SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Theo Walcott

M-K

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter madness from Eriksson. What more can Darren Bent do (other than sign for a more glitzy club)?

After posting this I fully expect to be eating humle pie in a few weeks time. smile.gif

406066[/snapback]

Exactly what I've been screaming at anyone who would listen to me at work today.

If Darren Bent was sat on the Arsenal bench, and Theo Walcott had scored 20+ goals for Charlton this season, who do you think Eriksson would have picked?

Absolutely bloody joke.

I've never heard such utter drivel! You know the amount of rubbish spouted about young players by the media- sure we have heard about walcotts mental strength from his manager, from his mates at Southampton- they have a £12 million price tag to justify!!

There is one main way to pick your England squad and that is through watching players at the highest level and trying them in friendlies.  To think that after all the time Sven has been watching games this season he picks a player he has never seen, has scored 5 goals in 23 starts at Championship level, it really can't be justified, not even by your attention seeking mind rover6!

406099[/snapback]

That's nonsense and you will know it by the end of the summer.

Sure, maybe Bent deserved a call but in my mind the Walcott inclusion is a fantastic choice by Sven.

Sven is taking Walcott as his trump card. He's taking him as an impact substitute and with his pace, he will do just that. Apart from Rooney, who have we got up front who has the ability to run with the ball? Walcott can do that and will also provide an option on the wing.

Darren Bent is a target man forward not a skilful player. Jermain Defoe is a rubbish substitute who needs solid games to hit top form. It makes sense to take Walcott.

Bravo Sven for not going for 'safe' option for once.

Edited by rover6

Well done Shillito- I bow to your superior foresight.

Just out of interest, unlike SGE, have you ever seen Walcott playing in the flesh?

406076[/snapback]

I've only ever seen him play two full games to be honest, and it was at a time when Saints were drawing every week but he did look like a player with alot of potential.

I was expecting him to have made an impact in the PL when I suggested he could be in the squad, but one thing I would say is, Arsene Wenger is the manager I admire and respect the most in the world, and if he can honestly say that this player can go to a WC and make a positive impact, then that's all I need to hear.

Wenger gains nothing but a broken kid if he goes and disgraces himself, or isn't up to it.

That's nonsense and you will know it by the end of the summer.

Sure, maybe Bent deserved a call but in my mind the Walcott inclusion is a fantastic choice by Sven.

Sven is taking Walcott as his trump card. He's taking him as an impact substitute and with his pace, he will do just that. Apart from Rooney, who have we got up front who has the ability to run with the ball? Walcott can do that and will also provide an option on the wing.

Darren Bent is a target man forward not a skilful player. Jermain Defoe is a rubbish substitute who needs solid games to hit top form. It makes sense to take Walcott.

Bravo Sven for not going for 'safe' option for once.

406121[/snapback]

What is nonsense? That you should try players in friendlies based on merit as opposed to picking 17 year olds with no experience who you have never seen play!?!

Walcott will have no impact whatsoever! World class defenders will simply p iss their pants laughing and knock him straight off the ball. The player that needs to come in off the bench should be in the mould of Peter Crouch. Bringing on a pacey little man upfront for the last 20 will simply not work- you are in fact saying the same thing when you say Defoe is no good as a sub.

And how on earth do you know Defoe is no good coming off the bench? Because you have seen him play in the premiership!! Walcott shud not even be being mentioned! Lennon showed enough in his games to be included, but to include a player such as Walcott is ridiculous, Sven has stepped way over the line!

Darren Bent is unlucky to not even be a stand-by but is he really going to offer that much different from Owen and Rooney?

He has the ability to walk without cruches, that sets him apart from those two right now wink.gif

Wenger has said that Walcott is ready - why shouldn't we believe him?

If Wenger thinks he is ready, why doesn't he play him?

I think that Walcott has been taken to give England the surprise element. I don't think he is going to be in the first team if Owen and Rooney aren't fit - I think the back up players will still be ahead of him.

He will be sat on the bench - and be introduced late on to help swing matches.

Though he hasn't played many matches this season - and none in the Premiership - lets not forget the last 17 yr old to break into the England team - Owen didn't turn out too bad (if I remember he hadn't played that many matches for Liverpool either).

What it shows - is that beyond Owen and Rooney we are struggling for anything special up front. It is a huge shame - we actually have one of the best midfields in the world - one of the better defences, a goal keeper who I would rate in the top five in the world - but struggle for genuine top quality strikers.

I think that Walcott has been taken to give England the surprise element. I don't think he is going to be in the first team if Owen and Rooney aren't fit - I think the back up players will still be ahead of him.

He will be sat on the bench - and be introduced late on to help swing matches.

Though he hasn't played many matches this season - and none in the Premiership - lets not forget the last 17 yr old to break into the England team - Owen didn't turn out too bad (if I remember he hadn't played that many matches for Liverpool either).

