BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid Can't Shoot

Hello all,

SURELY I'm not the only person to have noticed this. Reidy (who looks like one of the werewolves from "Dog Soldiers") couldn't hit a donkey's arse with a banjo. I know I'm going to get a trillion replies of "Didn't you see his goal at Wigan?!?", but that's ONCE, from an absolutely frightening number of shots - A great deal of them when we're enjoying good possesion.

And he was Man of the Match against Bolton??? Em...What???

Please don't just flame this post, but let me know if you share my frustration. Blackburn really could be a good side, but there are just one or two players who simply aren't good enough, and I'm quite willing to name names:

Steven Reid

Michael Gray

Andy Todd

Shefki Kuqi

I was a bit dissapointed with the normally tactically-sound Hughes in the game against Bolton - It was crying out for Tugay to open up the Boring Bolton defence, but we stuck with the Mighty Reid so he could lash the ball into the stand a few times.

Let the flaming/swearing/ranting begin.

Cheers,

Spence

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven Reid

Michael Gray

Andy Todd

Shefki Kuqi

374655[/snapback]

Strange choices. All of those have been excellent in some games recently, and I would say only really Kuqi lacks genuine quality in his position.The other three are not world class but sill more than decent.

Reid was good against Bolton, he drives and drive, gets the tackles in, moves the ball around. He was the one player, apart from Bellamy when he came on, who looked to consistently hurt Bolton by running at them.

I do agree that we could have done with Tugay (I would of taken off Savage myself) and that Reid is not a great long range shooter. But to suggest he isn't good enough for the team is ludicrous.

Im kinda impressed with Reid's in the centre of midfield against Bolton, his powerful and driving runs. Top draw!

But his shooting... was rather horrid. Yes, he may have scored a blinder in the previous game. But how many times have we seen him scoring from similar positions. Just once.. After shots after shots..

Give these shots to Gerrard or Lampard...we could have "raped" Bolton. But im not complaining. Reid deserve the MOM last night still. cool.gif

Apart from free kicks Reids shooting has been poor. He got lucky at wigan and now I am regretting it. We would have been better winning 2-0 and not having to suffer these awful repeat attempts on goal.

two words of advice for him.........

1. Just like hitting a golf ball, dont try to hit em as hard and they will travel faster with more accuracy. Reid is trying to repeat a 'wigan' at every attempt.

2. Practice at Brockhall (every afternoon after training if you want it bad enough Reidy) and not at Ewood.

Strange thing about our team spirit. After his 3rd attempt he would have been cricified by his team mates at Chelsea and MU (not to mention the manangers) whereas our lot simply shrug their shoulders and get back into position, (Bellamy excepted of course).

I think that I'd have been justified in saying it if even one of his shots had been within 10 feet of the target! And especially so when teammates were in good positions.

btw Points 1 and 2 should be obligatory reading for him and the rest of the squad.

Very diplomatic and very correct jbn. I suspect Spencey is suffering from delusions of grandeur - if we were challenging for the title, the players you mention might well be weak links, but we're mid-table with an outside chance of Europe. What did we pay for those 4 : less than 4 million I think? And I doubt their combined wages are crippling in the football/Rovers scheme of things.

I'm no Gray fan, but would say he's been excellent against Wigan and MU, and Todd was excellent against MU. Yep Reidy is a bit keen on shooting since Wigan, resulted in the winner against Portsmouth if I remember right. If there was an obvious pass on and he shoots instead by all means have a gripe but more often than not there isn't. I'd prefer to see him running past two or three midfielders/defenders and having a pop rather than see Bert poncing about beating a defender then going back for another go before losing the ball/getting a throw in/crossing into the BE.

IMHO without a drastic re-vamp for almost the entire team (which ain't going to happen), there's only one way we'll finish much higher than where we are now - an expensive partner for Bellamy (and some magic liniment for Bellamy's hamstrings - apols, that's two ways). On the funds from sub-20k crowds make your own mind up how likely that is. So get used to who we have now.

On the funds from sub-20k crowds make your own mind up how likely that is.  So get used to who we have now.

