BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Club Up For Sale?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list Darren Gough as a Spurs fan, I know he supports Barnsley and has even worked as a commentator on some of their matches.

388014[/snapback]

If I had a list with both Bryan Adams and Phil Collins on it I'd be ashamed to publish it....

this is just a bit of pre-match ######-stirring.

387980[/snapback]

That's exactly how I read it. Couldn't care less who Bohse supports.

The only way you could realistically say things had "turned sour" is if the relationship between the Rovers Board and the Trustees had broken down.

Which is certainly not the case from all available indications.

The only genuine cause for concern would be if there is indeed a club "source" leaking damaging (and generally inacurate) rumours of this nature.

Has the Tony Parkes "mole" resurfaced again? huh.gif

He's in this list of "famous" Spurs supporters.

For such a well-regarded journalist, he got three facts (gates, loss and ownership) wrong in a three paragraph article.

388007[/snapback]

Philip, are you intentionally being naive here? A respected journalist has no obligation to be accurate. Just to sell papers and impress his "peers" with fancy dan scribe styles and sensationalism.

If the article is true, and they do want to sell, its not a bad thing really. When people say that there would be nobody interested, that is not exactly true. Premiership football clubs do not come on the market every week and we have a good squad, the team has potential and unlike many clubs the new potential owners would not be inheriting tons of debt. An example of that would be if somebody was to buy Manchester City, they are reportadly 70m in debt. Their debt isn't actually as bad as that figure sounds and is no threat to the side as the debt is well structured.

I'd love it to be a fan who bought the club but if it where to be some mega-rich Russian or some Sheikh i would not be complaining. As fr those people who are having a go at that Russian who has bought Pompey, saying that he has only bought mercenries, that is not true, Harry Redknapp has bought those players not the Russian. He chose to buy them.

Can you just imagine what Mark Hughes could do with a large transfer kitty, the man has an eye for talent and knows a good player when he see's one.

I for one will always be grateful for what Mr Jack Walker did for us fans and for the club he loved so much but there comes a point when we have to move on. tinykit.gif

I have to say dream on.

The likelihood of anybody other than the JWT putting £6m a year into Rovers, year in year out, let alone funding a transfer spree is as great as Burnley making it into the play-offs this season.

Ironic anybody?

388005[/snapback]

This may well be a bit boring for everybody, but One Post wanted me to substatiate why I found it ironic that he called Mr Boise a 'poo stirrer'. He sent me a PM about it and was very upset.

A good example is in the recent thread where an American poster suggested making his own kit.

By the way, isn't it great that we have all these American soccer fanatics now, monitoring the progress of the famous blue and white half stripes. I too can't wait to see if we progress into the "Champions play".

How long is it till Brad retires?

Pointless antagonism against his own fans? I would define that as looking to cause unnecessary trouble.

And to JansenPrestyWales defence of Friedel in a different thread he, without provocation, threw in a:

Do you have to be really 'ard to live on Stone Island?

And when Flopsy accused him of being sarcastic (nothing more or less) he replied:

What exactly are the credentials to be a moderator? It's obviously not a grasp of English nor an understanding of the game of football.

Where's the sarcasm that you refer to?

All of which strikes me as looking for a bit of an argument, hence the comment which I think is justified.

Anyhow, compared to the abuse that is handed out around here on a regular basis, including by Onepost himself (he sent me a very colourful and amusing second PM), it is pretty small beer.

How much is the club worth I wonder?

Does anybody have a logical estimate?

388140[/snapback]

Forgive my ignorance, but...

First off, do Rovers own Ewood or is it owned by Blackburn and leased? Second, the team budget is roughly 15 million pounds in salary this year? How much are the training grounds worth?

I'd presume the team is probably in the realm of 50-70m pounds if I had to guess. That's based on some rough estimates based on US sports franchise costs.