What it shows - is that beyond Owen and Rooney we are struggling for anything special up front. It is a huge shame - we actually have one of the best midfields in the world - one of the better defences, a goal keeper who I would rate in the top five in the world - but struggle for genuine top quality strikers.

406144[/snapback]

Beattie, Bent, Ashton, Defoe, even Harewood would go in place of Walcott in my book. Having said that I'm not smart enough to wrangle a £4-5m a year contract for one of the easiest jobs in the world wink.gif

Why should Ericsson give a toss?  He's been fired rem?

As far as the squad he must be nuts not to take Bent before Andy Johnston.  If Crouch gets hurt early doors or suffers a loss of form we have no 'back to goal' replacement should certain tactics require it.  One proper target men and a load of midgets is farcical!  Crikey everybody and their mother knows BRFC need a big feller up front and the England situation is just the same.

406069[/snapback]

Crouch is utter @#/? at the target man role; he has no strength, athleticism or size (he's a flimsy beanpole!). He can't even jump to win a header for ######'s sake! Beattie is clearly the man for that job, but then again he doesn't play for one of the glitzy clubs does he wink.gif

He has the ability to walk without cruches, that sets him apart from those two right now wink.gif

If Wenger thinks he is ready, why doesn't he play him?

406138[/snapback]

Because Arsenal have Henry, Van Persie and Reyes - who would be in the England squad if they were English.

Furthermore, Wenger has next season to plan for. Sven has not got the next world cup to prepare.

And how on earth do you know Defoe is no good coming off the bench?

Because he's not. Why has he struggled to dislodge Keane and Mido, when those two were fit? What has he done for England coming off the bench? I don't deny that Defoe is a superb player but in the circumstances of needing an impact sub - Walcott will prove to be a better choice.

Edited by rover6

And how on earth do you know Defoe is no good coming off the bench? Because you have seen him play in the premiership!! 

406135[/snapback]

Defoe always used to score against us when he came off the bench!

Just as an aside Defoe may not be the most prolific striker but he is the best and most consistent striker of a ball. His ability to 'middles' so many of his shots at goal is excellent.

If Walcott was regarded as the best prospect in English football and played for rovers reserves, would he be going to the world cup?

406160[/snapback]

Yes definitely!

but only on the p1ss with his mates. wink.gif

If Walcott was regarded as the best prospect in English football and played for rovers reserves, would he be going to the world cup?

406160[/snapback]

When was the last time that we paid £12m for a player to sit in the reserves?

I'm excited by this news - I truly believe it's a silly move - but it will make the World Cup a little more interesting (not that it needs it) in my non-English opinion. To be fair, I don't think we'll see Bent score more than ten next season, and with the exception of pace I don't think the world of his overall ability. I might be wrong though, for once.

"Pace will be important in the World Cup" - Eriksson

Defoe's pretty quick isn't he?

Herb - looking forward to seeing Walcott playing with Premiership players for the first time in Germany.

Drop Walcott for Defoe, drop Jenas for Bent and Hargreaves for SWP, now that would be an exciting, attacking squad!

406110[/snapback]

You propose we bring Wright-Phillips in and have a squad with three right midfielders? huh.gif

I agree with most of the people on here. If anything happens to Crouch, or he doesn't perform, then we have nobody to aim for, nobody that can hold it up and win it in the air. What a slap in the face for Darren Bent. I wonder what more he can do...

When was the last time that we paid £12m for a player to sit in the reserves?

406174[/snapback]

Give or take a few mill, if we add Grabbi's wages onto his transfer fee, probably about 3 years ago.

My friend is a devoted Hammers fan and he doesn't think Ashton is the finished article by a long shot. He laughes at me when I suggest we give Ashton a call. You got to admit, he's only had half a season in the prem.

Fair enough, I only know what I've seen of highlights when it comes to Ashton. But Darren Bent hasn't had more than a season in the Prem either, and Walcott hasn't played a bloody match yet! biggrin.gif

Ashton has a year playing for Norwich btw, so basically he's the more experienced of the three.. smile.gif

SWP has showed why he isn't included all year, hasn't he?

Didn't think about the target man tactic at all when I wrote the last post, if having a big man upfront is that important I'd rather give Dean Ashton a call..

406191[/snapback]

At least all these players we are saying arent good enough have played games and given it their best shot... they are all more proven, more experienced. What Im trying to say is that we know what SWP, Bent etc can do! Gambles of this magnitude are for friendlies, if Sven ever used them England might have stood a chance! The man has been a disgrace throughout his career and i can't wait to see the back of him!

Then again, if Walcott could score just one important goal - not to mention breaking through as one of the tournaments big surprises, Sven would be the Special One for a few months - he can't really get less popular in England anyway wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.