374725[/snapback]

Good points Neil, but I am rather hoping that this current clearing out of dead wood is loosening the pursetrings somewhat. Experience since Souey was appointed tells me that it does seem David Browns style.

psssst..............anybody got a horses head handy?

Edited by thenodrog

As the old saying goes, wou don't buy a ticket you don't win the raffle! There was very little movement upfront yesterday and this added to a packed bolton defence Reidy had no other oprions sometimes other than to shoot. Apart from his shooting i thought he had a great game yesterday and made many bursting runs that tried to keep bolton on the back foot when the rest of the team where happy to play at a slow tempo. As for the other 3 who apparently let the team down, Todd has been superb particularly for the last 2 games, Gray has been excellent since coming back into the team and as long as he is keeping Matteo out of the team he is doing a great job! Although Kuqi may have very little quality he always gives 100% and is a handful even if his finishing and passing is a little frustrating at times. We have had eough players at Rovers in the past who couldn't be arsed trying at least Kuqi has that.

Poor shooting from Dickov yesterday though smile.gif

That goal he almost (?) scored in the 1st half would've been fantastic, made the Chelsea-bound ( rolleyes.gif ) Ben Haim look like a schoolboy, before blasting the ball around 10m outside the post.

I think thenodrog sums it up in his earlier post, he tries too hard. 100% power no matter what, towards the goal.

Edited by herbergeehh

Surprised anyone bothered replying to this thread, my initial reaction was "spence is obviously a dingle on a wind up"

Todd, Reid and Gray are three of our better players.

Kuqi isn't really good enough at this level, (nor is Dickov) but usually neither want for effort or commitment.

Surprised anyone bothered replying to this thread, my initial reaction was "spence is obviously a dingle on a wind up"

Todd, Reid and Gray are three of our better players.

Kuqi isn't really good enough at this level, (nor is Dickov) but usually neither want for effort or commitment.

374863[/snapback]

Mmmm, possibly Rev. I thought Reidy looked most likely yesterday made some nice strong runs through the middle, I thought he did good.

Mmmm, possibly Rev.  I thought Reidy looked most likely yesterday made some nice strong runs through the middle, I thought he did good.

374865[/snapback]

He played well apart from the fact he left his shooting boots at the JJB.

The only thing he looked like he lacked yesterday was a bit of confidence. Before the sending off he was playing far too deep and only attempted his trademark surging runs (which is when he is most effective) once Notlob were down to ten.

Reid seems to be coming on very nicely. I feel that this is the best we have seen of him thus far. Some nice strong midfield play yesterday. Let's keep encouraging him and hopefully we'll see more results. A good effort and improvement so far this season. tinykit.gif

It bewilders me.

Is it to do with age, or am I the only one who can't see why people can suggest Dickov isn't Prem standard, but Reid is? Effort yes, but no guile, flair, creativity or skill. Makes little use of the pace available to him as well. Yesterday we saw how f*cked we are when Tugs retires, and anyone who thinks Reid is the answer....

Well, we'll rediscuss it during the play off charge.....

It bewilders me.

Is it to do with age, or am I the only one who can't see why people can suggest Dickov isn't Prem standard, but Reid is? Effort yes, but no guile, flair, creativity or skill. Makes little use of the pace available to him as well. Yesterday we saw how f*cked we are when Tugs retires, and anyone who thinks Reid is the answer....

Well, we'll rediscuss it during the play off charge.....

374880[/snapback]

WHo put a bee in your bonnet? Anybody would think we havn't gone seven games unbeaten, be in a semi final which is still very winnable, played some excellent football and moved into the top half of the table.

Reid is a decent if unspectacular player who would look at home in 15 of the 20 Premiership sides. Indeed the likes of Brum, Newcastle, Everton, VIlla are all crying out for a player of his tenacity and power.

Tugay is an important player for us but I wouldn't say we depended upon him. We can win games without him, we just don't look as pretty doing it. A creative midfielder is required for the future but why all the slagging off? Hughes and the players are doing a fine job at the moment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.