Hell, the lottery was at 256 million USD last week here. If I win, I'LL buy the Rovers. =P

This may well be a bit boring for everybody, but One Post wanted me to substatiate why I found it ironic that he called Mr Boise a 'poo stirrer'. He sent me a PM about it and was very upset.

A good example is in the recent thread where an American poster suggested making his own kit.

Pointless antagonism against his own fans? I would define that as looking to cause unnecessary trouble.

And to JansenPrestyWales defence of Friedel in a different thread he, without provocation, threw in a:

And when Flopsy accused him of being sarcastic (nothing more or less) he replied:

All of which strikes me as looking for a bit of an argument, hence the comment which I think is justified.

Anyhow, compared to the abuse that is handed out around here on a regular basis, including by Onepost himself (he sent me a very colourful and amusing second PM), it is pretty small beer.

388172[/snapback]

Mihir BOSE is seeking to discredit BRFC so I, in response, looked to undermine his reputation.

The people that you are defending didn't exactly greet me with open arms did they?

We also definitely have different opinions on what constitutes being a "fan". Shooting the breeze on here or actually getting down to a game. Also, the chap from Texas who you are defending wants to put something like "spill blood for the Rovers" on his camouflage jacket...............I NEVER antagonise real fans.

And if by your use of the word "colourful" you are suggesting that I used profanity.................well, that's not true is it?

A college year out in America doesn't automatically make you a "smart" person does it?

Edited by OnePost

And if by your use of the word "colourful" you are suggesting that I used profanity.................well, that's not true is it?

A college year out in America doesn't automatically make you a "smart" person does it?

388188[/snapback]

I never suggested that a college year in america makes me a smart person, the standard is almost identical to Britain. Indeed, I am not sure that university affects 'smartness' at all.

The reason I brough it up is because you were busy insulting me as if I was American. I thought if you wanted to insult me you might as well be accurate about it.

And I meant colourful as in varied and bizarre.

Forgive my ignorance, but...

First off, do Rovers own Ewood or is it owned by Blackburn and leased?  Second, the team budget is roughly 15 million pounds in salary this year?  How much are the training grounds worth?

I'd presume the team is probably in the realm of 50-70m pounds if I had to guess.  That's based on some rough estimates based on US sports franchise costs.

Hell, the lottery was at 256 million USD last week here.  If I win, I'LL buy the Rovers. =P

388184[/snapback]

The club owns its ground, its training ground (several acres of developable prime estate), an indoor training centre and the land around the ground including the site of the club shop outright. Historic book value of fixed assets is over £40m.

Turnover £41m last year (about the same this year- greater prize money offset by decrease in gates and League Cup semi-final less valuable than reaching the FA Cup semi-final). Wages £31m. EBITDA about £9m, Operating Profit £1m (so cash positive last season), loss after tax and player trading £5m. Figures are after receiving the annual £3m gift and discretionary £3m loan advance from the Walker Trust.

I haven't looked them up so my memory might be slightly wrong on some of the numbers.

I'd expect if the JWT were selling, they would want the current valuation of fixed assets (perhaps £50m?) plus a premium for the Premiership "franchise"- say another £15m. But they would want assurances that the investor would support the club in the event of relegation and evidence that they would be willing to invest net more than the £6m a year they are putting in.

My guess is that the Trust has pretty high commitment and propriety hurdles stipulated by the Settlement. After all Gaidumuk has probable plopped £50m down the Pompey already and I bet they looked around the Prem before going to that dump.

I doubt there is anyone around who both has the cash, commitment willingness and the background to satisfy the terms of the Trust deed.

Edited by philipl

So basically we're in decent financial shape, but would really suffer if the Walker Trust ditched us.

388212[/snapback]

But they won't 'ditch' us in terms of selling to anyone making an offer. Anyone making an offer would be thoroughly investigated before it is even considered, including long-term plans and ability to see them through.

And how often do we read something in the tabloid press we think is total bull and find out later it was spot on? More often than you give them credit for.

How do we know Jordan is telling the truth? Because he's writing an article as well?

Edited by American

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.