things were then. It wasn't a problem smile.gif

The two elder boys never complained but would get a bit bored so you need to take other things to occupy them. The youngest took years to become a Rover and it wasn't until he was around 11 that he really got into it. Last night he was begging to stay up for MOTD and we had a great time sitting together watching that win. Perseverance works!

The problem with leaving it until they have a real understanding or interest is the influence of Man Utd, Chelsea etc. Going through the "Why can't I support Man Utd?" period is hard work...........but you can beat it into them eventually!! wink.gif

The best thing is to try a game and see what his reaction is...........

Watched the full match on some dodgy satellite channel in the pub after 6:30, knowing the score, unlike the Likely Lads, meant an unstressed, blissful experience - obviously wish I'd been at OT but family commitments precluded...this absolutely fantastic victory will obviously keep us all buoyant but we MUST, as fans, do something about the supporter's CHOICE at Ewood. Let's designate the Blackburn End lower tier a 'flag and scarf' ultra zone ie relax some of the stadium rules that alienate a certain type of fan....

The Alan75 concern above over the Wigan game at New Year is symptomatic of where the problem lies. He states he is put off by potential drunken, lary Rovers fans but fails to recognise that many of those have already been put off by his, more sober and staid type of support. THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM AT EWOOD FOR BOTH, AND ALSO AT MANY AWAY GAMES ...there never used to be an either/or over supporting nor needs there be now.... definatley something for Rovers fans to take forward

349267[/snapback]

Spot on.

Its a good job that Alan 75 isnt a HSV fan today - Bittberger have just provided their fans with 10,000 litres of free beer, to celebrate beating FC Bayern yesterday.

Peter Scudamore of the Premier League and two Club Chairmen putting their "things are OK" spin on it.

Only the good fortune of Sunderland, West Ham and Wigan collectively having 25,000 more capacity than the grounds of Norwich, Palace and Southampton makes their claimed increase at this stage possible combined with the some of the clubs with the biggest grounds- Newcastle, Chelsea, having played 4 of their 7 games at home and I think Everton and the Mancs having an even more scewed distribution towards home fixtures.

. Going through the "Why can't I support Man Utd?" period is hard work...........but you can beat it into them eventually!!  wink.gif

The best thing is to try a game and see what his reaction is...........

349387[/snapback]

Easily solved. I told mine she supported Rovers or went to live in the garden shed. Fortunately, it was never a problem as she has always been Rovers through and through.

I took her to her first match at the age of 3. Comments ranged from "What do the players do if they want to wee during the game?" to "is this football or rugby ?"

She did have a point though. Jimmy Fryatt was built like a prop forward.

How many expected on Sat? V WBA?

Guess sub 20K

349504[/snapback]

I'd guess an extra 1000 Rovers fans will 'come back' on Saturday because of the United result. Meaning about 18,000 Rovers plus how many more WBA are taking. I wouldnt think too many due to their current form though

A telling comment from the end of the Telegraph report on Saturday's game:

"When the final whistle sounded and the boos rang out, Old Trafford was perhaps a third full after what ironically had been its most thrilling and compelling match of the season. Whatever they say about supporters being starved of the oxygen of entertainment, football is ultimately about who wins."

Last season, Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal were so far ahead that for the rest of the Prem it was a case of eeking out wins from 32 games.

Premiership clubs simply didn't win enough times to keep the supporters happy.

Perhaps there is nothing uniquely disloyal in the Rovers' support. Just that the disproportionate fall off in attendance is a function of only seeing ten league wins at Ewood across two seasons?

The disproportionate number of away wins throughout the leagues so far this season doesn't portend well for attendances on that basis.

"When the final whistle sounded and the boos rang out, Old Trafford was perhaps a third full after what ironically had been its most thrilling and compelling match of the season.

349548[/snapback]

To be fair, they did all have to get away from the ground early to catch them planes!!!

349267[/snapback]

Rubbish. Alan's comments were in the context of the thread being about whether the clubs could get together to consider offering reduced 10 pound ticket prices then some muppet enquiring whether anyone fancied (spending loads of money on) an "all dayer" thereby negating the point behind that particular initiative.

Also it is actually possible for most people to have a good deal to drink before and during a game without annoying other people or coming across as "drunken and lary" as you put it.

whilst looking at all the travelling huddersfield fans the other night (about 5000 ish)

my mate came up with a thought-provoking comment....."If all those people paid a tenner to come here & a quarter of them were kids paying 3/5 quid, altogether they`d just about cover Craig Bellamy`s wages this week!.....Only another 20-odd players to pay then! smile.gif "

...puts alot of things into perspective. huh.gif

As for people on here saying "let kids in for free or 3 quid or what-ever....maybe that`s something BRISA could 'champion'.....as alcohol & all day binges shouldn`t be part of the equation?? dry.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.