BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham City 2-1 Rovers

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm yes he got booed every time he got the ball. After the second goal for Brum went in, the whole ground sang Robbie Savage, youre a wnker, youre a wnker, for about five minutes.

Except most of the Rovers fans of course.

400677[/snapback]

rover.gif pity i did'nt go tinykit.gif

. At 1-1 there was always another goal in the game and even though it looked like rovers would get it, it actually went to Brum. It happens sometimes.

400655[/snapback]

All very calm, reasoned and rational but football ain't like that.

We lost again, we could lose a coveted place in Europe and I'm teed off about it.

It ain't looking good: Newcastle have the momentum and we've lost it.

Hughes needs to conjure a win or two from somewhere or it's bye-bye Bellamy at the end of the season.

Narked off that we lost to Big Club, but would seem that they're on a good run and scrapping to get out of relegation, so I guess, more up for it.

Hughes has to give a kick up the bum to the players and get them playing well if we are even to entertain thoughts of playing in Europe next season. Hoping that UEFA places could extend to 7th, just in case but there would be the Intertoto as a back door into Europe.

Couldn't make the game last night, just watched the Ford Football Special on Sky.

From the highlights i'd say:

Both sides were poor firts half - particularly us. MGP was awful again, we are basically carrying him and to put it bluntly based on his contribution we are playing with 10 men for 90 % of the game when he's on the pitch. We seem to lack presence upfront, I for one thought giving Bentley a go up front is worth while, but maybe in games like this the physical presence of Kuqi (all be it with a lack of ability) would be more beneficial. Our passing was very poor as well. Don't think the change round at the back helped things at all either.

Second half we were better and dominated large spells. The introduction of Peter for MGP made a huge difference. We created some half decent chances, the header which hit the post and also Bellers strike come to mind. Problem is our defending is dreadful at times (something we were so good at not too long back), I think this was only made worse by the changes MH made to the back four. Both Brum goals were down to woeful defending.

A while back we would have won this game 1-0, but now we cant seem to keep a clean sheet.

Major positive for me was Sergio Peter, but sadly it also highlighted just how poor MGP has been recently.

Think perhaps the players need on of MH's kicks up the arse, similar to the one he's only needed to do twice since he's been manager.

Reminds me of souness defending (then again Zurab was at Right Back, Todd and Nelsen Centre and Neill Left Back, then Mokoena Went Right Back, zurab went Centre Back with Nelsen)

Conceded 2 against Birmingham

Conceded 1 (could easily have been 3 if cisse was good - hit post and had 1on1) against Liveprool

Conceded 2 against Portsmouth

Conceded 2 (luckily only one counted) against Wigan

Conceded 2 against Spurs

Conceded 2 against Boro!

Not looking too good lately!

Worst thing to happen, is Newcastle get 6th place with a single better goal difference!

I'm extremely disappointed with last nights result. It was a game that we should have won, but didn't. We are struggling at the minute and will have to pick our form up, if we are to get into Europe. I'm not going to criticise the players, because they have done so well to get us into this position, I just hope that the season doesn't peter out.

400635[/snapback]

That just about says what I am feeling too. Last night after watching it on the Sky highlights there was a strong temptation to get straight on here and blast all and sundry (with the exception of Peter and Friedal) but luckily I resisted, and in the morning light rationality has returned.

Yes it was a bad one to lose, and we did not play well as a team, but as others have already said in various posts, maybe it is a blessing in disguise that we have been found out.

Basically we are a good team that has made a fantastic improvement from last year. But there is obviously still a way to go before we are ready to perform well in European competition, and it is probably best that we don't qualify this year. let's see what further miracles Sparky can work in the close season to strengthen the team overall. Then next year who knows?

Edited by Fife Rover

Please no one say that it is good that we haven't made the Champions League or don't make the UEFA cup. What kind of a theory is that?!?!?

We need all the money, exposure, success and experience we can get. Were Boro or Bolton embarrassed this year? Are we a better side then they are?

dont no what hughes was doing last night played the complete wrong team and the wrong tactics we went to brum looking for a draw why? sergio peter played god he should start next game drop pedersen he has been crap lately and start kuqi we have only looked threatening when he is playing upfrot.

dont no what hughes was doing last night played the complete wrong team and the wrong tactics we went to brum looking for a draw why?

400706[/snapback]

couldn't agree more, after missing the teams being read out i was trying to figure out if he was playing Kuqi, Dickov or Pong up front. Gave up in the end.

Hughes probably got the defensive call right, Gray has not looked strong defensively and pennant would have had him for breakfast.

