BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham City 2-1 Rovers

Weve been utter tripe since the spurs game, thats fact.

Correct.

I'm pleased that in his press conference after the match Mark Hughes didn't try to defend Wednesday night's disgraceful performance. I was disgusted with the lack of drive, desire and passion from the players, especially in the first half. This was a huge match and yet many of the players gave the impression they couldn't be arsed.

It was gutless, shameful, shocking and embarrassing.

"We never really got to grips with the game at any stage," was Sparky's verdict. "It was very disappointing. The first half both sides were poor, there wasn't a lot of quality on show all evening. In the second half we once again switched off at the back, allowed the ball to get in the box and Forssell did very well. We really needed to show more quality on the night," he said.

I know that Hughes doesn't usually like to criticise the players in public, but there was no way he could defend that performance on Wednesday evening and put a positive "spin" on such a bitterly disappointing result.

There are a few key points which I think come out of Wednesday night's shambles.

* David Bentley still has a huge amount to learn. He's still a kid with bum fluff on his chin and since scoring a hat-trick against Man United he's done bugger all. Some of his attempts on goal were ridiculous. Shooting from 40 yards out with team-mates better placed was bloody infuriating to watch.

* In the second half of last season we built our team around a strong defence. But at the moment we're conceding stupid goals and apart from Bellamy we don't have enough quality going forward. This is a recipe for losing matches and our recent tally of just 2 points from the last 12 is pitiful from a team which Robbie Savage claimed was good enough to qualify for the Champions League.

* When he's not scoring, MGP simply doesn't do enough for the team. His contribution recently has been woeful.

* When Tugay is missing, we have no creativity in midfield. Emerton is useless.

* Playing Zurab at right-back and Lucas Neill as a left-back was a mistake. They both were like a fish out of water and they need to play in their favoured positions.

any hope of champions league blew up!!!

The Champions League fantasy blew up weeks ago mate. We aint good enough. Simple as that.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't watch games. Played well against Liverpool and well second half against Brum. I'll ask again - where's the evidence that teams are out running us?

400926[/snapback]

No one said teams were outrunning us!

We have relied on the high energy, phyisical game for much of this season. Our performances are clearly below the standard we set ourselves. This- in my opinion- is down to exhaustion.

Believe it or not, it's a scientific fact that the body can suffer burn out if it is pushed to it's limits week in, week out!

Physically, and mentally we look tired. The enforced break could not have come at a better time (well two weeks ago would have been better, but you know what I mean).

But at the moment we're conceding stupid goals and apart from Bellamy we don't have enough quality going forward.

400927[/snapback]

Excellent post AESF, however we have been conceding stupid goals for a while and not just this season - IMO we give up to easily in certain defensive situations and don't do enough to break down attacks - and comes back to what I posted earlier about how other teams seem to find us easy to score against given the chance.

As for the burn out -sorry TDI but just codswallup this is just a poor excuse for inexcusable performances - the players primarily concerned with the poor inept displays have not played a near full season anyway.

Yet again we had the chance to propel ourselves forward with a mighty leap -but looks like we have done the usuual and fell over our own shoelaces.

the lads need another trip to dubai laugh.gif

after that little bonding session we were on a roll

i wouldn't say we were burnt out, i'd just say the players are feeling hard done by as the liverpool goal was a dissgrace and ruined everything.

hopefully the break will sort their heads out and recharge the batteries.

As for the burn out -sorry TDI but just codswallup this is [/u]just a poor excuse for inexcusable performances -  the players primarily concerned with the poor inept displays have not played a near full season anyway.

400933[/snapback]

Sorry Stu, but you're wrong. As a team we are looking lethargic, that could not be labelled against us in the first half of the season, irrespective of the line up!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're very onedimensional going forward. We play ball to feet, and try to set up quick one-two's, which does not work against teams with 10 men twenty yards from their own goal. We let Kuqi come on, and it usually helps. But we need our wingers to run at defenders more, the only times we get past the fullbacks is with Bellamy, leaving the box empty of Blackburn players.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're very onedimensional going forward. We play ball to feet, and try to set up quick one-two's, which does not work against teams with 10 men twenty yards from their own goal. We let Kuqi come on, and it usually helps. But we need our wingers to run at defenders more, the only times we get past the fullbacks is with Bellamy, leaving the box empty of Blackburn players.

400941[/snapback]

i'll agree with that though lucas neill likes to power forward and take a few people on but due to his defensive responsabilities he can't do it too often.

our midfield wide players are not wingers imo, pedersen isn't the quickest and won't skin someone down the line like say a duff, and whoever plays or the right i.e bentley/reid prefer to play in the centre and emerton on his day is top drawer but his day doesn't come round too often.

Think the basic thing is we shouldn't try to run before we can walk.

I just hope we make that 6th place and bring in a couple of quality players in the summer to build on this seasons massive acheivment.

400713[/snapback]

These are the very points I was trying to make in my last post. It is not that I don't want Rovers playing in the CL per se, rather that I dont want to see them go in "half cocked" and make a laughing stock of the club as happened last time they were there. That episode took a lot of living down, and there are still occasional snide references to it from various commentators and pundits.

What I would prefer to happen is that we get into the EUFA Cup and "test the water" with whatever team Sparky can muster for us during the close season. Then, hopefully, we will do well and can kick on from there, and again hopefully finish next year in a CL spot.

