BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs Birmingham

Good to see we can grind out the wins with our defence very impressive. However, this scrappy encounter emphasises how much we need a decent ball playing central midfielder to be the focal point of our attacks - as Oklahoma has said. How much longer can we rely on a mercurial but over-the-hill Tugay?

Edited by rover6

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to Steve Bruce saying that the pen was the worst decision that he has suffered in his managerial career Alan Green has said that in his opinion Bruce is talking daft and that it WAS a stonewall case for a pen.

I certainly thought it was clear-cut. Dickov had both his arms held behind his back before the ball even got to him and continued to be held back thereafter. It was a penalty long before he took a dive to the ground.

EDIT: Must say I was surprised to get it, though. We usually don't get these sorts of decisions going our way.

Edited by James No. 7

Can anyone fill me in with the rules re kit colour clashes. How is it when we play a team whose shirts are white eg Bolton or Spurs, we have to wear our away strip. Yet Brum were allowed to wear a white shirt against us today?

355215[/snapback]

Good point Ian. Although I did comment that it was like playing poland I couldn't put my finger on the kit clash but I had a feeling something was amiss.

Post match comments relayed on the BBC World Service:

Savage: "I knew we would come good in the second half as we are much fitter than they are." (presumably he would know having so recently been a Brum player)

Bellamy: "we are such a hard working group of lads that I knew they would make two chances for me as soon as I got on."

It is great to see such confidence in their ability, stamina and work rate running through the team. Tremendous credit to Mark Hughes and his backroom team.

Once again a dodgy ref. Hate to say it but the game was effectively dominated by him.

First ten minutes there were three extremely sloppy passes- one from Gray causing Nelsen's injury as the underhit ball and a determined Heskey (who made an honest studs down ground level attempt to get a ball which was there to be got) arrived at his feet at the same time. Was unfortunate on Nelsen but not a deserved booking for Heskey.

After that, Rovers tightened up and were building up a nice head of steam when the ref proceded to make seven mistaken decisions on the run- all favouring Brum. That's what ruined the first half as a spectacle and let the seriously poor Brum have the better of it for twenty minutes- including three corners, every one of which he got wrong.

When the penalty came, it was a 50/50 incident but we were so overdue some sort of break I felt it was the least we deserved from the ref and it makes reading the post match comments from Steve Bruce all the more amusing- "the worst penalty decision I have ever seen".

From his angle on the touchline, Bruce would have seen Upson hold Dickov then put both arms round Dickov's neck and shoulders from which the wee fellow somehow lost his balance- exactly the same view as the ref had.

So a routine no-sweat victory against the BIG CLUB who played as badly as their 19th place deserves.

Savage was more subdued than I expected but his tenacity combined with sublime passing from Tugay was the difference between the two sides in midfield. MGP had another quiet game whilst Bentley had me wishing for Emerton who didn't disappoint when he came on.

Dickov and Kuqui are not the quality we need unfortunately for all their pressing and discomforting of the opposition central defenders. Dickov's two misses at the end of the first half and the snatched volley wide when unmarked at the start of the second half were seriously bad.

Bellamy is at another level and although he got his fair share of criticism at previous clubs for not being a natural finisher, the difference between the way he handled being put through on goal and the way Dickov handled his one-on-one opportunity was immense.

The side footed push was the same but look how much closer Bellamy took it to Taylor and how he forced Taylor into moving before he struck.

A very quietly satisfying lunchtime. The stone cold look of anger on Gold's face in the stand spells BIG TROUBLE at the BIG CLUB.

6.50pm

Tune into 5 live NOW.  In response to Steve Bruce saying that the pen was the worst decision that he has suffered in his managerial career Alan Green has said that in his opinion Bruce is talking daft and that it WAS a stonewall case for a pen.  Green is now asking for BRFC fans to call in with their views.

355213[/snapback]

Bruce is just trying to divert attention from the real facts of the game - Brum were dire.

Pen or no pen, their performance got what it merited, absolutely nothing. Reminds me of the Hodgson days, always the refs fault.

Now there's a debate on the Arsenal penalty fiasco. Somebody called 'Jim' (hmm) has called in to say that Blackburn did the very same in the 60's.

