BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Theo Walcott

M-K

Regardless of whether Theo Walcott is the next Wayne Rooney or just another Jermaine Pennant, this transfer saga pretty much sums up what's wrong with football.

Southampton find and develop an excellent prospect, and the fans have every right to be looking forward to seeing a player who might get them promoted and form the basis of a decent side.

But thanks to the power of money and its agents, the only reason Walcott ever turned out in a Southampton shirt was to put him in the shop window. There was no chance of him ever playing more than a handful of games there - he was put in the team simply to prove to the Big Boys that he was as good as the Southampton PR machine said he was.

Job done. So what's the point of a club like Southampton even existing? If this happened to Blackburn, I can't imagine ever going to a game again.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that the kid doesnt doesnt move from the Saints. I mean we got to see 7 yrs of Duff before he moved on to bigger things, Walcott hasnt even played 6 months for them. He is a wonderful player and i would hope that he would show a sense of loyalty and stay at least to the summer! It would better his development staying there rather than hanging around in a prem teams reserves! tinykit.gif

He would be better coming to rovers on loan - We could improve him game, alongside Bellamy he would be deadly

375224[/snapback]

Hmm...

either Hughesy has developed a sense of irony or it's just one of his normal posts. I suspect the latter to be honest, but I live in hope.

Not sure about this comment: "But thanks to the power of money and its agents, the only reason Walcott ever turned out in a Southampton shirt was to put him in the shop window.". Walcott has done more than enough to justify a regular starting place, especially when you consider who the other options are...don't forget their main strikers from last season departed in the summer.

Edited by LeChuck

Regardless of whether Theo Walcott is the next Wayne Rooney or just another Jermaine Pennant, this transfer saga pretty much sums up what's wrong with football.

375211[/snapback]

I haven't seen this kid play, I only know he exists through the Chelsea/Arsenal interest but I would agree 100% with the sentiment. It really is quite obscene to consider paying £12-15 million for an unproved 16 year-old. OK perhaps he's playing well at the moment but he is still a potential Jermaine Pennant. If I was a Saints fan I'd be furious. There should be some regulation requiring young players developed by a club to stay until they are 20/21 or so.

Ridiculous.

Well, I would guess that the guy is going to be an absolute superstar. Wenger is one of the best pickers of talent in the world and if he is willing to pay 12-15 million then he must be absolutely certain.

Plus it is not just Arsenal's opinion, five premiership clubs including CHelsea have been sniffing around. If he is not an England squad regular in four years I will eat my right leg.

As for the rule thing, you cannot restrict the movement of labour. It is his talent and he is his own free individual, he isn't an indentured servant. He, like all of us, can work where he damn well likes. It would be nice for players to show loyalty but that is up to them, it is not somethingto be forced upon them. (and anyway, if he didn't want to stay he would just throw a wobbly until eventually they had to let him go).

There should be some regulation requiring young players developed by a club to stay until they are 20/21 or so.

Ridiculous.

375273[/snapback]

In which case we may have missed out on players like McEveley, Duff and Peter.

Snatching youngsters from other clubs goes on and I don't think you can criticize Arsenal more than you can criticize Blackburn or any other club.

I don't know the accuracy of reports but apparently a couple of years ago Rovers shelled out a huge amount, which could escalate into millions depending on first team appearances, for a 13/14 year old from Oldham called James Tarkowski.

I haven't heard anything about him since but he's on this squad list. Tarkowski at the bottom of the page

I agree, it is obscene but Arsenal and Man U aren't the only ones.

Southampton end up selling Walcott for £10m. This money goes into paying the club's debts and possibly half into buying new players. Que exodus of senior players stating that Southampton are not ambitious enough, they languish in the Championship for several years before finally tumbling down the divisions.

Would make me a happy man. Wupert "Trekkie" Lowe is a muppet.

Not sure about this comment: "But thanks to the power of money and its agents, the only reason Walcott ever turned out in a Southampton shirt was to put him in the shop window.".  Walcott has done more than enough to justify a regular starting place, especially when you consider who the other options are...don't forget their main strikers from last season departed in the summer.