No one said teams were outrunning us!

We have relied on the high energy, phyisical game for much of this season. Our performances are clearly below the standard we set ourselves. This- in my opinion- is down to exhaustion.

Believe it or not, it's a scientific fact that the body can suffer burn out if it is pushed to it's limits week in, week out!

Physically, and mentally we look tired. The enforced break could not have come at a better time (well two weeks ago would have been better, but you know what I mean).

400931[/snapback]

Teams aren't outrunning us, but we look physically tired? That doesn't make sense.

There are reasons why we haven't beaten Liverpool and Brum and tiredness wasn't one of them.

We had more of the ball than Liverpool and more of the ball than Brum in the second half. If we had been knackered, we'd have been chasing the ball, not keeping it.

Once more - evidence of burn out? It's the same old story, if we lose there's always the "not trying" excuses thrown around. Same with "burn out".

Forgot all about her, so no I didn't see her. I'll tell you what though, St Andrews isn't a patch on Ewood. Got a glimpse of the boardroom and it's not in the same class as the oak panelled boardroom at Ewood.

Small club, small mentality. biggrin.gif

We're not defending well enough.

A bit more on the burn out theory mister D? smile.gif

400955[/snapback]

disagree den.

bellamy admitted it on talksport, the other monday.

"pro -zone shows the sprints and areas covered are getting shorter and we're not creating as much."

hughes as indicated himself that we have a lot of tired players. "the break may have come at a good time."

a lot of our players have played most games, we're paying the price for having a small squad.

rovers are mentally and physically knackered!

Edited by pleasure

I think it is also testament to just how hard they have been working over the course of the season. I still think we are outworking our opposition most games and have more of the ball, but whereas we would be 20-30 percent above them now we are perhaps only 5 or 10. This to me can make a lot of difference as to whether or not you are able to close them down everytime they get the ball or just put in that bit of effort that creates or finishes off a chance. Ten days should be more than enough to get them rested and repaired for a very important three games.

disagree den.

bellamy admitted it on talksport, the other monday.

"pro -zone shows the sprints and areas covered are getting shorter and we're not creating as much."

hughes as indicated himself that we have a lot of tired players. "the break may have come at a good time."

a lot of our players have played most games, we're paying the price for having a small squad.

rovers are mentally and physically knackered!

400983[/snapback]

None of that says we're burned out.

Nor did I say that the players aren't tired. I've no doubt all players at all clubs are tired.

All I'm saying is that the reason for the dip in results is nothing to do with burn out, it's to do with form, and form isn't that bad.

TDI has opened a can of worms - lets hear it for a good debate biggrin.gif

Personally - as I stated earlier - I agree with him, maybe "burnt out" is a little extreme, but we seem half a yard slower, aren't winning as many second balls etc etc. For me the thing that shows it more than ever is the passing possibilities that players have - previously when a player had the ball he would have numerous options (as players were making space) - lately the options have greatly reduced - for me this is the sign of either a team low on energy or confidence.

As for the MGP debate - his goals over the season have masked some average performances. But as I have often stated - he was worth a place in the team for that alone. However, take away those goals - and his worth is greatly reduced. Lets not forget though his excellent dead ball delivery - but I don't feel that is enough alone to keep Peter out of the side.

Been able to see the last 4 games live.........big, big disappointment. There was absolutely no excitement at all watching this last game. It was so frustrating to see the lack of ideas when we ventured into their territory. Even Bellamy looked out of sorts....but he gets no quality support at all. It is sad that the introduction of Kuqi (who has been lambasted by just about everybody on here) was the catalyst for an improvement in attack.

Reid has some fine qualities...but i groaned every time He received the ball in midfield as he takes a couple of seconds to decide what to do - and then passes the ball sideways....we lost all momentum every time.

Every build up is painfully slow and predictable....where is the quick slick passing we saw when we were storming up the table.

I'm sorry guys but this stuff is crap to watch.......I feel sorry for the people who are paying to watch it.

Nor did I say that the players aren't tired. I've no doubt all players at all clubs are tired.

All I'm saying is that the reason for the dip in results is nothing to do with burn out, it's to do with form, and form isn't that bad.

400997[/snapback]

Exactly Den - there you go TDI

What I could guarantee is - if we had been playing a Semi Final this weekend - we would certainly not see a performance similar to the ones what we have been watching over the last month or so.

Too many players off colour - no excuses please the players know how long the season lasts

400997[/snapback]

it's splitting heirs a bit den. laugh.gif

the form and tiredness are linked and although we've had some good results, the performances have been dipping for a while (i'm not including the 2nd half @ brum, the best performance since we lost to spurs).

several rovers players are tired and in need of a rest and, after this 10 day break, i reckon we'll see a marked improvement.

(hoping unsure.gif )

Edited by pleasure

We're not defending well enough.

A bit more on the burn out theory mister D? smile.gif

400955[/snapback]

Fair enough we're not defending too well, but you know we have to create chances, take som shots at the goal etc - in order to win games. We haven't exactly created a lot of chances lately. So in conclusion, poor defending, poor attacking amounts to poor form.

rolleyes.gif

After this week-end's games we would still be 6th so I didn't bother reading this thread until now.

I knew the posts would be ridiculous and I've not been disappointed.

Thanks for the laughs lads- there are some right comedians on here!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.