It was perpetrated by Mike Ferguson and Bryan Douglas v recently Ex Rovers keeper Fred Else playing for Barrow (or Workington) in the League Cup. Difference is that we scored on that occasion. thumbs-up.gif

Delighted. I thought we played really well in the second half, and good value for the win. Brum might have had some pressure, but no real chances other than the one save Friedel made low to his right from Butt.

Dickov missed an absolute sitter for me, he should have scored, and a top quality striker would have. He worked hard though and I commend him for that.

Kuqi knocked the ball down so many times and so many flick ons which someone like Bellamy can make use of, but that miss from Kuqi in the second half was poor just like against West Brom.

Khizanishvili is brilliant at the back. Todd didnt fill me with much confidence. Though Neill was very good again and Micky too. Savage was brilliant running around. Tugay possibly a bit below par and Bentley didnt cause them any trouble really.

Hopefully another win on Wednesday cause Saturday we might be put back to the ground. smile.gif

Now there's a debate on the Arsenal penalty fiasco.  Somebody called 'Jim' (hmm) has called in to say that Blackburn did the very same in the 60's. 

It was perpetrated by Mike Ferguson and Bryan Douglas v recently Ex Rovers keeper Fred Else playing for Barrow (or Workington) in the League Cup.  Difference is that we scored on that occasion. thumbs-up.gif

355225[/snapback]

I was there smile.gif . Surprised you weren't.

I loved the game today!

great performance, had to get up super early for a Saturday (7:30) to watch it and it was well worth it.

Dissapointed a little with the attendance but all in all a good 3 points.

355240[/snapback]

Performance was much better in the second half...I think a few ears may have been bashed at half time!

As for the attendance...woefull!

If I am willing to eat beans on toast for tea for the rest of the month,

get up at 0600hrs,

start driving at 0730hrs for 4 hours to watch a 90minute football game, and then drive back annother 4 hours

then why can those who live in the town or close by bother?

yes ticket prices are high, (we are still one of the cheapest in the prem!)

and the press would have us belive that the matches are boring...(tosh! OK first half was VVV poor but even then it was entertaining in so far as it frustrated the hell out of me! We are ment to be fans for f***'s sake, FAN short for FANATIC)

mabee the matches would be better if we filled the stadium so that the manager didn't have to gee the players up at half time telling them that those who did pitch up do care.

I've been in a Ewood Park that was packed to the rafters... the atmosphere was phenonimal, so good even the dingles started smiling! The team gave 100% from the start and win lose or draw we knew it was pure effort and we yes at one point we were know for quote "regardless of the result...the matches at Ewood Park are the most enterting week in week out!"

yes the managers job is to motivate the team...but then again who would be motivated if only 66% od the stadium was full...and mostly silent, Its a poor do when its the ref generating the most noise out of the fans!

pipe dream possibly but hey we can all dream!

List of emotions ought to be felt at every match;

smile.gifmad.gifohmy.giflaugh.gifcool.gif

Looking foward to going to the game tmoz, despite the early wake up, coming from uni in Stoke on trent  rolleyes.gif

I think we will win this game and continue our good form! rover.gif

Rovers 2-0 B'ham

Nelson and Bellamy  rover.gif

355091[/snapback]

Dont wanna brag here (whilst cheekly quoting himself tongue.gif ), but almost spot on. I got the scoreline correct, 1 goal scorer and the crowd basically right also!

A very bad first half, in which the only decent moments came right at the end of the half. Have to amit tho, i dont think ive ever seen anybody miss a chance when they've been that far through on goal tho ohmy.gif !

Bellamy is a touch of class and defo garantee's goals, what a bargain at £4m. I though the defense were superb today and hopefully 5 wins in 6 against leeds in mid-week before being brought back to earth again chels!

Dont wanna brag here (whilst cheekly quoting himself  tongue.gif ), but almost spot on. I got the scoreline correct, 1 goal scorer and the crowd basically right also!

A very bad first half, in which the only decent moments came right at the end of the half. Have to amit tho, i dont think ive ever seen anybody miss a chance when they've been that far through on goal tho  ohmy.gif !

Bellamy is a touch of class and defo garantee's goals, what a bargain at £4m. I though the defense were superb today and hopefully 5 wins in 6 against leeds in mid-week before being brought back to earth again chels!

355263[/snapback]

well done!

have a gold star

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.