375264[/snapback]

I didn't mean he hasn't justified his place, but it could be counter-productive to play him. They have this excellent striker who they'll be allowed to use for maybe a handful of games, and then he'll be gone. The team will be much weaker because of the void he leaves behind, and even if they could afford a replacement of equal quality, there's no chance of attracting that sort of player.

What if we had the next Maradona at Blackburn, the team started to look like a Champions League side with him in it, and then his agent effectively said 'get ready to kiss him goodbye'? We'd never be able to replace him, and the transfer fee would be no consolation to the average supporter.

Edited by M-K

I can't really see the problem.

If this lad does move to the Arse for 12m it represents an exceptional piece for Southampton, after all he may not even make it at the top level.

It may well represent an exceptional piece of business for Arsenal if he turns out to be another Rooney or Henry.

Southampton are under no obligation whatsever to sell. And if the lad has any sense he'll learn his trade where he is for a couple of seasons. Although I l'd wager for 12m Rupert already has the car engine revving up.

And any attempts to compare our situation with Southampton are well wide of the mark. We are a reasonably well established Premiership Club. There are only 3 or 4 domestic clubs that represent any significant advancement career wise. A move to ANY Premiership side would be a big move financially for Walcott.

I think that the move could be too much too soon for the young lad, He's 16 years old and only played a hand-full of professional matches. Yes he does look a good talent but ffs give the lad a chance to develop at a lower level before either Arsenal or Chelsea sign him, bench him for a months on end an leave the young lad languishing in the reverses.

I know Arsene wenger has a good track record of signing and maturing yuongsters into great players but at 16 i just feel it could eb detrimental to his development. Now i know people are going to come on here and say, " if he's good enough, he's old enough" which in some aspects i agree with but i just feel he should be at least given the rest of this season to prove himself before some team pays a ridiculous amount for him.

But on the flipside, could he not have a better mentor than Thierry Henry!!! biggrin.gif

I can't really see the problem.

If this lad does move to the Arse for 12m it represents an exceptional piece for Southampton, after all he may not even make it at the top level.

It may well represent an exceptional piece of business for Arsenal if he turns out to be another Rooney or Henry.

375443[/snapback]

Glad to hear romance is as alive and well among supporters as it is among chairmen.

Oh come on. Surely to god a club as big as Arsenal with hundreds of thousand of supporters would not risk £12m on a kid that 'may not even make it at the top level'. I'd say he's nearly made it now, and he's 16years old and been playing footie for a only a couple of years ago.

I wonder how much they will pay him - I bet his parents are relieved because now he will be able to afford his own Scouts and swimming club subs.

Surely to god a club as big as Arsenal with hundreds of thousand of supporters would not risk £12m on a kid that 'may not even make it at the top level'.

375779[/snapback]

The kid's been in the media mainly due to his pace. Looking at his stats they are on apar with grabbi!

Stats

5 goals in 22 games, hardly world beating for a first division striker! But who knows, if he stays injury free and keeps his pace £12mil maybe a bargain.

The kid's been in the media mainly due to his pace. Looking at his stats they are on apar with grabbi!

Stats

5 goals in 22 games, hardly world beating for a first division striker! But who knows, if he stays injury free and keeps his pace £12mil maybe a bargain.

375783[/snapback]

Yeah at least we've heard of Theo Walcott. Arsenal probably aren't going to sign him just because he scored a 'good goal' in the Italiano Minto Goalio Video 1996.

Exactly! He is an excellent talent, he may as well make use of the opportunities he has been given. Although the fans at Southampton will not be very happy at all, if they get £15m for a 16 year old then that is very good business for the academy/team in general. At the age of 15 Southampton were offered £2m for him, not a bad increase!

Of the big clubs I think Arsenal would be best for his development - they are good with bringing their young players through, and to play with such excellent players can only help him

Yeah at least we've heard of Theo Walcott. Arsenal probably aren't going to sign him just because he scored a 'good goal' in the Italiano Minto Goalio Video 1996.

375787[/snapback]

Walcott wasn't on that video, so Grabbi is 1-0 up there! tongue.gif

and i'd guess Souness has seen Walcott play so thats 1-1!

Hefty Price tag, alot to live up to! If Henry stays he will do better than if he goes to spain in the summer. Southampton should be over the moon at the wadge of money they are getting for him, even if he turns out to be a wonderboy!

Edited by modes98

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.