After the worst first half i have seen in a long time, in which we were lucky to go in all square the second was ours all the way until they scored. Fantastic play to get us back into the game and then we really should have made our posession pay off and sealed the game.

Big Club Going Down, Big Club Big Club Going Down! Just need to get my voice back now tongue.gif

one point about lastnight was that we the fans were so up for the game and the players didn't look at all interested.

i dunno what is going on with todd in and out of the side, pongo missing a weird looking back 4, i think maybe the stuffing had has been knocked out of us by losing to liverpool and they just wern't up for the fight lastnight and in the rain too sad.gif

Please no one say that it is good that we haven't made the Champions League or don't make the UEFA cup. What kind of a theory is that?!?!?

We need all the money, exposure, success and experience we can get. Were Boro or Bolton embarrassed this year? Are we a better side then they are?

400703[/snapback]

Agree with you, the money and exposure would be excellent. This is a difficult one though, I have no worries about us being in the UEFA cup at all - think we could do OK and give a better and more global image of the club.

If I'm honest I think that the CL is a controversial one (doesn't look like it matters now though sad.gif ) . This would have provided us with great exposure and also a massive financial boost. The thing for me in this would be that we would have to use the cash and lure of being in the Champs League THIS summer to strengthen the squad with quality players looking for CL football. My worry would be if we didn't do this (and I think there's a chance we wouldn't) the effect on the club (other than the finances) would be detremental. We could be out of our depth with our current squad at this level, especially considering the extra matches we'd be playing. We could end up being dumped out at the first hurdle.

Think the basic thing is we shouldn't try to run before we can walk.

I just hope we make that 6th place and bring in a couple of quality players in the summer to build on this seasons massive acheivment.

If we don't win against Charlton or Chelski then we can panic. At the end of the day we've been damn lucky all season and don't deserve to be in this position. Some people may not share my view but we should have lost against villa at home and wigan at home to name a few. We're lucky to be in the top 8 so I believe it will be classed as a successful season.

400552[/snapback]

Spot on. People still bleating about the Cisse offside, and conveniently forgetting about the hand of Ped, or John Filan getting battered so we could equalise against Wigan.

We've had a cracking season and 6th is still a real possibility, if only for the income. This season we have gained a little more respect amid the football fraternity, and shown a clean pair of heels to the likes of Bolton, West Ham, Charlton, Borough etc.

Personally I'm chuffed to bits with this season's achievements, but people on here will continue to p1ss and moan.

One recurring fault with us is our ability to concede a goal just after we have scored and just when the opposition are coming at us with all guns blazing. Elation has turned quickly into despair too often of late. In the lsat month we saw it at Spurs, Pompey and last night. Shutting up shop is a necessary ability at all levels but in the Prem it's compulsory.

One recurring fault with us is our ability to concede a goal just after we have scored and just when the opposition are coming at us with all guns blazing.  Elation has turned quickly into despair too often of late.  In the lsat month we saw it at Spurs, Pompey and last night.  Shutting up shop is a necessary ability at all levels but in the Prem it's compulsory.

400735[/snapback]

Comes back to what I commented upon a couple of months back regarding how teams always seem to score easily against us given a chance yet we struggle and have to really work at scoring and waste far too many 'scoring'opportunities.

Last night reminds me so much of the West Ham game some seasons back when they where relegated.

Typical Rovers always take their foot of the pedal too early - same in games when we seem to be coasting something which we all know is nothing new for some reason.

One thing is certain which I forgot about in the player of the season thread, which I disagree with Hughes upon and that is IMO we are at present most of the time a one man team - if Bellamy doesn't fire neither does the team. Nobody else appears to have the urge/drive to try to force the issue.

Comes back to what I commented upon a couple of months back regarding how teams always seem to score easily against us given a chance yet we struggle and have to really work at scoring and waste far too many 'scoring'opportunities.

Last night reminds me so much of the West Ham game some seasons back when they where relegated.

Typical Rovers always take their foot of the pedal too early - same in games when we seem to be coasting something which we all know is nothing new for some reason.

One thing is certain which I forgot about in the player of the season thread,  which I disagree with Hughes upon and that is IMO we are at present most of the time a one man team - if Bellamy doesn't fire neither does the team. Nobody else appears to have the urge/drive to try to force the issue.

400738[/snapback]

desperately missing Tugay me thinks

Thanks for the snapshots, SSlater. Keep 'em coming!

I especially liked 'lil chav gets kicked out', with the

guy throwing up the 'sign' down in the lower corner, liked 'barmy army',

althou they don't really look all that barmy, do they..

mostly bored sh*teless !

Very nice. smile.gif

Edited by blue/white

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.